The Dangers in My Heart - Ch. 144 - We Told A Lie

i despise the antics of that masked bitch. after the last talking-to didn't achieve anything, i hope she gets put down and stops this horseshit.
the more i think about it, the more this flash mob surprise stuff grinds my gears. what is the goal even supposed to be. just be part of a romantic moment? she removes all sincerity out of situations like that with the pressure she creates so it's never gonna work. i'm fuming.

i dunno if this is the best way yamada and ichikawa could've handled this. they handled it ok considering who they are, even if previous promises had to be broken. the moment they apologize once they're on their own and the trust they have to correctly understand their new signals was adorable. i wished they put down annoying mask and made her feel awful for her harebrained bs, but then they wouldn't be the insecure goofballs doing their best i love
To be fair, they are all middle schoolers. I also did the same thing back then, until i grow up and start to understabd the more nuance part of a relationship: it is more than just getting together.

Dex-chan lover
Fuck the classmates man, you don't just do that to your friends. Forcing them to do something huge that would attract the attention of everyone raises the chances of a failed confession by 50%

Dex-chan lover
can We just appreciate that these two had absolutely perfect communication here? Seriously, typical manga stories lIke this would’ve spent an entire chapter trying to awkwardly get these two on the same page and have some huge misunderstanding partway through. But these 2 just fully got one another. It was great!
A an avid romcom reader this is orders of magnitude more satisfying than that stupid trope.

I particularly love how he found those secret gestures dumb and cringed at them but still used them anyways to get a message across. He gets it, communication with her is more important than cringing at yourself in public.

Dex-chan lover
lots of himejoshis i follow on twitter love bokuyaba saying its yuri, and i wasn't completely sold on that argument despite being a himejoshi myself and liking the series, but i have to admit this was yuri as hell

editing in my stance since the class is confused:

ok, so there are three points in my argument, starting off broad and vague then going to specific

1) where a lot of straight romantic comedy and drama works are defined by a progression of courtship, a majority of yuri works are more interested in the exploration of relationships that already exist, whether it be a steady couple, a pair engaged in physical intemacy despite not being official, or long term friends that can more closely share the same space than traditional boy and girl friendship would be able to allow. of course a lot of romcoms stick around after the main pair confesses (ie bokuyaba) so this is why this is a broad condition

2) yuri works consistently focus on how social forces constrain or set norms for couples. the relationship has to be negotiated to fit into a wider world because it is deemed different or bad. bokuyaba shares this as anna and kyou are right now working around how anna has to fit as a "pure actress," without scandal

3) lipstick is a traditionally feminine object. the lipstick is applied to kyoutaro, a feminizing act. the lipstick remains the focus of the scene as the kiss is also framed as a way to apply the lipstick to anna.

q.e.d. regardles of author intent, at this moment bokuyaba falls under the framing, context and content of a yuri work
I also think straight relationships become gay when the couple talks about their feelings and issues openly. :meguu:

Dex-chan lover
I really hope the author is cooking something here, because this just look like them subserving to a hella toxic idol culture shit.

Dex-chan lover
I know Ichikawa likes that Yamada prioritizes her job, but I still hate that she works in the entertainment industry, especially in east asia. All the bs that hinders relationships are found in the entertainment industry, I know he likes it that Yamada is “mature,” but I still think there should be times where he has to be chosen over her job! Nice ending tho!!

Dex-chan lover
lots of himejoshis i follow on twitter love bokuyaba saying its yuri, and i wasn't completely sold on that argument despite being a himejoshi myself and liking the series, but i have to admit this was yuri as hell

editing in my stance since the class is confused:

ok, so there are three points in my argument, starting off broad and vague then going to specific

1) where a lot of straight romantic comedy and drama works are defined by a progression of courtship, a majority of yuri works are more interested in the exploration of relationships that already exist, whether it be a steady couple, a pair engaged in physical intemacy despite not being official, or long term friends that can more closely share the same space than traditional boy and girl friendship would be able to allow. of course a lot of romcoms stick around after the main pair confesses (ie bokuyaba) so this is why this is a broad condition

2) yuri works consistently focus on how social forces constrain or set norms for couples. the relationship has to be negotiated to fit into a wider world because it is deemed different or bad. bokuyaba shares this as anna and kyou are right now working around how anna has to fit as a "pure actress," without scandal

3) lipstick is a traditionally feminine object. the lipstick is applied to kyoutaro, a feminizing act. the lipstick remains the focus of the scene as the kiss is also framed as a way to apply the lipstick to anna.

q.e.d. regardles of author intent, at this moment bokuyaba falls under the framing, context and content of a yuri work
Wait... Isn't the entire idea of Yuri about depicting relationships not involving a male partner?

Dex-chan lover
A relationship is give and take. You make concessions for the things the person you love enjoy or wants to do. Ichikawa and Yamada have been doing that for each other for quite some time.

The school trip is a prime example of that. Yamada should have been at home training for the audition but instead she spend 3 of the 4 days there with Ichikawa, when Kyo noticed that he said to Anna that it was okay for her to go and return a day early to participate in the audiction for the role she really wanted.:thumbsup:

Frankly this is one of the reasons why the romance in The Dangers in My Heart is much better fleshed out than in most other romcom series.

Shame that some people here don't seem to understand that even after all this time.

Bokuyaba is peak. We agree on that. That being said: The school trip, to me, is not as rosy as you made it out to be. Yamada chose to make a concession that she couldn't keep up and made her herself miserable in the process. Ichikawa picked up on that and naturally didn't want his love interest to make herself miserable for his sake. Point being that if they had communicated this beforehand then Ichikawa would've told her to go to the audition outright. Another thing is that her deciding what is best for him without his imput is not up to her.
Now in this chapter we have a similar situation but this time it's handled a lot better. Now we have yamada freezing because she realizes that she would pick her career over ichikawa and he communicates to her that he gets it and that it's fine (neither of them decides for the other, they communicate how they both see it) and upon resolving the situation the immediately touch ground and reaffirm what they meant and where they stand. So I'd say that the school trip was the first step with a few fumbles and this now is the second one still with fumbles but way less.

Double-page supporter
Ichikawa is slowly but surely cementing his reputation as the most chad protagonist of all time. my knees are kneeling on their own.

Double-page supporter
I feel like i need to pat Yamada head everytime she cries, she have so much thing to worry about

That's why kyotaro confession in school trip is such a goat, where Yamada break down saying "i want to go do the audition, but i also want to enjoy this moment with you", is such a great scene

Users who are viewing this thread