Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken - Vol. 13 Ch. 61 - Punishment of the Witch

Chapter 62 has been released just now as well, for those who didn't notice yet.

Aggregator gang
That turn of events was so obvious. Even though I didn't make the connection between the electric signal and her faux heart being wiretapped, it was clear as day that Rimuru was never going to kill her for 'real' (3 seconds or whatever).

Dex-chan lover
but she's still missing her heart, the puppet dude still has her heart right so even if the temp heart was crushed he should still be able to figure out that she's alive by her heart still pumping and just crush it to kill her right?

Dex-chan lover
I don't remember who Mjurran and Youma and the other guy are. WHen did they appear in the story? What did they do before this event?

Dex-chan lover
@Nk9bjP4A well according to the webnovel at least youma was a knight that was send to investigate tempest while Mjurran appeared with grucius along the way and they end up becoming more like a guard in tempest X"D
that for a while thought and in case you want a spoiler from the webnovel
basically Rimuru make Youma the king of the new kingdom that was built from the fallen kingdom farmus :v
and since both grucius and mjurran become very fond with youma they literally become his right and left arm lel

@Doomer
No, because Rimuru actually cut the connection between the "relay heart" and her real heart, and instead replaced it with a pseudo-heart that functions on its own. On Clayman's side, the feedback probably caused Myuran's former "real heart" to be either crushed or simply stop beating.

@Nk9bjP4A
If you want a refresher, then re-read these chapters:
Ch. 34: https://mangadex.org/chapter/20262/1
Ch. 35: https://mangadex.org/chapter/27649/1
Ch. 40: https://mangadex.org/chapter/337137/1
Ch. 53: https://mangadex.org/chapter/554421/1
Ch. 56: https://mangadex.org/chapter/606755/1
Ch. 58: https://mangadex.org/chapter/635579/1
Ch. 59: https://mangadex.org/chapter/659111/1

And of course this chapter
Ch. 61: https://mangadex.org/chapter/704095/1

@marianolinx
You mean you'd willingly follow Clayman's schemes to the letter like that despite him being one of the actual masterminds of this incident? Think again, whether you want to willingly dance in someone else's palms like that.

Rimuru should have killed all three.
They betrayed him and Youma clearly showed that he would fight his own benefactor for a woman that helped kill countless friends who supported him.
Absolutely zero loyalty.

Dex-chan lover
@DeanWinchester

No, Youm proved IMMENSE loyalty. Just less of it to Rimuru than her. She was not Rimuru's enemy, she was literally like a tool in the hand of Clayman - no one blames the knife for the stab wound, right? Not unless they're petty. Youm loved her - and that's more important. But Youm was still going to stay - either by dying to protect her - or more likely than not (given his personality) staying behind to accept punishment for going against Rimuru, and likely to accept punishment for her had he not been the one chosen to take her away.

Anyone who isn't a soulless monster would have betrayed Rimuru for the same reason. Tempest is a place with families, you know - taking someone's most beloved figure(s) hostage is the way to get them to do whatever you want. What, if someone kidnapped the person you love more than your own life, you'd go against their orders? Because chances are they really will kill them - if you aren't going to listen anyway there's no value in keeping the hostage alive.

She was going to flip Clayman off and die, but he had her love hostage. She was willing to die to end the harm to Tempest, despite that clinging to her own life was all she'd ever done for longer than you can comprehend. That she gave up on centuries of 'my life is the most important thing' for this speaks volumes. And the boys loved her, and would die for her - so all of this is completely natural.

If you call that zero loyalty you might as well slaughter every family under your rule and kill anyone who shows love towards another. Because their first loyalty is to their loved ones, and then to their lord - unless they're absolute sociopaths.

Dex-chan lover
@Yurnero @botallo

It's coming. Everyone who actually deserves it is going to get fucking chucked in a blender.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Double-page supporter
Even though I knew this was going to happen, I still really don't like these lazy "subvert expectations" moments where something that obviously never was going to happen shockingly doesn't happen and the exact opposite happens because nice guy plot. There's very little realism in this series and while that can be attractive, at times it's simply annoying.

The one reason that, IMO, this series will never be as good as Overlord is because it's too happy go lucky, childish and unreasonably so. And before I trigger some response about the massacre, that's a bunch of nameless characters and pretty much one of the only dark moment in the series.

Double-page supporter
@GreyZone
who said she gonna become permanent 'teacher'? she just helping Tempest as temporary teacher while Youmu still do training session with Hakurou...

Aggregator gang
@yautja

You can say that, but at the end of the day no one of note ever really died in OverLord either (Not on Ainz side at least).
Even though it's framed differently the outcome is more-or-less the same.
Hell, Shaltear was brought back to life easier and with less repercussions that what's happening here as well.

