Standardized Chapter Naming

This may just be me but there needs to be a standardized way of naming chapters when uploading. It varies far to much depending on uploader. IE Ch.11/Vol.2 Ch.1/Vol.2 Ch.11 and/or having chapter title after it all. Perhaps even adding different columns for volume, chapter & chapter title.

Tho I do realize this would be quite hard to implement for all the titles already uploaded.

I think what’s worse is Chapters 1.1 and 1.2 because the gets really frustrating. .5 is okay for extras or omakes though.

Double-page supporter
> I think what’s worse is Chapters 1.1 and 1.2

Why? Chapter 1 part 1, chapter 1 part 2. What's wrong with this?

Fed-Kun's army
How can you standardize them when they can't all fit into a specific standard to begin with. There are:
- Chapters that do belong to a volume and chapters that do not (the ones being published in magazines, webcomic sites, doujins, etc.)
- Chapters that have titles and chapters that don't

Even if you somehow categorize a manga into specific types for the uploading, there's nothing to guarantee that all the chapters of that manga can fit into it.

Group Leader
The chapter numbers and volume numbers are separate fields when uploading, just that MangaDex combines them into the title. The discrepancies are generally due to the fact that chapters don't belong in a volume until a volume releases, that chapters don't always have names, that omakes and special chapters exist, etc.

Dex-chan lover
We already have a rules on this:

3.4.3 Only add volume numbers to chapters that have already been specifically published together in a single full volume. Make sure the numbers are correct. Otherwise, the volume field should be left empty.

3.4.4 Use decimals (1.1, 1.2, etc.) for bonus chapters/omake/etc. Depending on the amount of chapters, the decimal may have to be zero padded to the appropriate amount of digits to ensure correct sorting (1.09, 1.10, etc.)

3.4.4 doesn't seem to be enforced very well at all. A lot of regular chapters are named using decimals.

Dex-chan lover
I'm not sure if 3.4.4 was made with the awareness of officially split chapters being a thing

There's not much you can do when some series have all over the place official chapter numbering
85e61b5e20.png

What I mean by Vol.2 Ch.1 is that some chapters are counted by Vol
Vol.1 Ch.1
Vol.1 Ch.2
Vol.1 Ch.3
Vol.1 Ch.4
Vol.1 Ch.10
Vol.2 Ch.1
Vol.2 Ch.2
Ect.
and some are counted by total.

Vol.1 Ch.1
Vol.1 Ch.2
Vol.1 Ch.3
Vol.1 Ch.4
Vol.1 Ch.10
Vol.2 Ch.11
Vol.2 Ch.12
Ect.

If all else fails then simply having a strict number of order would suffice. ei 1, 2,3 ,4 ,5 ,6.

Dex-chan lover
@korn7809 Do you have an example? It could be that's how they're officially numbered. If they aren't then it's probably an error and could possibly be reported under 3.4.3.

https://mangadex.org/title/952/pink-lady
VS
https://mangadex.org/title/3132/dragon-ball

Even if they are how its officially numbered I want a simple numbering for all titles.

Miku best girl
Admin
Suffice to say that the current rules regarding chapter numbering is the best we can do, given all the edge cases that has to be taken into account...

The most annoying thing is resetting chapter numbers for volumes!

Power Uploader
The most annoying thing is resetting chapter numbers for volumes!

I second that. I would like the ability to mark how many chapters per volume on certain manga's. Because you will never really know when a volume ends and where the next begins if there are missing chapters.

Vol 1. Ch 10
Vol 2. Ch 1
Vol 2. Ch 2

Meanwhile volume 1 actually ended on chapter 14 not chapter 10.

Also,
Ch 1.1
Ch 1.2
Ch 1.3

If chapter 1 ends on chapter 1.3 for it to stop listing it as a missing chapter. Once these 2 things are addressed i think it will be much better

Users who are viewing this thread