Sousou no Frieren

@SotiCoto Absolutely right about this manga being boring. It literally sucks cock. I come back to this comment section every once in a while too see people calling this a 'masterpiece'. 15 chapters in and apparently it's better then berserk, steel ball run, etc..

It's a slow paced manga, expected since the MC is an elf hell bent on obtaining knowledge, if you ask me. But I absolutely love that is's
taking place after the hero's party defeated the Demon King and the dealings of the aftermath, even 80 years later.

Fed-Kun's army
i love how there's a flame war in the comments every time someone disagrees with an opinion there's almost as much drama in the comments as there is in the manga
great manga btw i love it and enjoy it alot

@MonkBonkie If it "literally suck cock" then why you keep coming back? Is seeing a manga that you don't like being praised bother you that much that you gotta keep coming back and checking the comment in hope that more people agree with you? And that SotiCoto guy are being a cunt that calling other "idiots" for having a different taste and opinion.

This is fun, like the usual there'll be detractors saying "ughhh but x is way better than this." Idk give it a read and maybe you'll like it. I always wanted what it would be like for the fabled races that lives for thousands of years would live after their original hero party dies.

@NextUniverse
I'd say it is, slow paced stories are not for everybody, but this series is quite well done compared to others of it's style and genre, and that's how it has to be rated (you have to compare apples to other apples, but that doesn't mean everybody is gonna like apples, even great ones).
Personally I didn't rate it quite that high anyway, since I've seen a lot of the things done here before, and I prefer ratings of above 9 for things that are great and also reinvent the wheel to some degree, which isn't really the case here.
But considering how generous many series get rated on this site, this seems completely appropriate to me.

@nroejb can you give me some recommendations of something similar to this? the other manga similar to this one that I know is only Killing Me/Killing You and I need more of this kind of story

was interesting for a bit but it's just too slow paced and generic for its own good. If a slower paced Slice of Life-ish story about the aftermath of *defeating the demon lord yadayadayada* decades after the fact sounds interesting, go for it, but just know that if you want some proper shounen type story, this is frankly mediocre, the rating this site gives is wayyyy too generous. This is like a 7.5 at best. The fuck outta here with that 9.3 rating, seriously?

@allyeeee it’s just mangadex thing you know? People here love to start debates while disguising it as if they’re just stating their opinions.... like several comments below, i’ve seen that guy saying this manga is overrated, 3/10 and incredibly dull something something without proper explanation of why he gave those review. Even a monkey can give better review than that and i can only see it as some troll trying to start comment war While at it making himself look smart and not mainstream LOL 😂

The story is lovely and all but is it really all about lamenting about the past? Also the art is the generic shit I would find in any other isekai/fantasy and I find it hard to believe this topped off berserk and even jojo part 7 in the rankings. It's pretty slow-paced and pretty saddening nonetheless where does the story suppose to go on from here? This story is just a whole epilogue about characters we never even get to develop with so I find it hard to get pretty teared up when I don't even know any of these characters. I don't even know how to rate this one.

@Ozys
Seeing that I don't know the series, I don't know what they share in common, are you interested in the story telling style and pacing, or aspects of the thematic content, and if so which aspects exactly?

Fed-Kun's army
This manga never fails to amaze me! The latest chapter especially since it showed a bit of frieren fighting power. Let's a go!

@nroejb That manga has similar kind of theme with this one, except that the MCs in that manga are just spectators of the stories instead of directly involved in their stories. So I like the story I guess, just something about someone/a group of people traveling and seeing all sorts of stories

@Ozys
Journey based traditional fantasy...
Well as far as finished series go, what comes to mind immediately would be:
-"Record of Loddoss War: The Grey Witch" (the obvious choice of the most influential genre codifier)
-Half the other Redcord of Lodoss War comics(don't remember all the names)
-"Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind" (not really a journey focused manga series, but she comes around and there's a lot of exploration anyway)
-"Caravan Kidd", "Ozanari Dungeon", "Choujuu Densetsu Gestalt" and "Dragon Half" for all the originally annoying 80's and 90's fantasy tropes that by now may either be seen as nostalgic for older or completely new for younger readers.
-Helck (doesn't start out as a journey but does turn into one for quite a while)
-"Spice and Wolf" (started strong but I lost interest along the way and only bought them all out of obligation)
-"Sekai Maou" and "Yotsukoto" (relatively new, slow paced and somewhat small scaled stories of the same author, I prefer the former)

as for ongoing series:
-"Henkyou No Roukishi - Bard Loen" (the last journey of a retired Knight)
-Boukensha Ni Naritai To Miyako Ni Deteitta Musume Ga S Rank Ni Natteta (Not really journey based but still somewhat fitting)
-Tsuyokute New Saga (a new series using many old tropes, some of which I'd have preferred to remain forgotten)

I tried to have a mix of different styles,but half of these I only read on paper, so I don't know how available they are on the net.

Users who are viewing this thread