Sweat and Soap

I tried uploading my scan of chapter 5.1, not sure if it worked out. It's a scan from my physical volume so it's not the best quality. I also have volume 2 I thought I might try to scan. Can anyone let me know if there are legal risks with uploading an official translation?

@BoshJaker This site does not accept official translation in ANY capacity; they are to be reported and summarily removed iirc. I believe it's in the rules my dude. Rules, Section 2, Subsection 2.1.

"Scans of official releases or webcomics from official sources, such as original releases (raws) or officially translated releases, are not allowed to be uploaded. "

Someone uploaded some official translations that brought the entire site down for what felt like a week last year.

@niddhoggyr thanks for letting me know. Then the chapter won't be approved anyways. I'll forget about uploading anything official from now on. Well this is embarrasing, I wish I could delete my comment.

Aggregator gang
Even if a series has officially been licensed, if a group chooses to TL and do the redrawing/typesetting etc. anyway, will MD reject the uploads? A lot of licensed manga aren't available outside of US/EU so scanlations are the only options available to us, esp here in SE Asia

@silencers If a series has been licensed stateside, and the a group chooses to acquire original raws, and do all the leg work themselves. Then I believe it is not an Official Translation, or an official work, but instead an Unofficial/Fan trans/scanlation; which IS allowed on the site. In fact, it seems that if an official licensed translation and an unofficial scanlation exist of the same chapter, uploading the unofficial scanlation is perfectly fine.

Rules, Section 2, Sub-Sub-section 2.1.1.1
"However, if unofficial scanlations of the respective chapters are available, do not upload the official versions unless there is a significant difference in quality. Contact staff in case of doubt."
Rules, Section 2, Sub-Section 2.2
"The existence of an official translation has no relevance to the rules for uploading scanlated releases."

Dex-chan lover
@Niddhoggyr its classic, man, they dont read rules, they write "support author buying official release" when fee from english release to the author is minimum, most profit gain publisher, and if you wanna support author - buy japan releases. this crap ruined so much great manga's - its pointless to quote rules to they TL teams, looks like the afraid beeing sued, idk.
I'm still waiting for someone to pick this great manga up... 😭

@Jmann lol one way to look at it. But hey, I'm just passing along the knowledge, xD. It's the least i can do since i can't help in the actual scanlation process in any capacity.

Dex-chan lover
@Niddhoggyr well its bcs some of them wrote few times, that they afraid future publisher claims (they didn't get them, they just "oh, it's been licensed, so to not get claims were gonna drop, just in case"). And people in every manga like that point them to the rules - but - they just ignore it and go silent. I saw it a lot. A LOT. Some mangas been picked up after by another TL and is translated now, some - after a year, and some - was dropped after ~200 chapters of translation right around the end and was never finished. Sad - but true. No one afraid of japaneese publishers. Everyone afraid of US publishers. I'm just curious, how many of translators were really sued, that they become so afraid of legal claims here... 🤔

Hi, I’m looking to pick up this series but we need Japanese translators. We have everything else. PM me if you’re interested!

Gap

@Jmann You're just making all the excuses you can to get free, quality scanlation releases.

Before: Why do you read scans? Because the official version is not available yet.

Now: Now that the offical licensed ver is out, why do you read scans?
wellomg :(((((((((((((((((( bcs like they just drop those scanlantors just drop and shipping cost so high so expensive why no free releases i love this manga omg this couple so cute my ex was like this too why no one pick this up everyone afraid of us pubblihsers but who get them sues or dMCAs anyway why not just do it for me??? author will not know anyway actuallyi think they so happy happy happy happy scanlations exist!!! spread manga popularity!!! series popular overseas!!! why no one pls pick this up so WHAT IF IT'S LICENSED? LICENSED MEANS NOTHING GIEV ME SCANLATION I WANT TO READ IT NOW NOW NOW NOW OMG IT'S DROPPED AAAAA

Scanlation is a grey zone, to say the least. The majority of the scanlators are happy that something we're doing got licensed, as much as we love the series and really do want to continue working on it. Admittedly I really wanted to scheme another scanlation releases for this series before. But it's just absurd that you think, well, it's not toooo illegal and it's not like aaaaanyone really got sued or received aaaany DMCA notices anyway so why noooot just keep on scanlating? It's absurd. It's not like you get caught when you rob a street vendor in an empty street anyway, so why not do it, right? It's bad but my circumstances totally justify these bad actions, so it's good, right?

We know that MangaDex rules do not prohibit unofficial/scanlation releases for series with existing official releases. We decided not to continue this series out of respect, not out of fear. Get off your dumb ass thinking making fun of 'purchase volumes to support the authors' notices are just there as an arbitrary credit page tradition. It's a message that we stand by, you absolute retard.

tl;dr I’m against doing licensed series. Fuckers out there who wanna do it anyway, lmao.

Dex-chan lover
@Gap
I dont live in US. So to me 18-20 bucks per volume is freaking a lot. I pay this much for my monthly internet+cellphone plan, for example. Or, this is my payroll for 1-2 days. Not like "few hours of work", like in US where you get at least ~10 backs per hour.
So yeah. Right. I'm making excuses for my country, where 99% of manga titles never heard, and my only option to read it - here. Bcs if I buy even few volumes - I'll be broke, lol, with this prices.
Man, I even would buy freaking digital edition in google store - BUT - it costs the same is fkn paper book! I hate capitalism, really. In paper edition you pay for the paper, print etc, I get it, but digital scan at the same cost???? Go F yourself with this price. I understand royalty to the translation. But there is no expenses to print digital edition.
That's what I like about Manga+ app: you watching some commercial and read chapter for free, that's how this shit suppose to work in digital. Not paying full price for the scanlation.
And yeah, I'm not alone - US is not the only country in the world, I know you think that way, but it's not. So - live in your closed world and dont call us, the rest of the world, hypocrites.
P.s. yeah, I dont respect publishers who sell digital copies at the price of printed editions. Call me names, but this shit is F up. Bcs with this logic paper and prints cost <1 dollar, and all that above - is publisher royalty. If you wanna respect THAT - that's you right. I call this robbery.

Contributor
wewlads.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread