Sweat and Soap

Contributor
Huh, that ludicrous summary, that cover page... I can't help but feel it's like run-of-the-mill yaoi, except straight? How fascinating.

Group Leader
Volume 3 is out and man is it good. I'll try not to keep you guys waiting too long

I also found another manga I want to translate, keep your eyes peeled for that as well :p

Dex-chan lover
It's a genuinely cute manga where the guy and girl do care for each other in an adult relationship. There's sex but it's not exactly the focal point. Pretty enjoyable!

The only thing that is kinda creepy is the fact that while he can basically sniff her out and follow her smell like a bloodhound, he still keeps getting so close to her even when they are unacquainted, which makes him more of a creep than you usually think.

On the other hand, the female character is strange. Wasn't she supposed to have a complex about her smell?
Then why does she not care about others smelling her body odor as soon as the male lead is introduced?
The only way she could overcome this complex so fast is by becoming or being a closet body odor fetishist whose dream is to find someone that is drawn to her scent.
Otherwise, there is no way you'd recover from that so quickly, especially if it is the reason you were bullied from early childhood on and especially if you are female.

I think the author only used this "trauma" as a stepping-stone, not considering the implications and unchangeable character traits resulting from it if thought-through carefully.

Btw, I like how the male character is portrayed, he's not the usual "gay" friend type of fantasy guy who can read her every wish from her eyes and lips. He has a lot of misconceptions about her, and even though she is not honest with him, he is not on about the cause until confronting her to get the answer he needs to act to soothe the problem.

This is realism, men can't simply read the mind of their women to understand what they want, and they are very susceptible to female lies due to trusting the woman you love physically.
That's why I hate it how the female characters can come up with any bull in female demographic manga and the male characters still get the gist of it miraculously.
This is not happening in reality, women need to woman up and tell the truth about what they want so men even have a chance to comply.
Fk that emotional bull where they lie and then are sad that the male character acted according to that lie, just to create drama.
It's so unnecessary and completely ruins the relationship between the two parties, at least in reality (though not in female dreamland with rainbows, unicorns and gay white knight princes swooning over them for no reason).

Yet the female lead is still
lying about her being insecure due to the presence of that female coworker. Why the heck can't she confront him about it or just ask for an official recognition of their relationship?
If it was somehow linked to her body odor complex, it could make sense, but at this point it just ruins the story, trying to build up tension and a potential cliffhanger.
If she's that emotionally unstable, I wonder how she got a job in the first place since she's supposedly conscious about her body odor and peoples reactions, especially on the female side. Working in a male-dominated company where the heavy smell of the coworkers covers her own smell would've been more realistic than working at a beauty&body care company that supposedly has a high female employee ratio...
It just doesn't add up, unless she's a caveman or a closet psychopath[now this would be hilarious, turning into a yandere $#!+show]

The only other solution I could come up with is that she is not comfortable around men (which never was mentioned or showcased, otherwise she would take e.g. the women-only car on the train), which would in turn ruin all the initial progression as she seemingly wasn't afraid of the male lead [it was just awkward for her to be sniffed, like it would be for +- everyone].

That's why I cannot give this manga a good rating, it's at best average so far with all the inconsistencies in character building, plot development and initial premise to them.
Maybe it can become better in the future, but considering the mistakes made so far, I don't think it can be pulled off by other means than Deus Ex Machina.

Dex-chan lover
Say, who would you guys suggest as VAs for Asako and Natori on the off chance that this manga gets an anime adaptation? Please include notable roles that represent or approximate the voice you're thinking of, especially if the VA is a "(wo)man of a thousand voices" (e.g. Megumi Hayashibara).

Dex-chan lover
i need more of that! such great manga, hope translation would go faster, there is 19 chapters in original already 😭

Contributor
It’s getting licensed by Kodansha as Sweat and Soap. So hopefully, translations will pick up the pace.

I really like this one. Really great interactions between our main couple. I hope the drama stays light as the relationship progresses.

Users who are viewing this thread