Succubus Tamer no Isekai Musou - Vol. 1 Ch. 5

Group Leader
Yeah, well, try "believing" it "feels" better to drive 75 in a 50 zone on your next speeding ticket, see how far that gets you. Rules weren't pulled out of someone's ass to have something to beat people over the head, rules were established because they crystallized as beneficial and reliable reference. If you're sitting on the bog and record your works on the paper you're wiping with, by all means come up with your private orthography and language as much as you want. But if you mean for your stuff to get read by the public where everyone ought to have received some form of education, you'd better match the rules that were most likely used in said education. Otherwise you're just posting it more to feel good about yourself rather than to actually contribute to a forum; and if such write-only, bleat-into-the-void notion is more your thing, perhaps Twitter would be better suited.

Read and learn. And yes, you should have learnt that in school, and with that I don't mean a vocational school specifically for typesetting manga.
To be perfectly honest, friend. I'm tiring of this.

What I was trying to say, before you dissected it with self-serving semantics, was that:

Visually, in my opinion, hyphenation of a word phonetically, would only make it harder to read, if the word now spans four lines, rather than two (without reducing the font-size, to the point of needing a magnifying glass).

I had chosen to use "feel"/"believe", in the hope that it would portray my willingness to accept another opinion. I am failing to fathom how you had conceived any correlation, at all, between their use, and posing a risk to others.

If you would prefer it to adhere closer to the rules you wish to enforce, I suggest you wait for an official translation. Or recommend a Translator capable to satisfy you, to take over the series. I would gladly accept that.

I notice you seem to favour referring to "mandatory education" a fair bit, too.

To be frank, I am not aware of the scope of curriculum you had been exposed to, but I, personally, simply cannot recall ever specifically being taught the
proper hyphenation of words in typography, even up until the present.

Lastly, I'm glad you are so avid about sticking to the hard-and-fast rules of hyphenation, everyone needs a hobby. However, I have continually expressed my opinion on the topic. It seems your only response is to nit-pick the way in which I have worded my replies, as a base for the rest of your passive-aggressive messages.

I have tried to be as respectful as possible, throughout our "discussions". I see no need to converse further with someone who will not return the favour.

Feel free to chastise me in a reply. Though, I can't guarantee a response.

Wishing you all the best,
Lectonal.

Dex-chan lover
I see what you mean now, in reference to the dots...

I believe they are meant to break the word up phonetically. I understand that might make sense, but on paper, I feel it would only mangle the word further.

Regards,
Lectonal

Edit: I'm willing to try it though, if you feel that's best.
Yeah, whenever you have to hyphenate a word, you do so at a phonetic break, not between one; That was something taught in language arts, when I was in high school. That said, no reason you need to smush a whole bunch extra in just to keep it more strictly inside a speech bubble; so long as it's not bleeding out into the page, it's fine. Usually unwritten rule is find the halfway point and hyphenate there, but for really long words you might want to do it later so it doesn't introduce a ton of white space in the previous line.

Group Leader
Yeah, whenever you have to hyphenate a word, you do so at a phonetic break, not between one; That was something taught in language arts, when I was in high school. That said, no reason you need to smush a whole bunch extra in just to keep it more strictly inside a speech bubble; so long as it's not bleeding out into the page, it's fine. Usually unwritten rule is find the halfway point and hyphenate there, but for really long words you might want to do it later so it doesn't introduce a ton of white space in the previous line.
My reasoning was to hyphenate, so as to keep it as visibly clear as possible (though that isn't strictly true for every word I've done)

I'm not entirely sure that hyphenation phonetically would make it any easier to read, as it would only mean more hyphens...

Again, I welcome any feedback :)

Regards,
Lectonal.

Dex-chan lover
My reasoning was to hyphenate, so as to keep it as visibly clear as possible (though that isn't strictly true for every word I've done)

I'm not entirely sure that hyphenation phonetically would make it any easier to read, as it would only mean more hyphens...

Again, I welcome any feedback :)

Regards,
Lectonal.
It has to do with how our brain parses the words; specifically, the Broca's Area section of the frontal lobe of the left hemisphere that parses phonological segmentation, syntactic processing, and unification. By breaking a word along non-syllabic lines, you actually make it a non-word in the reader's minds, that requires a non-standard refactoring to parse through recombining the broken word fragments into a proper word, rather than simply acknowledging the phonetic break that the word already has in your memory.

