The Apothecary Diaries - Vol. 7 Ch. 36.3 - A Rose and Nail Polish (Part 3)

Fed-Kun's army
If it's poison why do you drink it ?
I have something to kill inside me.

Reactions: le3
@IMACOP it was stated it was liquor from the start, then mixed with "poison". The dude knew it was his lost the moment he drank the liquor and did not let his daughter finish the "poison".

Dex-chan lover
YOOO I banged my table at maomao's trickery 🤣 wth that's so damn sly of her, i'm proud 😁😁

also i think rakan understood he would be in trouble once he drank a cup of alcohol (hence jinshi saying rakan "knew about this from the start") but i don't think rakan knew that even if he drank the "poisoned" cup, he would get Absolutely Smashed and lose due to inebriation. he thought he could at least last through 2 cups even if one was poisoned but didn't even land one because he's just THAT susceptible to alcohol. maybe he would have lasted longer had he drank the non-poisoned cup, but that's a moot "if" possibility at this point 🤧

that's how i understood it at least!

Aggregator gang
@gryffinp
Some people really can't handle their liquor no matter how much they drink especially a tea totaller who don't have any alcohol tolerance. Rakan only drinks non alcoholic liquids so something like that one drink plus the "medicine" Rakan probably would be drunk.

Contributor
So did he accept knowing he’d lose? Kinda confused on that, he did know it was alcohol.

Edit: ah but she used the poison to convince him to drink some? Still confused as to why he’d accept a situation to drink strong liquor if he’s a light weight

Dex-chan lover
Mixing in a bit of my understanding from the WN, Rakan didn't expect to lose the set after one mouthful of liquor.

He knew it was poisoned, but not what with, and wanted to lose once or twice to try and get a poisoned cup to make sure the last win wouldn't be lethal for Maomao. He figured he could handle a mouthful per cup and not be too sloshed to win the fifth match if needed.

But Maomao spiked the booze to make it hit faster, and without any tolerance Rakan went down immediately.

And if I remember LN spoilers for this, the courtesan she wants him to redeem is her very ill mother. I'm not sure on that point though, since in the WN her mother died when Maomao was a baby.

After getting Maomao's mom pregnant, Rakan was sent to fight a war and then had to take over his family before he had a chance to redeem Maomao's mother. By that point it was too late and the Madam told him to GTFO.

• meguuusad

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@IMACOP He meant to lose from the start but its not the courtesan that is his deciding (to lose) factor. Its the poison.

Mao Mao "owned" him because of the mind games she played. She intended for him to forfeit the match from the start and set up a condition where he had no choice but to forfeit. Rakan had three choices.
1. Don't play.
2. Win
3. Lose

Regardless, he would never obtain Mao Mao.
The match ended before it began.

@Mivas The guy has a face recognition problem, not a smell recognition problem. He knows it is liqour and he is super lightweight. In other words, he knows he lost before the match even started.@Luke_chase The reason why he even bothered going through with the first two matches is probably because he wants to "spend quality time with his daughter".

@Cidolfas I read the WN too. Iirc she never said it was liquor and even Jinshi did not pick up on the smell. So Rakan probably didn't know as well.

Hope one of these days, we can see a Mao Mao cameo in a final fantasy game. Even if it is just a corner nameless background NPC with no lines like one of the million "tourists" in FF15

Dex-chan lover
@Nep Entirely possible I forgot that detail. I haven't read that chapter in forever and saying "medicine" when it's booze sounds like a play she'd make. I did remember thinking he though he could win it, but Maomao's tick meant it was checkmate from the start.

Group Leader
He lost to her on purpose, but because of the conditions Mao Mao set.

He could of just not played because the rules obviously were unfavored towards him, but chose to for Mao Mao.

Aggregator gang
This was... surprisingly.. wholesome? I hate the dad but Im torn between wanting some redemption or having him continue being the villain.

Users who are viewing this thread