For all intents and purposes Rimuru killed Mjurran without a guarantee of the replacement heart actually working.
It was a test, and even if "we" know she was going to make it, Rimuru's intent was "well if she lives great, if she dies oh well".

Also, to say the massacre is the only dark moment in the series is also false.

Double-page supporter
@hmmmmname
So? None of these people are really "on his side" either. And I didn't complain about that, I said only a bunch of nameless characters are going to die, because unlike Overlord, all the people who die for the overwhelming majority of the series are background characters with either no or barely any names, faces or stories. And all the named characters barely face any consequences, friendly or not. In Overlord there are plenty of named characters with stories who actually face real consequences.
Anyways, none of that has to with this being overly happy go lucky or failing to subvert expectations. Nazerick not losing people is sensical considering the nature of the place and the world.

Yea, not really. Especially considering the nature of this manga and what's going to happen. What could have happened is irrelevant, what matters is what happened and how it happened. And what we got was a lazy subversion of expectations and a copout justification. At least in Overlord resurrection was established before it was convenient and not a lazy "oh yea, this exists so maybe you have a chance of it working".

I didn't say it was the only one. I said "pretty much one of the only dark moment in the series.". If you're going to straw-man me twice, at least make it convincing.

Dex-chan lover
@Yautja

Overlord is hot garbage. Nazerick and Ainz will ALWAYS win, and there is absolutely no drama or tension anywhere in the series once you realize that.

One of the reasons I prefer Slime to Overlord is because of the nation building aspects. Makes it at least a little bit interesting.

Dex-chan lover
One other thing Rimaru did was steal away a 'toy' of Clayman's that he was discarding. People like that get pissed when you recover something they were throwing away.

Double-page supporter
@Kaldrak
One of the reasons I prefer Slime to Overlord is because of the nation building aspects. Makes it at least a little bit interesting.
That's literally what Overlord is. The entire point of Overlord is world building and exploring. I get preferences and all, but calling Overlord hot garbage and pretending Slime does world building better is laughable.

And bitching about Ainz being OP and there being no drama or tension while on this manga is the height of irony. At least Overlord is honest with how OP it is, this manga sure as hell isn't. Maybe you haven't realized it yet or read the WN, but this is the exact kind of manga where the MC faces literally zero consequences and every problem is solved shortly after it appears. The drama and tension is extremely vapid in this manga.

To quote a recommendation of this series comparing it to Overlord:
"Take all the world building and conquering,
and take away the schemes and dialog,
and speed everything up by 10 fold,
and you'll have Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken."
and a general description
"It's actually pretty good, but a couple hundred chapters in and the plot goes absolute batshit crazy. Like, "fan translator has to draw a parallel timeline flow chart in MS paint because the entire chapter was a huge plot dump". "

Don't get me wrong, I like this series for what it is, but that comment is insanely ironic and disconnected.

@Yautja
Joke's on you, since you are comparing the Overlord LN with the TenSura WN. It's not immdietly visible but there are massive differences between the WN and LN versions of TenSura and the manga is obviously based on the LN.

Double-page supporter
@GreyZone
No, I'm comparing the series as a whole, manga, anime, LN and all. None of the complaints are WN exclusive. The only time I mentioned the WN is to say maybe this guy still hasn't realized that the MC never faces any consequences and that if he read the WN, with it being finished, he'd have realized what most manga readers already have. And so far, the manga certainly falls into all the problems listed. And AFAIK, the Tensei Slime subreddit agrees that the changes resolved a lot of reading issues and polished up some plot issues but the plot seems to largely stay the same. It's a draft, vs a final version, not an entirely different series.

Anyways, this series still has zero meaningful consequences to anyone, with most problems solved immediately after appearing, in some cases with a cop out savior. As literally displayed this chapter. Vapid drama that's easily resolved. Way too happy go lucky and poor attempts at subversion of expectations.

The point remains, shitting on Overlord for having OP characters and "bad tension" and praising Slime for world building is hilarious.

Dex-chan lover
@Yautja

Ainz is one of the biggest Mary Sue's I've ever seen in fiction. Everyone loves him because the author wrote them that way. They have almost literally no other reason to (with the exception of that small village he saves, I guess). At least in Slime they show their loyalty to Rimaru for specific reasons other than that they're 'programmed' to.

And you think Overlord is better at nation building because...why? The only thing they're doing is strip mining the world they're in for resources for Nazarick. That's not nation building. That's just being the Skrulls.

And Overlords 'schemes and dialogue' lmao. They're really, really BAD. Like, grade school level cartoonish villainy bad. I've seen better written fanfictions.

Also I said 'nation building' not 'world building'. Reading comprehension, yo. Those are two completely different things.

Users who are viewing this thread