Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken - Vol. 10 Ch. 45 - In Brumund Kingdom (Part 2)

Dex-chan lover
seeing the map, it just means that Brumund would like for Tempest to become a buffer state, no?

@Wolvenworks at least that what it seems like. And if the Eastern nations wanted to attack Brumund they'd have to cross Tempest Nation anyways.

Still, looking at the map there seems to be little reason to give them such beneficial treatment.
It's either: Do trade with us or be left behind, because we don't need your borders.
Seems awfully plot driven but we'll see.

Dex-chan lover
haha the dwarf king is gonna reprimend him when they meet up again

Double-page supporter
Feels like the larger problem will be when Tempest negotiates with OTHER human nations, given that Tempest's military power surely exceeds any human nation's by a large margin. Brumund's probably thinking of this as a juicy exclusive arrangement, whereas Rimuru wants to keep expanding international relations far beyond just one human nation.

Dex-chan lover
I hope they nevee allow Rimuru to negotiate shit again.

The fact that he missed the fact that the mutual defense treaty wasn't only about monsters proves how dumb he is. Like, it was not even a clever trick, it was just Rimuru being a complete idiot.

Double-page supporter
You must be a fucking moron to not realize mutual defense means mutual defense and includes whatever is attacking. At least you have an excuse to make a counter offensive but seriously.

Contributor
Agreeing to mutual defense without any stipulations on the situation... I guess there's at least some wiggle room in interpreting what amounts to 'as much as possible.'

Fed-Kun's army
I am a bit lost here: the king mentioned a possible invasion from the EASTERN nations, but Brumund has its east border with Tempest. For the eastern empire to invade Brumund, they would have either to pass through Dwargon or Tempest, making the mutual defense treaty useless in this regard.

Dex-chan lover
@Zirconium_Corporation I'm guessing it's there so that Tempest won't just let the marching army pass by freely.
Unless the marching army is some savage pillager, it's not like there's any harm on letting them pass. Not like they even know the existence of Tempest after all.

Aggregator gang
Yeah, on the treaty, he did get took a bit.

Maybe.

Consider this, it's always best to fight on someone else's real estate, and if the Eastern Kingdoms get into an expansionist phase, they're going to be eyeing Tempest as well. So putting an end to such expansion prior to their reaching Tempest is all to the good, and this treaty allows them to do so without getting in trouble for crossing the border.

@LysandersTreason

I quite agree.

Yes, it was a selling point, demonstrating just how powerful a potion they could produce, but having Jiggis be the test subject was not a random thing.

Rimuru rewards loyalty with loyalty.

Dex-chan lover
Unless you are a world Hegemon, you never ever ever sign a mutual defense agreement.

Fed-Kun's army
Honestly I would have strangled that guy with killing intent aura for that shit.

Dex-chan lover
Noooo. First and for most: Regarding any treaty, that concerns matters of armed conflicts, always be extra careful.
Come on. "Times of crisis", "as much assistance as possible". That so ridiculous vague.

How much is "as much as possible"? As much as to deal with the situation at hand? Enough to leave Tempest defenceless?

What's the definition of "crisis" in this context? Monster hordes invading the Kingdom. Yes. Maraudering, murdering mischief maker? Sure. An evil empire first making unreasonable demands as an excuse to later start an invasion? Okay. A not-so-evil nation that started a counter invasion, after being invaded by Brumund in first place. Hey, wait a mo...] Starving citizens, that start roits and threat the nobles? I meant to say threat the nation from within. Heeeey! Sure let the monsters handle it.

If he truly wants humans and "monster" races to interact peacefully, having him giving orders to kill humans is a bad thing. Worst case good ol' Brumund now feels strong enough by being backed up by Tempest to start something. Or another nation feels threatened by the sudden increase of military power, that Tempest represents and seek a preemptive solution for the Tempest problem. This defensive alliance might actually give birth to conflict.

I never took part in any negations for a country, but even I saw the faults of those conditions as soon as I read them. But hey. Lety see it as what it is. A plot device.

Ive played Funbag Fantasy 2, the "you'll come to our aid, we'll come to your aid during crisis" is always a bad thing

Users who are viewing this thread