Again, you do not need to hyphenate at every phonetic break; lets use the word "articulation". Its syllables are ar·tic·u·la·tion, but if you're working with a tall thin speech bubble, you could likely write it on two lines as articu-lation (or artic-ulation, depending on which line has more space). If you are dealing with a thin enough speech bubble you would need to break it according to each syllable, then that usually indicates that you're using too large a font for that speech bubble and need to reduce the font size for that one specifically, at least, or consider doing some slight editing work to enlarge the speech bubble, if you feel confident in your redrawing skills. ;P

Dex-chan lover
where to start, you ask? well i think you should start by throwing the pigs in the dungeon and melting the key so that they can never be released. i also suggest you follow up by completely sealing the dungeon within an airtight and soundproof set of walls with no entrance or exit and then completely forget it ever existed.

Group Leader
It has to do with how our brain parses the words; specifically, the Broca's Area section of the frontal lobe of the left hemisphere that parses phonological segmentation, syntactic processing, and unification. By breaking a word along non-syllabic lines, you actually make it a non-word in the reader's minds, that requires a non-standard refactoring to parse through recombining the broken word fragments into a proper word, rather than simply acknowledging the phonetic break that the word already has in your memory.

Again, you do not need to hyphenate at every phonetic break; lets use the word "articulation". Its syllables are ar·tic·u·la·tion, but if you're working with a tall thin speech bubble, you could likely write it on two lines as articu-lation (or artic-ulation, depending on which line has more space). If you are dealing with a thin enough speech bubble you would need to break it according to each syllable, then that usually indicates that you're using too large a font for that speech bubble and need to reduce the font size for that one specifically, at least, or consider doing some slight editing work to enlarge the speech bubble, if you feel confident in your redrawing skills. ;P
Wow. That was super easy to understand haha!

Seems that I had been misunderstanding the problem, in the first place. Its amazing how easily things can be cleared up, with a bit of common courtesy lol.

Thanks for the advice!
I'll try my best to implement it, in the future :)

Many thanks,
Lectonal

MD@Home
I'm tiring of this.
You only have yourself to blame for not concentrating on the things I communicated but on the things I didn't communicate but you imagined I did.

[…] if the word now spans four lines, rather than two […]
At no point did I ever advise to break a word into as many fragments as possible, nor to do so purposefully to conform to some arbitrary outline. Had you not fallen to the illusion of me saying so, we might have proceeded to a point where I would have reminded you that bubbles always serve the text, and not vice versa, but alas, here we are, wasting time and breath with arguing about arguing or you misinterpreting statements and me trying to dispel your misinterpretations.

I had chosen to use "feel"/"believe", in the hope that it would portray my willingness to accept another opinion.
It didn't. Quite the opposite. What you feel or believe is not with what your readers receive or measure your works. You can feel or believe as much as you want, but it's not what is taught or practiced by anyone, everyone, who is not you. It might match anecdotally, but relying on it is inevitably doomed to fail. Bringing up this argument despite this futility only serves to hurt your case, not help it.

If you would prefer it to adhere closer to the rules …
Again this nonsense. I never claimed to be any authority of measure of anything. Nor did I demand any minimum of quality. All I ever did was, essentially, confront you with how things work or don't work, and do so regardless whether you like it, including how ignoring those things would reflect on you. Simple as that. Anything beyond that is entirely your own extrapolation.

I notice you seem to favour referring to "mandatory education" a fair bit, too.
To be frank, I am not aware of the scope of curriculum you had been exposed to, but I, personally, simply cannot recall ever specifically being taught the proper hyphenation of words in typography, even up until the present.
I am terribly sorry that you weren't educated in the matter, or at least seem to be finding yourself unable to recall to have been educated in it, but exactly how is this supposed to be an excuse or an acceptable fate for the unfortunate receivers of your work to suffer?

my opinion on the topic
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR OPINION! Specifically, not because opinions are nothing to care about but because opinions aren't relevant here. Observations and conclusions are. Evidence and reference material is. Yet as much as you claim to tire of this exchange, to not insult the word 'discussion', you somehow never tire of leading clauses with "I think" or "I believe". You wonder why I could possibly be afflicted by a severe lack of patience that would cause me to mysteriously abstain from wrapping my communications in sickeningly saccharine, white-washed waddings of diplomacy? It's because you might as well have listed your favourite colour or food for all its relevance! You want to talk business? Talk business. You want to waste time? Don't complain when yours ends up wasted. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Group Leader
You only have yourself to blame for not concentrating on the things I communicated but on the things I didn't communicate but you imagined I did.

