Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita - Vol. 5 Ch. 27 - Take Care

Dex-chan lover
@TTX
> fanservice = sex sells
I disagree.
Fanservice is something made to make people who are already engaged with the work (fans) happy (service). Even when using narrow meaning of "sexual fanservice", works with fanservice usually advertise and keep the audience with other facets of the work.

Sex sells is about making sexuality the selling point of the work. For example, pretending Tsukihime is a dating simulator where the MC gets to romance vampires, nuns, demons and other sexy girls, and putting an R-18 tag on front. (that description is only technically correct - it's claim to fame is its engaging story of bloodshed, supernatural and insanity. Most games of the genre pretend to be sex games, because it's hard to sell a game with a slogan like "this game will make you cry rivers!")
In my opinion, only seriously ecchi works (mostly harems and other romantic comedies) can be said to use sex sells.

Contributor
Damn, didn't expect feelz today from this chapter. Also a little sad we probably won't see Amanda again for a while.
Didn't expect either that she raised Fran's parents. That was a nice, if bittersweet twist.

Amanda is a half-elf, so I believe she just ages slower than humans due to her elf blood. She looks like in her late 20s to early 30s despite being nearly twice that age.
Perhaps beastkin like Black Cats also do not age at the same rate as humans; maybe they age a bit faster, who knows.

Fed-Kun's army
@Hollow7F
I never really disliked her, and started to really like her after she told Fran she didn't have to call her Mother despite winning their duel.

@Coldlight
Well, we'll at least see the blacksmith again, so no all the supporting characters are out. Amanda may show up later, maybe being called in to assist another area with some major problem, or maybe Fran may return to this city later on.

Don't know who it was, but someone did mention the whole "Amanda raised Fran's parents" thing in a past chapter, though they did put spoiler tags on it.
Main thing I'm surprised by is that she outright knows that Fran is definitely their child, because IIRC the person who mentioned it said it in a way that implied Amanda wasn't 100% certain they were dead, or that Fran was their child, but strongly suspected it to be the case.

@ShinobuOshino

Pretty sure it was a a while, since "Fran" should be a pretty unique name since it's a combination of the parent's names.
Even it was recently confirmed at the end, just chase after and mention it?

It's fine to do asspulls for emotional scenes, but what separates good writers from the bad is whether it still makes sense for the characters/plot. The easiest way to do a similar scene would be to do the flashbacks after a timeskip showing that Fran left for a while. Amanda is cleaning or something and a memento/scent jogs her memory, so that she vows to tell Fran next time she visits.

@Prinnyfoof @CelticMutt
You're both right. So I reread it and my best guess is that she discovered when she saw her the first time, or even before.

Before meeting her the folks in the Lobby told Amanda "a little newbie black cat soloed the goblin dungeon". In the last panels of this page she is taken aback by seeing her and the next page she starts with the mama thing. And her reaction after knowing (or better confirming) her name is pretty obvious knowing what to look for.

I don't know if the guys in the lobby didn't tell her the name like the one of this chapter and that she tried to guess Fran's name or if they also told her, but her running before entering in the room when she said before to be tired and all the rest make that point the most likely candidate, like you said. As per why she didn't tell, probably for this chapter as the author already put foreshadowings of this reveal there. I guess it's not Amanda's fault, but the author's. I hope, because that'd be pretty mean.

Fed-Kun's army
guess its all work out huh?
hopefully Amanda will keep showing up and not just another random character for the plot x.x

Dex-chan lover
@izayamikaelis
she dose return later in what is in my opinion the best arc out of everything thats been translated , but no character is around more then one arc now and then as Fran travel around alot.
out of the once we have seen in the manga so far, she and the dwarf is the only once who show up again, but the next arc will have a few more who also returns down the line.

Dex-chan lover
shes not the daughter of those two fuck off

and i thought the 2 cats are siblings so the baby kind of fucked me up

Dex-chan lover
@Coldlight Pretty sure earlier it said Amanda was 58.

Assuming her parents were at least 18 when they had her, that'd have been 30 years ago that the parents were born given that she's like 12. That said, as it's an orphanage they probably weren't newborns, just close to it. On the other hand she probably had the orphanage before those two black cats.

So Amanda would be around 28 at oldest when she made the orphanage... so if childhood burns through at a normal human pace, then slows down afterwards, I guess that'd be pretty plausible. Who knows if that is how the aging goes though.

But yeah, anywho.

Oh sh*t...so, Amanda is sort of like Fran's grandmother in a way...?

Dex-chan lover
@Wordsmith
Bit of a spoiler for when we next see Amanda and the Blacksmith, if you want it. If not, just ignore this message.
It's going to be a long time before we see the Blacksmith again, much longer. We're about 60 chapters of the WN in at this point and over 300 chapters in the blacksmith is still on the next continent and a boat ride away, not that Fran's even ready to head there yet or would instantly find him once she arrives.

Amanda will actually show up from time to time, for various reasons, the next will be during the competition that will happen a bit from now, you'll have to wait and find out what competition and why.

Users who are viewing this thread