Sousou no Frieren

@vodkavodka
Sometimes one has to admit that their taste deviates from the norm. It's not the manga, it's you. Odds are you either don't like fantasy or only like particular settings and tones that you didn't find here.
In the end rating is only a popularity contest. Don't feel bad, since it happens to the best of us. I probably think one of your favorite manga is overrated as well.

@vodkavodka you not liking =/= it being overrated. The reason why people like is cause it is a fresh take on fantasy, not borrowing much if anything from the mountains of cookie cutter ones out today. The story is unique and keeps you wanting more. The pace is relaxing and takes you along for the ride, while always having a bit of a feeling of melancholy looming in the background.

What an interesting take on fantasy. Taken from the eyes of someone so long lived that human history is but a blip. What a refreshing read.

@Acciunt Wow, I could not find the best way to describe this manga, but you put it beautifully.

Only 3 chapters in and I am holding back tears. Best manga I have read in a while.

Wow, don’t I love finishing a trilogy that I bawled my eyes out at, and when I decide to read some manga to take a break from heartbreaking books I read this gem. Made me shed a tear multiple times, relaxed slow fantasy not focused on how broken the mc is.

@Acciunt
I think the "fresh take on fantasy, not borrowing much if anything from the mountains of cookie cutter ones out today" depends on the definition. I'll definitively agree to the fresh take since the old tropes are mixed up in new and interesting ways, but as far as borrowing things goes, using Elves for reflecting on the ups and downs of immortality for example has at least be a thing since Tolkien, and I'm sure even some of the modern cookie cutters do it as well.
Also I've seen one or another deliberate references to classic Record of Lodoss War in this series, a franchise that still has stories released every now and then, and could technically be seen as the inventor and prototype of the cookie cutter as far as modern japanese fantasy is concerned, so there's probably a lot of other modern series of all kinds of quality making references to it as well.

After reading this, maybe having an eternal life doesn't seem as nice as it sounds. Seeing your name, achievements, memories, friends all slowly forgotten as time mercilessly swept it all away. Finally become apathetic to everything.

Still a good read. I like it a lot

I noot good with this kind of story, i can't imagine about Fern and Stark in their old and yet Frieren still same as always.

And btw is this a weekly release?

I'm a tad disappointed that the only other elf in the story did not also have a child like appearance, perhaps the author is going for something like the elves look the way they feel about themselves?

and ya'll saying this is over rated are bloody insane. IMO there isn't a better incomplete story on mangadex.

It's actually really good world building, it gives you hints that the world is even older and has an actual history beyond most "hero slays the demon king" settings. It reminds me a bit of Wheel of Time in that regard, the idea that the world is possibly older than you might suspect because of the age and even the rarity of elves and one's especially like the monk.

Dex-chan lover
@Isekaijin @Acciunt @osqmu
I didn't say the story is bad though. I won't swallow it whole in one go, singing songs how great it is, but maybe it worth reading.
Still, I feel my opinion is objective enough to say it's definitely not the best title on the planet. If the Mangadex rating system hadn't been broken so much by people voting 10-stars for everything, or bayesian rating hadn't been shit, I would say that this title is about 7 out of 10 stars. Sadly, Mangadex doesn't doing anything to fix the problem of ratings turning into a meaningless feature. Personally, I feel like 10 stars is too much for the general audience to choose from.

@vodkavodka I don't disagree with you on that front about the 10 stars being too much, general audience wise I think a like/dislike would be perfect.

@vodkavodka
I strongly disagree, this is a clear 8/10 no matter how I look at it.
But I agree that the fact that people are most likely to only vote if they love or hate something, making 10 and 0 (or 1 if there's no 0) the most common rating number is certainly leading to some skewed results.
A great work that deliberately provokes to challange the audience will almost always be rated worse than something that is good or even just fine and tries nothing more than to be pleasant.
Not that this is the case here, this comic clearly tries to make a statement, it's just that few people are passionate about the though of immortality, so there's few passion downvotes.

I wish you could sort ratings by age of the user. Zoomers have such unbelievably shit taste. Isekaishit, romcom and webtoon garbage always on top.

Users who are viewing this thread