At no point did I ever advise to break a word into as many fragments as possible, nor to do so purposefully to conform to some arbitrary outline. Had you not fallen to the illusion of me saying so, we might have proceeded to a point where I would have reminded you that bubbles always serve the text, and not vice versa, but alas, here we are, wasting time and breath with arguing about arguing or you misinterpreting statements and me trying to dispel your misinterpretations.

It didn't. Quite the opposite. What you feel or believe is not with what your readers receive or measure your works. You can feel or believe as much as you want, but it's not what is taught or practiced by anyone, everyone, that is not you. It might match anecdotally, but relying on it is inevitably doomed to fail. Bringing up this argument despite this futility only serves to hurt your case, not help it.

Again this nonsense. I never claimed to be any authority of measure of anything. Nor did I demand any minimum of quality. All I ever did was, essentially, confront you with how things work or don't work, and do so regardless whether you like it, including how ignoring those things would reflect on you. Simple as that. Anything beyond that is entirely your own extrapolation.

I am terribly sorry that you weren't educated in the matter, or at least seem to be finding yourself unable to recall to have been educated in it, but exactly how is this supposed to be an excuse or an acceptable fate for the unfortunate receivers of your work to suffer?

NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR OPINION! Specifically, not because opinions are nothing to care about but because opinions aren't relevant here. Observations and conclusions are. Evidence and reference material is. Yet as much as you claim to tire of this exchange, to not insult the word 'discussion', you somehow never tire of leading clauses with "I think" or "I believe". You wonder why I could possibly be afflicted by a severe lack of patience that would cause me to mysteriously abstain from wrapping my communications in sickeningly saccharine, white-washed waddings of diplomacy? It's because you might as well have listed your favourite colour or food for all its relevance! You want to talk business? Talk business. You want to waste time? Don't complain when yours ends up wasted. Simple as that.
I can see that you are a very logically minded individual, and I can respect that. Unfortunately, I cannot ever see myself thinking in a similar way, since (as I'm sure you are aware) I like to express my opinions -irrelevant, or otherwise- on the subjects I am discussing - although their accuracy is never irrefutable.

I like to hear the opinions that others have, on any particular topic. As such, I give my opinion first. I did not mean any harm, in doing so - it just seems, to me, to be the most natural course to take, when desiring a conversation. Nevertheless, I am not opposed to being disagreed with, provided it is put across with the same respect, that I try to show.

I apologise if that aspect of my personality has grated you. However, I am not sure how I would prevent that.

As with all text, the emotion behind it can sometimes be hard to comprehend. If I had produced an image of an ignorant blow-hard, I am sorry. I also apologise if I had falsely depicted you as something similar.

I have came to the conclusion, that yes, I have for the most part misinterpreted your meanings.

I apologise for that. Though, I am aware that this means very little.
From now on, I will try my upmost to hyphenate the longer words, at their phonetic breaks.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I hope we can, at least, part ways without any hard feelings :)

Moreover, as you had so aptly put it: Sorry for wasting your time.

All the best,
Lectonal.

Double-page supporter
idk what the hell went on in here but I'm hoping this manga and its translation continues a little longer.

Dex-chan lover
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR OPINION! Specifically, not because opinions are nothing to care about but because opinions aren't relevant here.
Oh the irony.

@Lectonal please don't feed this troll or think that he represents anything other than a single, sad individual. He does this on forums for other manga I read. The world needs men of culture such as yourself to provide us with the peak literature for free :dogkek:

Anyways, what the hell is he going to do with those two now? I can't imagine anything good coming from keeping them around, other than to be a well from which to draw more trope-y isekai plot elements.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread