Sousou no Frieren

@MonkBonkie Ironic since you wasted my time. I asked for your recommendation considering you called this little gem generic. This manga is no masterpiece but it is definitely better than most series I have read and I have read almost all trash with isekai, fantasy tags. Now I know you are just a troll. Well played, I guess.

Group Leader
@MonkBonkie yes, this a "standard" fantasy story.
The author knows it.
And they are doing this wonderfully. It's the best "normal" fantasy I've read in a long, very long while and that's why most of the people here are loving it.
It's a smooth, cool and normal story, nicely written, packed with emotions and the feeling of adventure. Nothing superficial, only what matters and embellish the story.

@cheezybr3ad I am not weak to tears, but I have to admit, it deserves it. Truly refreshing, as you said.

Oh and @MonkBonkie when @SasugaAinzSama asked you about your better list of fantasy, it's not about a "waste" of time but rather inviting other people to what you believe is indeed better, and further provide solid basis of why you claim this to be less than average.

Contributor
Dang, this is the highest rated manga on md atm. It’s kinda cool having read it from the start.

@MonkBonkie its amazing BECAUSE its so simple. it'd argue this "standard fantasy story" is more unique than the stuff coming out right now, as its just a well done story with actual care put into it. its not about the idea, but how its executed. and this is executed very well.

also if you're not gonna read someone's arguement because "its too long" then you're trolling. cya

This manga abuses the Lord of the Rings-style ending to squeeze tears from the very first page, this should be prohibited!

Dex-chan lover
Can somebody explain why this is the highest rated manga on here? This just seems like your 74629. Isekai/Fantasy-bore.

Fed-Kun's army
@MangaField because it's about after story when Demon lord defeated, and half of the party died because old ages, and about the mage tracing her journey with the hero parties in hoping understanding the late hero

This is actually really good. I think it's different from all other fantasy genre mangas I've read before. Explains why the rating is so high.

@MangaField
There's this vague sorrow that comes with desperately trying to hold onto the slowly fading vestiges of happier times, as seen with Frieren's obsession with magic. Like other great pieces, it's literally the journey that charms the reader, which is often misunderstood in the "slow life" braindead harem stories that pervades so called fantasy isekai nowadays, which are nothing but excuses to shove rpg isekai-ish tropes.

Even this conflict with the demons feels like background noise.

Group Leader
@MonkBonkie 3-4 lines are "too long". I better understand your sorry person now, you should indeed stop wasting your and others' time by trying to make a point when you can't even back it up.

@Soulofkefka

Apologies for another @, I had a thought when reading the most recent chapter on the topic of the reason why demons are so simply straightforwardly "evil" by nature.

They're foils for Frieren. Demons are otherworldly creatures with power that far exceeds that of humanity, with a blunt and calculating mindset. They don't rely on more "human" emotions and attachments, although their allegiance pits them against humanity. They, like Frieren to them, will kill mercilessly. They also share the same sense of time. Frieren, prior to her developments through meeting humans, has been implied to similarly lack emotional depth (changing over the course of this story ofc). Throughout the heroes' journey, she did not understand many of their pit stops, minor objectives, and sentiments. Only nearly a century after, reflecting back, does she begin to realize that she wants to. Thereafter, nearly all of her motivations are oriented around trying to understand by retracing her steps. Still, even as of chapter 18, it's difficult to say if her mindset is closer to a human's than a demon's—her rationale was
because she was told it was bad in the past

The demons are Frieren if she was aligned against humanity, without having had the eye-opening experience of the heroes' party. In many aspects, they're more similar to her.

Users who are viewing this thread