Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita - Vol. 15 Ch. 73 - Alchemist Eugene

Dex-chan lover
They already have a value for 1 gold set to 1 copper why still use gold in this way? Why not just say 1 gold coin, it's the same value as 10,000 gold
Because they're Japanese and that's how they comprehend monetary values?

The reason we don't get confused using other currencies is because we don't have things called the dollar bill that has a value different than a dollar. Just because there is logic to the distinction in the series does not mean it is good logic.
Neither do they. "gold coin" [金貨] isn't "gold" [ゴルド/ゴールド], and vice versa. This has already been explained, but you ignored it. Just because you don't like it and can't grok it in its simplicity doesn't mean it's bad logic.

Neither do they. "gold coin" [金貨] isn't "gold" [ゴルド/ゴールド], and vice versa. This has already been explained, but you ignored it. Just because you don't like it and can't grok it in its simplicity doesn't mean it's bad logic.
Cool that just means it should be probably different words in English. Nothing is lost in localization. Could just use g to stand for gold but to distinguish it as a currency keep people like you obsessed with exact translation, and casual readers don't have to determine every time the word gold is mentioned its referring to the currency or the coin.

Dex-chan lover
Cool that just means it should be probably different words in English. Nothing is lost in localization. Could just use g to stand for gold but to distinguish it as a currency keep people like you obsessed with exact translation, and casual readers don't have to determine every time the word gold is mentioned its referring to the currency or the coin.
...So are you incapable of reading, or...? One is called "gold coin". One is called "gold". They already are different. If you're so hung up on the word "gold"... do you mistake gold bars for gold coins and gold jewelry too?

...So are you incapable of reading, or...? One is called "gold coin". One is called "gold". They already are different. If you're so hung up on the word "gold"... do you mistake gold bars for gold coins and gold jewelry too?
You have to be trolling at this point to not understand why it is confusing to people. Each of those are referred to as gold in their own context. Wearing gold, probably jewelry, hoarding gold probably all three. Buying something probably coins, nope in this case it's just gold. It's super obvious if you just read the original Japanese text that a gold coin is not in fact gold.

Dex-chan lover
You have to be trolling at this point to not understand why it is confusing to people. Each of those are referred to as gold in their own context. Wearing gold, probably jewelry, hoarding gold probably all three. Buying something probably coins, nope in this case it's just gold. It's super obvious if you just read the original Japanese text that a gold coin is not in fact gold.
....Mate, I even quoted the original Japanese text that shows they're different, and how they're referred to differently. So you really are that ignorant. Got it.

Fed-Kun's army
The author has no clue. I love this story but pricing has always been the weakest part.
Aint no way the author says this shit in the same chapter he says this super magic potion is worth 100 000 (10 sales girls) to 100 million as well.
Also Eugene is a clown - his range scales by a factor of 1000 lmao.
This piece of bread could be as little as 20 cents, AND 200 DOLLARS

....Mate, I even quoted the original Japanese text that shows they're different, and how they're referred to differently. So you really are that ignorant. Got it.
The problem isn't the Japanese, it's that the English translation does not make same distinction. That is the entire issue, I don't know how to make that any more clear. Gold and gold coins are synonymous in the context of currency. It would not have been brought up in the comments if it wasn't confusing.

Dex-chan lover
Aint no way the author says this shit in the same chapter he says this super magic potion is worth 100 000 (10 sales girls) to 100 million as well.
Also Eugene is a clown - his range scales by a factor of 1000 lmao.
This piece of bread could be as little as 20 cents, AND 200 DOLLARS
This is about right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prices_of_chemical_elements

This 1 kilogram block of shiny metal that triggers my Geiger counter could cost 101 $ or 49 200 000 000 000 $ depending on which exact metal it is, and whether it's useful for powering the city or for destroying it. All I know is that things that trigger Geiger counters can't be cheap.

Transliterating instead of translating is better than most other forms of localizing, but it's still localizing. It's like when fan translations for Coiling Dragon came upon O'Brien's name in Chinese, [奥布莱恩], and transliterated it as "Ao'bu'lai'en" or "Aobulaien" to exoticify it, when it's just "O'Brien".
I do not agree with you here. This is the real difference between proper human translation, and the crap machine "translations" churn out. A human translator writes output suitable for the understanding of a human reader.

Dex-chan lover
I do not agree with you here. This is the real difference between proper human translation, and the crap machine "translations" churn out. A human translator writes output suitable for the understanding of a human reader.
Humans gave the "translation" of "Ao'bu'lai'en/Aobulaien". Machines gave the translation of "O'Brien". Guess which one was right.

More seriously, yes, machine translation isn't infallible, but it lacks the biases that humans have, and while a human who is fluent in the language being translated to/from is useful to ensure accuracy for MTL (which can honestly be done these days in most cases by sectioning out characters in batch and checking against jap-eng dictionaries and/or googling them to get a reference; it's only the more esoteric things that require C1-level understanding that you might need more of a specific understanding for), while localizers are not useful at all. Seriously, MTL has come a long way from where it used to be. I've held conversations with Japanese and Chinese people on Twitter, Discord, and elsewhere, and I was able to understand them and vice versa just fine, using MTL to translate. Some words do trip it up (as I said, it's not infallible), and you can usually test this by feeding the translation back in but in reverse, but then it's just a case of choosing a synonym to get the exact meaning across.

Dex-chan lover
What the fuck 10,000 gold each? What the hell happened to the economy, I'll be a salesgirl for that much money.
Well, basically substitute every instance of gold with yen and you get the right ballpark. In this case around 70-80$ each? Pretty good money for a part-time job.

Users who are viewing this thread