Sousou no Frieren

Fim

Unlike most series, were other races are just humans with a few extra decorations, demons here actually deserve the name. How this could deserve to be called boring really is beyond me.

If I hadn't already been a fan of hers, I would be now. I'm hoping for even more bloodshed in the next few chapters.

After reading the 15 available chapters, I'm still yet to see what about this manga is a 9/10.

Thoroughly convinced I need to stop sorting via rating because it's clear my standards for what is worth a 9 varies greatly from everyone else.

Dex-chan lover
@RaijinWolf It’s mangadex - ratings are inflated. I gave this a ten even though I would only rate it a 8 normally on MAL. When in Rome, do what the Romans do I suppose.

Personal tastes are pretty varying. I like this manga quite a bit. You can feel the vast lifespan of Frieren and the changes of the world surrounding Frieren despite her not changing. It feels melodramatic. At the same time, it’s just a chilling read about their journey and have your heartstrings get tugged simultaneously.

Each to their own.

Dex-chan lover
@RaijinWolf
popular and good are distinct most of the time, really.
some people enjoy deep character and world building, some enjoy battle with sakugas, some enjoy silly romcom, etc

and now i wonder, what manga you would consider worth a 9 from your taste?

@igenetycs what so incredibly boring about this approach tho? We’ve seen a ton of manga and light novel with demon protagonist, good demon, hot demon, cheerful demon, clumsy demon, heck there’s even tsundere demon and don’t forget the f*ckin most basic demon of all the DEMON KING....... so now tell me what so boring about this manga’s demon? If people truly understand what they are talking about i dont think they’ll call this approach boring at all

Double-page supporter
All the people in the last chapter who tried to defend the demons as being victims of that nasty racist Frieren.

Even when the demons flat out said she was completely correct, they still tried to claim that demons were just misunderstood, #notalldemons, etc.

With this chapter, it just showed that if those commenters were in this world, they would now be dead due to their own naivete and ignorance. Now they'll just complain "oh it's so boring/lazy for the demons to be straight-up evil", because the reality of the manga didn't line up with their imagined reality.

Edit: It's probably the same people who got upset at Goblin Slayer for being correct about the unrepentant evil nature of all goblins.

Banned
Well... this is easily one of the 3 most overrated manga on this entire site...
... which is convenient, as I determined that it warrants a 3/10.
It is dreadfully dull, dreadfully shallow, clichéd, there is no drama, no substance, no incentive to be invested in anything that is happening. It doesn't even have good art. There is nothing interesting about it.
It is just a generic "time passes around an immortal" type plot so far where nothing really happens, and even when the time-skipping finally slows to a crawl, the elf is still trying to waste time, the humans are still just putting up with it, and nothing changes... yet apparently 4133 idiots saw fit to vote it a 10. To be fair, the vast majority of manga on this site seems to get more 10s than anything else, regardless of how bad it is... so the complaint is partly just levelled at people always opting for the extremes.
But even that aside, that is an awful lot of extreme approval for something so shallow and uneventful. I guess people really are completely incomprehensible. By comparison, I'm apparently only the 6th voter to give it a 3.

@RaijinWolf : Word. Even among immortal timeskip stories, this one is painfully dull.

@aramil31 : And you don't think the demons being all "hur hur, we so evil" isn't bad writing? You don't think it isn't extremely inconsistent that these demons who apparently only mimic human speech to deceive them are using that very same speech to communicate normally to each other?
And I expect most commenters here wouldn't survive too long in a world like that anyway simply due to too many years spent living in an advanced, sterilised environment built to keep weaklings alive. I guarantee you half this page would be dead of dysentery or something within a month. Or cry themselves to death in a corner after stubbing their toe and find the average doctor uses leeches and weeds from the back garden.

@Yourself : Comparing this to Dungeon Meshi is like comparing shit to steak. That is a far superior manga on all accounts.

@MangaAce1 : Kinda ironic, since the last two chapters, despite still being badly written, are about the closest thing to original in this manga since the distance-reveal of that rock that the girl blasted. I almost considered giving this a 4 instead of a 3... but decided not to at the last minute mostly because this boring dross is saturated with undeserved 10s. That and I didn't want anyone to believe I rated this on the same level as a trashy isekai about a farmer who fucks a hundred elves every day (hint: it is less entertaining than that).

Banned
@comeonnow0 : This and this... which I rated a 2 and a 1 respectively (i.e. worse than this, though not by much). You could probably find my rants of disapproval in the comments sections on either without much trouble.

