The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You - Ch. 159 - The Gothic Lolita Festival Girl

Double-page supporter
Very disappointing for a new girl chapter. It was very tough to understand. I was trying to Google different phrases used but nothing came up so I just had to pretend I knew what was going on. The note at the end made me wonder why that either 1. wasn't at the beginning or 2. didn't have notes in the actual places where the phrases were so I had to go back and forth trying to figure out what the heck was going on.
The solution is to increase your powerlevel. Become stronger. Understand through shear force of will. Only those who can do as much are worthy.

Double-page supporter
Please no, this is like when english dubs localize a character that speaks kansei-ben and they make them sound like a dumb hick from the deep south.
you can't invent an entirely new dialect for the sake of some imaginary translation purity. This is the only way to get across such dialects in different languages. A hick Japanese dialect gets adapted to the hick dialects of other languages. In the case of english, that would be southern bell and British cockney. If it bothers you that badly, learn Japanese, or give up on everything forever for the rest of life until dust. Adapt or die as they say.

Dex-chan lover
I really respect the work that you guys are doing, but I honestly think this decision was a miss. It is really hard to follow, and turning her into a Cockney nonsense machine is a bit over the top. On top of that, clearly from the comments here you have made a character that is nearly impossible for non-native English speakers to understand, defeating the point of the TL in the first place. Surely there is a way to convey "poor, working class speech that is out of style" without making her speech so headache inducing. At this point I would honestly prefer a straight translation with a TL note along the lines of "she is using an extremely outdated dialect that doesn't translate well into English". Maybe abbreviate a few words, drop the g off any "ing" suffixes, etc. "Workin' up some Yakisoba 'ere, ya dumbass". All the "daft sod", "you wot", "innit", and "guv" stuff is just your liberties that make it really difficult and un-enjoyable to sift through.
I think you just perfectly described why I found her dialogue so immensely annoying. The near constant use of phrases like ‘daft sod’ and other cockney slang just really irritated me and made some sections of her dialogue tough to get through. Thankfully it seems like they’ve majorly toned her down in the latest chapter.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
Hey, if you like overdone, unfunny, almost unintelligible ‘it’s chewsday bruv’ humor, more power to you.
I enjoy nonsensically incomprehensible english as a humor in general, be it exaggerated accents like this or just grammatical war crimes. I am exactly the kind of person who will deliberately speak in gibberish just to make everyone around me equally as bad. I must do it for the memes!

Dex-chan lover
Finally! We bagged ourselves a Touhou character! I thought we would've gone two chapters since she was playing hard to get here. Would've been a breath of fresh air ngl. like the first time he Met Nano. the soulmate would actually try to avoid him than give in to the confession immediately. I guess she almost did that. almost.

I cant help but imagine her voice is just the TF2 Demoman. I just cant help it. even though she britsh, just the voice of Demoman kind of fits. other than that, I do agree her speech is a bit excessive at times. the "Ya Daft Sod" is said a bit too much and doesn't really fall into the catchphrase line similar to "yep yep"

Also why Rentarou put a focus on her sleeveless getup like that? is it somekind of armpit fetish or somethin?

Double-page supporter
Bros, as a non native american speaker I'm suffering with this chick in particular can someone explain me what the heck did she meant with those expressions :meguuusad:

Dex-chan lover
As a German, I read this in a super bri'ish voice and it was hilarious, thanks to the TL team for this treat!

Dex-chan lover
D-Demoman is that you? Pfft, I can see why you guys had to translate her like this, and I think it was a good call, though I hope it doesn’t get tough with the jokes we wind up getting from her in the future.

This is the first girl in a while to make me take a step back and re-evaluate everything that lead up to this. And upon re-evaluation I have to say, I think it makes sense. Oh, and Rentarou is training daily to prevent 9/11 if it happens again, knowing him the plane might suddenly turn into Tsunderplane and crash into him for being a “b-baka” or he’s getting really into CS:GO which I could also see.

Users who are viewing this thread