The coment section...

So, I didnt see nothing about the coment section, so I want to talk about it.

Well, for startes the coment section here in mangadex is a big piece of garbage (and I will say why, propositions on how to fix it, etc [also, I would like to see the opinion of others in this and sugestions of them as well]).
-The "why": The standing coment section has a big number of flaws, firstly it is caotic, you see a person awsering another coment very up in the section while the coment awsered very far from it, this makes it dificult and confusing for those who want to see what people are talking about. If this wasnt enougth, there is no way to see better coments, there is just the most resent ones, so if you want to see a reviw, or just a coment that is funny but logical, there is no way to see it, just the most resent ones.

-Propositions: Well, the caotic part must be resolved urgently, so the awsers for coments must be bellow the awsered coment (there are multiple ways to do it, but I recomend to put a box [like the spoiler one] so that once you click it, the awsers apeear [having the number of responses inside the box would be nice as well].), also, the comments that are awnsering should have its image box smaller to occupy less space for disign porposes as well as for making this coment section here more unique.
Also, there is the need for one to organazise it, so a sistem of rating (likes/dislikes) would be apresieted, however another thing that could be (in synchrony to the sistem of likes would be ideal) is a sistem of tags (I havent seen this in other places, so this could improve and make this here on mangadex one even better), but to resumen it, it would be like you tag you coment with something like "funny" "reviw" "critic" "angry", etc and the users would chose the tags that they want to see (multiple selecting is a thing, I say this because in hentai sites normally you can select only one tag ;-;[a good sistem would be like in one hentai site were there is a small box called "tags", clicking in it opens a bigger one with all the tags, you select the ones that you want and then "submit" insted of the just clicking a tag and sending you just that tag]).
For the rating part I recomend researching the reddit model, as it is considered one, if not, the best rating sistem.
And to finish a way to organize it as your will, so you could organize it for the most popular ones, the newest ones or the oldest, or the standard (standard would be like reddit or the other way that you guys chose [like in youtube for videos in the channels, but here for the coments]).

Contributor
I'm sure many of these proposals have been brought up before, but can't be sure how many of them were seriously considered for the next site revamp.

@justforthelulz indeed, but this is one of the fundamental things of any website, so I believe that this should be in high priority, and more "luxurious"/complex things like being abble to have your owns personalised emojis (something like discord, but instead for groops for one individual person) to do latter, thats also because I didnt say it in the recomendation, it is a fruvial thing, but the other things that I said are absolutly necessary (of course I said some extras, but the core was essential)

Comment "Likes/Dislikes" has already been rejected. It just fosters toxicity.

Also by definition Comments aren't the place for conversations -.-

@blackyawgdom , well, I said a rating sistem, (thats why I said that the reddit model would be ideal), likes and dislikes is I way to say it, upvotes and downvotes (whom doesnt need to show, just the "voted" number, like the coment may have 500 upvotes and 500 downvotes and it apears "1000" votes in the simbol to upvote/downvote) are just a way to rate a coment, the toxicity part can very well be avoided/reduced

@blackyawgdom that isnt 100% true, the coment section is to have discutions, to one understand what are others opinions about a manga/etc, to have a better coment section one can inprove the experience of the users in the plataform, it isnt a place for random chating, but a place to opinions to clash and that others can see all the coins sides and from there chose its path/make his own.

Group Leader
Forum will be revamped with xenforo in v5. This should address the comment section issue as well, since I believe the comment sections are technically part of the forums

I don’t support a rating system since people will be incentivized to make lazy comments for easy upvotes/likes/whatever. If you agree with them then that’s great. If not, you can talk to them about it. Imo a rating system just fosters circlejerking with comments that are generic being pushed to the top and unpopular ideas shoved to the bottom. I don’t understand how that is a good thing for a community that is trying to foster diversity.

@potatofood well, I'm ignorant about those and what will change so I cant say much about it, however about people doing lazy coments, that is in a way true, but 1- if you look the coments in this sistem that there is right now, the coments are preaty lazy already and why would you make a better coment? it will just disappear after some others coment anyway... so thats why I said it idealisticaly there should be a sistem of tags along side with it, so if you want complex and better reviws for exemple, you chose "reviws" and so on, but if you want just see the basics, a lazy coment but a good one should be enought.
Also, the opition to chose "standard, most popular and least popular" should solve this as well.

@AbyssalMonkey I can understand that (for this reason I said "like" and not a copy, I gave another ideas to improve that) the big problem is that the sistem here right now ir really bad, you just see the new ones, not the good ones, beyond of that the organization part of replies being just randomply in the chat is bizzare at best and as I said the sistem of tags and the of you being able to arrenge them like "standard, most popular and least popular" (onestly, just this improvement in being able to arrenge it like you need would be a massive improvement, beyond being able to negete the problem of "good coments not being shown") should resove that. Even if it is not like the molds of reddit, it would be better then what is here right now, this sistem demotivates good coments, it makes them lazy and does not add to the user experience.

