The Ancient Magus' Bride - Ch. 96 - The show must go on. II

Dex-chan lover
Terrible news at the end. Thanks for everything you've done thus far.

A lot of interesting and funny things this chapter. Isaac and Rian being in sync about their dads. The drawn parallel between Rian and Jasmine. Lucy being a brat. Philomela instantly moving to defend Chise. I wonder what kind of fingers she'll get?

Dex-chan lover
thank you for your work! guess im sticking to physical copies from now on

from how started i was worried they just gloss over everything, but seems were leading up to the confrontation with lindel

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Deeply regret your decision to drop the franchise, much as I understand it. Thank you for all your work so far.

With regard to the chapter, I really enjoyed it. Not really surprising but still happy to get the impression that Philomela and the rest of the existing college cast will continue to be critical cast members. It was interesting to me to see Veronica tell Philomela “you’re free” when that was something Chise spent most of the past arc trying to convey to her. Also, inveterate shipper that I am, seeing Philomela leap to Chise’s defense alongside Elias had me swooning. I’m looking forward to the next time Chise and Philomela get a proper talk, Chise expressing her guilt over not being able to do more for Philomela vs Philomela’s obvious desire to give back could be a really great dynamic

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for everything.

Altough I understand your decision, this is truly a shame. Yours are the best translation of this manga ever written, and defintly a thousand times better than the AI ones that came out a bit ago.

From the translation of the magic formulas to how the character speak to each other, your translations are the best and make the story much more understandable and beautiful.

While I and everyone else will obviusly accept your decision no one will be able to truly be happy about this: I'm literally watching an artist and craftsman being out-competed from their work by an automated machine. Yeah, they may be faster, but your quality is much better.
^ deserves to be repeated. Thank you for all you did while you could, and it's understandable to not want the anxiety of wondering when you'll get threatening correspondence from the publisher.

Dex-chan lover
I understand and support your decision. Thank you for all your hard work that you've put into translating this series. The other translation lacks a lot of the cultural difference in linguistic that AI translation can't differentiate, so your work has always been welcomed and fruitful. I hope the future bears well for you and your other endeavors. Hopefully we'll come across each other once more as well.

Dex-chan lover
After reading both translations side by side, my take away just on the English is:

The A.I. is equal to a young teen's level; basic grammar, limited punctuation, simple vocabulary.
Ibara Scans is equal to an adult with a bigger vocabulary used with a deeper understanding of English.

A.I. is middle school.
Ibara Scan is early college.

I don't understand TL's logic. Shouldn't this just make it MORE worth the effort of translating it since the official thing is actually shit-tier and might as well not exist? A real bad look when official translations and localizers are catching a lot of flak for being so bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of quality. Thanks for all your work thus far and more power to you, but... what?

rco016_1468907974_5.png

Fed-Kun's army
I don't understand TL's logic. Shouldn't this just make it MORE worth the effort of translating it since the official thing is actually shit-tier and might as well not exist? A real bad look when official translations and localizers are catching a lot of flak for being so bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of quality. Thanks for all your work thus far and more power to you, but... what?
The official translation exists for two purposes: First to provide a stronger legal basis for suing unauthorized translations as they are now usurping a market, and second to determine the least effort/lowest cost result that readers will accept. It's not worth risking a lawsuit trying to one-up what is basically an officially sanctioned MTL scanlation.

Dex-chan lover
def never reading that official translation at the official website, then :kek:
The official translation exists for two purposes: First to provide a stronger legal basis for suing unauthorized translations as they are now usurping a market, and second to determine the least effort/lowest cost result that readers will accept. It's not worth risking a lawsuit trying to one-up what is basically an officially sanctioned MTL scanlation.
This.

Don't get mad at the people who gave you their time and energy as a gift, until it became a credible potential threat to their well-being.

Get mad at the "publisher" who created that threat by trying to "corner the market" with a cheapass glorified Google Translate. (And for sure don't reward the "publisher" for it.)

Dex-chan lover
Did Elias really call Chise "my daughter"?
He referred to her in the gender neutral way of "my child/kid". It was "Uchi no Ko" in the Japanese IIRC, which then Lindsay St. George took to mean daughter, because later on Lindsay refers to Chise as "Mahoutsukai no Musume", which is basically "Mage's daughter".

I wouldn't take Elias' line very seriously, since Elias' marriage to Chise isn't really known to humans outside of Alice. It's sort of a secret for now.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
He referred to her in the gender neutral way of "my child/kid". It was "Uchi no Ko" in the Japanese IIRC, which then Lindsay St. George took to mean daughter, because later on Lindsay refers to Chise as "Mahoutsukai no Musume", which is basically "Mage's daughter".

I wouldn't take Elias' line very seriously, since Elias' marriage to Chise isn't really known to humans outside of Alice. It's sort of a secret for now.

Even aside from the secrecy, their relationship is weird and amorphous enough that Elias describing Chise in those terms still isn't especially out of character, either for him or the text as a whole. There were periods way back in the first arc where Ruth remarked on how each sometimes looked like they were parenting the other.

Users who are viewing this thread