Technically I also gave a very low rating to Made in Abyss... but that was less an indicator of low story quality, per-se, and more because reading it is like coming back from holiday and finding that your daughter has been gang-raped to death by the police and the entire neighbourhood claims she deserved it. It is the sort of story H.P. Lovecraft would have written short stories about people reading and going insane from it. By all accounts it was masterfully well done if the entire purpose of the story is to driver readers to suicide.

I don't know about "Solo Leveling". I think I saw the title briefly pop up before I changed the language to Japanese. I absolutely do not touch Korean nor Chinese stuff, so I can't judge that.

a simple masterpiece it seems...
which seems pretty original...
(if somebody knows other manga like this please say so and tag me...)

Fed-Kun's army
@SotiCoto Would you mind elaborating on this: "It is dreadfully dull, dreadfully shallow, clichéd, there is no drama, no substance, no incentive to be invested in anything that is happening. It doesn't even have good art. There is nothing interesting about it."? I'm just curious. Also if it doesn't bother you too much, could you recommend me manga's that are similar to this one but are deemed to be superior by you?

Contributor
@Logic It's boring because we're going to have to see more and more of these demons, and the author thus far has allowed for no variability in their personalities or morality. It's always going to be the same thing: demons bad, kill demons. Not a particularly compelling villain, as far as I'm concerned. Especially long term - but maybe the author will make them more interesting as time goes on.

@SotiCoto Sorry bud, the moment you said you don't touch something based merely on its origin and qualities unrelated to the actual work, your entire opinion is discarded.

Banned
@NizumiHD : How similar? I usually avoid manga that are too timeskip-heavy since time has this nasty habit of changing things unseen that make any act of learning about the world or psychologically investing in it pointless. Fumetsu no Anata e is a tiny bit better and does the same thing... but still only a tiny bit. Again I rated it way lower than the average because this sort of thing doesn't appeal to me.
Not to say all vaguely similar plots are the same... but I've not encountered a good one within manga. I'd totally watch Highlander again though... probably because it is mostly around decapitating other immortals and not dwelling on the fleeting affairs of mortals.
Point is if you want me to name better manga, they're not going to be similar... well, besides the fantasy sense. Most of what I read here are fantasy manga.

@HxHexa : Now now, little retarded nobody. That is the wrong place to use the passive voice. If you want to discard my opinions because I only want to read manga on a manga site, that is your own pointless, irrelevant decision. It isn't like any of your opinions mattered at all in the first place, but you should at least take responsibility for them.

Dex-chan lover
Sorry bud, the moment you said you don't touch something based merely on its origin and qualities unrelated to the actual work, your entire opinion is discarded.
@HxHexa should've said:
i am sorry, but your entire opinion is discarded the moment you said you don't touch something based merely on its origin and qualities unrelated to the actual work. bud.
maybe that way, he'll consider your opinion

@SotiCoto Exactly, dear little nobody. I want to discard your opinion, and I suggest others do the same. What you got wrong though was trying to frame my point as discarding your opinion merely because you "only want to read manga on a manga site." I suggest others discard your opinion because you could not even attempt to be open-minded enough to read anything that is not from your superior Nipponland. It's pointless to take any opinion from someone with a mind that closed, and it's pointless to expect any kind of worthy discussion from such a person anyways.

didn't think I would enjoy this manga as much as I do when I started reading it, kinda slow but they make it both work and make it enjoyable.

Banned
@HxHexa : I guess you don't realise the irony of what you said there, huh? Figures...

Well whatever... Who even knows how many levels of stupid conclusions you've falsely jumped to? I'm not under some pointless obligation to be "open-minded" for the sake of some irrelevant skidmark like yourself. As I said, I'm here to read manga. It isn't out of some belief that Japan is an inherently superior country... but simply because that is what I am in the mind to peruse. The Chinese and Korean equivalents don't interest me. If it were about live action martial arts films, my favour would go in the opposite direction (the Japanese can't choreograph for shit)... but it isn't.

... Y'know, now I think about it, why am I spending my time trying to explain this to some know-nothing shit like you? There is a block function for omitting the trash of this site. I can just use that. Your entire existence is discarded.

@SotiCoto: It isn't out of some belief that Japan is an inherently superior country... but simply because that is what I am in the mind to peruse. The Chinese and Korean equivalents don't interest me.

lol man contradicts himself in the same post then announce to the world that he decided to push block because "it isn't worth his time" after typing out nearly 3 paragraphs worth of cool-kid language trying to save face. Absolutely hilarious.

Even though you blocked me so you won't see this, I guess you are right in that there is no worth in trying to explain yourself to randos on the Internet. Victories on the Internet always feel hollow. In the end, I guess we could still agree that this is a waste of time, friend.

Users who are viewing this thread