The tag would not be for just reviews, it would be for other things as well, and it would be a unique thing of mangadex as I have not seen this idea implemented elsewere, so it would be a bonus point I believe.

Altough this isnt the only change that I'm proposing, I believe that this one should be a bit more clear my opnion.

For the "reddit like" sistem, I would make some changes to be more user friendly and with less "censorship of what people dislikes".
So to achive that I would make a sistem to have with the standard configuration to be rearenged by the upvotes/downvotes ("method to actively silence people like in Reddit" of corse no! even if the opinion is disliked it should be shown! not that but people should have an easy access to those coments) so that the best comments, or at least some of the best, can appear/have a chance to. Also a sistem so that even the hated comments can be accessed without much work, so the option to see without the standard reagengement should be there, upvotes/downvotes/recent/oldest/standard, all of those should be an option of the user so that he can have a better access to the comments and opnions of the others but also to help those comments that he believes to be good ones to go up (or down) in the standard configuration.
With this I believe it would encorage the people to make better coments, the better coments to be accecible and to improve the experience of the user in this plataform.

Not everything needs to be reviewed. This isnt Steam. Form your own damn opinions, dont rely on others to think for you.

@blackyawgdom yeah, so what? it is nice to see others opinions, not everyone has the time or will to see everything, there are somes that have low score because that it is enigmatic, but if you see in the comments that this is the reason, it can motivate and bla bla bla.
And what you are saying still doesnt change that the way the comment section is here in mangadex is really bad and that it has a lot o things to change, like the replies far away, etc.

Dex-chan lover
I'd like reviews and for threads to have replies, but I don't think I'd like a rating system

Really, I'd like more organization rather than anything else, but that's its own thing.

Dex-chan lover
I agree with you in that the comment sections needs a little rework as for everything else you propositioned no thanks. I don't need nor want people to validate my comments or make tags for them either.

Fed-Kun's army
Personnally I think somthing you mark the comments with would be nice, such as you slapping some memes/emojis onto comments that you find useful, or hillarious. And as one scroll through, these can be easily recognized. But no, sorting them out is too much, I don't view it as a good thing.

Group Leader
For the rating part I recomend researching the reddit model, as it is considered one, if not, the best rating sistem.

AgreeableFragrantHamadryas-small.gif

the reddit model
the best rating sistem.

tenor.gif

Er hm. Not sure why it has taken MD this long to fix the comment system. Heard they had some issues looking for programmers or couldn't afford decent ones, or whatever. I've seen this being mentioned a few times before in some threads, but nothing has changed.

I don't agree with having a system like Youtube or Reddit. It's actually notorious for creating a hive mind mentality and sometimes, people are stupid so they upvote the one with wrong information, and that's how stupidity spreads. I think just having a typical simple forum-like structure is fine. Just have the ability to like and/or rate how you feel about a comment (sad, happy, etc.), but not have them be pushed to the top. No, you don't tag your own comment with that. That's how someone can express their reaction at your comment.
034.gif

Just look at RPG Maker Forum for example. Simple and works well, no needlessly fancy stuff.

Edit: I think the most missing basic feature is the ability to quote someone with the click of a button. Having to type @username is so... strange in 2020.

Theyve really not had much time to work on "fluff" projects recently. Since the start of the year its just been one AMTRAK after another. From cloudflare, to the increased zombie hoard from other sites, and then March happened and the world started unleashing various horrors to kill us humans off such as viruses, locust plagues, People getting trapped with the horrible monsters called Children for 20 hours a day (That 4 hours is for when they get fed up with it and use this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF_nfazQaek )... and now MURDER HORNETS????

@Fafuncho No offense, but I really think you need this extension: Grammarly

Link for chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/grammarly-for-chrome/kbfnbcaeplbcioakkpcpgfkobkghlhen?hl=en

This will help you a lot, trust me.

About the comment system, personally I use it to express my emotion when reading a chapter or a series. I don't need someone to "rate" my comment or react to it. I think something can be improved later on, but it's good enough already.

Dex-chan lover
Alright Imma be a bit of a jerk here so advanced apologies...

It's "reviews", "chaotic", "honestly", "resolve", "system", and "encourage". Your grammar is great but why in the world do you have so many consistent typos. Is your autocorrect broken or something?

Now that I got the toxicity out of my system and into the world for twitter stalkers to retrieve from the depths of the internet to shame me in ten decades...

There's nothing you suggested that others has previously suggested, well except for the tagging comments which for me is new but man every fiber of my being thinks that is such a useless addition to the forum. The mods would spend their time better, you know, making v5 rather than tagging comments. Who needs that function?

Double-page supporter
Personally I find that reddit/twitter/whatever's tree-like comments is most retarded system you could think of.

Edit: a bit of explanation :)

Imagine you and your friends sitting next to each other discussing something. Everyone can hear and reply to everyone. That's current linear system.

Now, imagine you want to discuss something with your friends but everyone are sitting in separate rooms in small groups and you alone running from one room to another trying to follow every topic... Isn't it retarded system?

Users who are viewing this thread