The Apothecary Diaries - Vol. 8 Ch. 41 - Book

Dex-chan lover
Jinshi's scheme is so roundabout that I can't believe it work
And Shao Ran is a total angel. So cute.
What's her name mean? A flower?
Thank for the chapter

Dex-chan lover
Have to say, the idea used to increase literacy rate is quite good, and would actually work on many occasion in any era (unless its somehow restricted by Religion and Culture).

Also, surprised that China had allowed women to work in official positions in the past (if the reference in this story is true and happened in reality), as long as they had sufficient literacy level.
Normally, around the world (as far as i know history), even literate women weren't easily allowed to work or even host an official position.

She selling hentai doujin in inner palace.

Also this is juts like that time when you learn japanese because no one is translating your favorite series.

Aggregator gang
"there are people out there who prefer looking at drawings instead" ah yes finally someone who understands me

@Morose the pays of the women are probably lower than the men, but non-nursing women are allowed to work in this novel, mostly as helpers of the male workers.
Maomao for example will be working as Imperial Physician Assistant

thx u for the hard work ! can't wait to read the next chapter lol

do anyone also read the novel ? I didn't so I was wondering if the manga follows a lot the novel or if it already has its differences ?

I just discovered this gem of a manga, and will definitely purchase the legal issue when I can. Thank you scanlators for your hard work!

@golsenlix This manga is very fateful to the novel in my opinion. You can read the official English translation of the novels at j-novel.club
So far they have translated the first volume and half of the second. The first chapter of each volume is free.

There’s a fan translation that’s farther along but the translation quality is...you know, fan translation level

Dex-chan lover
page 2 : why is the eunuch doctor blushing when he sees jinshi ?

page 3 : maomao says : there is a corona virus pandemic in china , so i will make alcohols to disinfect things .

Double-page supporter
I have to say, I know it's just fantasy but the bits of modern stuff (glass fishbowl, chocolate, alcohol disinfectant) ruins the mood a bit for me. You can't keep saying "From the West" as an excuse for everything, because even "the West" is once upon a time not that advanced.

@thanghe 小蘭 Little Orchid

Dex-chan lover
If Maomao wants to make money, she should charge separately for each and every extra task she performs in the palace. She should only do the very mundane stuff free of extra charge, the kind of things anyone could do, but otherwise not do anything for free. As it is, Jinshi is endlessly taking advantage of Maomao, leaving Maomao with very little personal benefit for all of her efforts.

@d_a_renoir When is this taking place? In the 19th century the West was light-years ahead of China. In the 18th century as well, though not nearly as dramatically. China had degenerated tragically from its former glory simply because it didn't try to compete with anyone and the ruling class did its utmost to keep things unchanging forever. The talk in this chapter makes me think of the 19th century.

@d_a_renoir, western is actually pretty advanced when it comes to technology in the past, so im not really surprised by this. their study about medicine is actually advanced, remember, theyre in royalties environment, not in the middle of nowhere.

Double-page supporter
@Kaarme @timidhakana Yeah, the main problem is the time period is unclear. That's why it seems weird. The fake Chinese kingdom looks REALLY ancient.
That is at best the look of Ming dynasty or Early Qing, which is the 1600s. Maybe even older. Glass fishbowls and chocolate candies doesn't exist yet in the 1600s.

But if the story's "universe" is supposed to be the equivalent of our 19th century, then the fake China shouldn't look like this. That's why I complain about the "Western" things being too modern. Again, I know this is not the real world, but because the time period doesn't make sense it just takes me out of the mood.

Users who are viewing this thread