Teasing Master Takagi-san - Vol. 16 Ch. 136 - Vision Contest

I don’t get it. Why are there so many complaints in the comment? I thought ‘<3’ is a pretty universally understandable symbol?

Dex-chan lover
I was seriously confused why there was a く on an otherwise romaji chart, and even once I was realized what it was supposed to be it doesn't work for him to be embarrassed to say "less than three". The localization makes no sense.
What was the point of changing it? Everyone knows what "suki" means; it's on the same level as honorifics.

Good job on translating this in a funny way.

For a few moments though, I thought it was "c" and "3", and we all know what that means, in context of what she wants, huh. :-D Not long before I realized the <3 thingie sadly, hehe.

It was a good last page.

Also, because earlier I saw the table has roman letters, I expected a western joke, not a japanese one. Glad I was spot on.

Appreciate the translation effort, but i think its better to leave suki thing untranslated with small TL note.

Supporter
I appreciate the thought that went into the translation here -- it was a creative solution to an uncommon localization problem.

I personally found it a bit difficult to realize what was going on, since I wasn't expecting punctuation or numerals to appear on a typical eyechart. That and the non-standard font made me second-guess what I was looking at.

Part of the joke too is that they're not just spelling out the words -- katakana is a syllabery, so reading out each character is the same as sounding out each syllable of the phrase.

translators failed this one. I didn't even recognize that remotely as a heart. Leaving it as "suki" would've been better tbh. basic hiragana is simple and they needed a translation note either way. it did NOT "Convey the intention in a smooth way"

Double-page supporter
I was about to say, what type of vision test has a < and numbers in it lol

Dex-chan lover
One of a few times the localized/fanmade version is better than the original one.

The "localization" attempt fell pretty flat on this one. Should've just left it at "suki" since that shit is a super common japanese phrase to get manga characters embarrassed about. Yeah someone that isn't a weeb wouldn't get the joke without translation notes but neither would they get "less than symbol and three".

Fed-Kun's army
Okay, I know I've had this same conversation about over-localization before, I think it was on a different chapter of this very same manga, and my attitude is generally "I prefer notes but you do you, I don't speak for every reader and you're the ones translating."
But this is a stretch. Like, holy shit. You guys keep the honorifics, so I don't understand why you're so averse to the idea of Japanese words that you'd rather make a character literally say "<".

Users who are viewing this thread