STOP! PIRACY

Contributor
Fundamentally and obviously correct (given you believe in intellectual property), but very repetitive.

Dex-chan lover
Piracy is and always a service issue

When people can't get the goods they wanted in the quality and service they wanted(affordable price, accurate translation, up to date, quality translation, etc), they will always switch to those that can give what they wanted.

So unless that happened, piracy would always exist.

Also the sheer irony that despite the message it wanted to convey, this manga are not received to those that need it due to.....back again, service issue

Dex-chan lover
In a perfect world what we get is a quality product that we can get without hassle and for a fair price. Manga has none of these through official channels in the west.
If volumes really cost 2-4 dollars like the manga says they do, I would buy them. However I am not going to pay 10-15 dollars per volume, especially when it's censored to hell and has a shit translation or whatever the "localizer" decided to replace things with. Or better yet, you "buy" it digitally and your access gets pulled later when the storefront removes it.

Dex-chan lover
On one hand, I agree with the message, I am aware that many pirate sites steal managaka's AND translators' work, inundate their pages with ads, and profit from others' efforts. At least MangaDex is non-profit, credits the translators, and directs readers to official translation websites when available.

On the other hand, I would support manga artists more often if they had a Patreon or another direct way to receive money. When I see the author of Berserk passing away for being too busy to take care of himself, Oda complaining about deadlines and lack of sleep, and the author of Hunter x Hunter suffering severe health issues and unable to work due to the strain of his past work, I feel that supporting them by buying from publishers doesn't help change the system. I would prefer a more direct approach, like with Webtoon, where the author receives income directly from the readers and can set their own deadlines and schedules. The current manga publishing system is predatory, and unless you're part of the big three publishers' monopoly, your chances of success are minimal. Even if you are part of the big three, you'll be forced to work under extreme conditions, and if your manga isn't attracting enough attention, it might get axed.

Dex-chan lover
Archiving the score of 5.81:
oDfAVNt.png

This manga pissed me off so much that I had to log back in after forever just to say this.

As Gaben himself has said:

"Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem"

People are pirating manga because that's the only reasonable method of reading manga in English. No one's going to go learn Japanese just to read manga because the publishers don't want to publish manga outside of Japan. No one's going to scour the internet to find somewhere that sells the English version of the manga they want to read and then wait for weeks or months for it to get delivered before reading it and then pay out the nose for every volume on top of all that. No one's going to wait for the official publisher to take months or years to catch up to the latest chapters either.

Japan's mangas suck ass as a service. It's unaccessible, slow, low quality and a massive rip off on top of everything.

Piracy is popular for manga because the service standards are so low that those crappy MTL translators that push out dozens of chapters a day are counted as reasonable in comparison. Now they have the audacity to come over and say "you shouldn't pirate". Bitch please, we wouldn't be pirating if your services were up to standard. Fix your shit before you criticize others.

Double-page supporter
Stopping piracy, in this sense, would completely kill the non native manga/manhwa market. Basically, if you want your shit to be seen world wide, you need "piracy". Without "pirate" groups translating/scanlating shit, I wouldn't know of or read 95% of the stuff I do, which means I also wouldn't be able to support 100% of the stuff I read. "Piracy" is essentially free publicity and promotion, without it, a lot of people wouldn't know of or give a fuck about manga/manhwa. I've spent money with official publishers/licensers because I've read "pirated" series before. Without those initial experiences, I'm not going to just throw money at random shit. Shit, y'all better appreciate these pirates, some of em are getting you paid.

Dex-chan lover
The publisher affiliated with the artists in this anthology (KADOKAWA, KODANSHA, SHUEISHA, SHOGAKUKAN) are investing in MTL AI.
I feel for all these mangaka but honestly they can suck my dick from the back until they actually learn the bigger picture.

Users who are viewing this thread