The Dangers in My Heart - Vol. 2 Ch. 22 - I Got Soaked

I love how this guy knows every trope in slice of life romance anime so it makes this episode quite meta.

Dex-chan lover
Other countries use debit/credit cards or phones for NFC payments in every store. Japan uses train passes for it. I don't feel like logic is on Japan's side in this case.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme Perhaps the train pass was the first electronic payment system to become widespread, and other businesses tagged along? Having people pay with cash when moving a million passengers through Shibuya station PER DAY would be nigh impossible. And since "everybody" carry a train pass...

Dex-chan lover
@SveNo Back in the 90's lots of companies developed methods for wireless paying. I live in a small city, but in the late 90's there was such a system in busses, with a card that you passed in front of the reader and a trip was deducted from your balance loaded onto the card. You didn't even need to remove the card from your wallet. There were also some other cards, which hadn't got rid of a physical contact and were used for myriad automated things like pay phones, washing machines, etc to replace coins. Since local trains are so huge in Japan, you are probably right in guessing a train pass was something with an already significant user base, making it easier to adapt. Especially seeing how Japan still sticks to cash to an unbelievable extent. I don't know if they still have some guy or lady going from door to door to collect electric bill payments in cash, but the very fact such things happened in the near past tells something about the culture.

He says "riajuu", which means people who are in a relationship and flirt in public. It's not the same as normie.

@N0Mi0 Yes, It is extremly unlikely for the main characters of a romance manga to engage in actual romance or a romance relationship.

The bast mayority of mangas are about how they fall in love and then confess/get together, and not about their relationship together.

And I'm not saying there aren't, just that his statement is true, It's unlikely.

@Abbysmauh I get where you're coming from with this perspective but thats not the subject at hand if you look at the original statement from Kadufrrj. The person was hoping for romance between the two protagonists to which N0mi0 stated that yes there is, which is true by jpn standards.
I am not sure what you define as "engage in actual romance" but if you take into account on how eastern mentality/culture plays a role into their approach to romance (caution that is), what we are seeing is basically pre-dating to dating by their standards. And yes, "99%" is platonic stuff but still catagorized as romance.

The original statement was: "I really want a romance between them. Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? Not."
If my earlier premise stands, then romance has been on the rise between them since the bloody-nose / tissue incident, thereby refuting the assessment (9 months ago it was much more unclear). If the question on the other hands was asking whether or not they'll become an official couple, then the statement could be true but time will tell with the author. In fact the OP statement itself shares the same sentiment Ichikawa suffers from since Yamada started to communicate with him.

One could argue that the relationship that we often see (the journey) is in fact the most interesting part as you see their trials and tribulations as to why their relationship makes sense (occasionally). Therefore it sorta makes sense culturally for jpn romcom of all types to primarily display the "discovery" part of the journey. In fact if you look at the old western teenage romantic movies (10 things I hate about you, She's all that etc.) they all follow the same pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread