the first manga that made you enter the manga world

Ranma 1/2. I sometimes would do a re-watch of the entire series. A lot of good memories about this series. It's one of Rumiko's best work to me.

First manga I read huh... I don't really remember much about it, but if I had to choose it's either Kaze no densetsu Hikoza by Akira Yamamoto or Captain Kid by Hiroshi Uno, it's a shame no english scanlation available, back then I read at the local library so I never really owned any of them, and now it's actually impossible to re-read them because the library is no longer in business.

Contributor
Fushigi Yugi by Yuu Watase

A sweeping epic of historical fantasy featuring romance and a female protagonist with a modicum of agency? I was fucking sold on manga at that point. I ate up my library's manga collection before I realized people actually scanlated on the internet. :')

Fun fact: I learned about the birds and the bees from Rie Takada's Happy Hustle High not long after my discovery of manga. It's a shoujo that isn't even smut, which comments on how much American sex education is a joke here, if anything.

Power Uploader
One Piece, back in 2008 thanks to the anime aired on tv.
But my first manga read from the beginning till the end was GTO. Piece of my heart.

Kitchen princess I think.. or was it Full moon wo sagashite? Wow, it’s been so long I don’t know anymore haha

Dex-chan lover
I found the first Battle Angel series in the late 90s around the time I was tired of American super hero comics. It wasn't in color but it was one story, by a single writer that progressed though each volume. The artwork was consistently excellent and (most) characters who died stayed dead.

I discovered a range from Berserk to Ah! My Goddess and never looked back.

yu6

Contributor
My first manga was Slayers (Hajime Kanzaka/Rui Araizumi) ?

Dex-chan lover
https://mangadex.org/manga/30/sora-no-otoshimono

The thing is that I was so in love with the anime that I started to learn english just to be able to read the manga.
(French version was only at chapter 15...)

Group Leader
One Punch Man for me, I was never planning on reading manga untill I went on holiday and had nothing to do, so I just decided to download some manga.

It was Hyakuman Tsubu no Namida by Kazumi Yuana I guess... I read my first manga title in 2007 ( ??? or even earlier idk) so I don't really remember which one was the first of them all.

VIP
Has to be either Kitchen Princess or Yakitate!! Japan, both of which I started reading because of my aunt

Group Leader
Glass Mask. 40+ years and still going strong.......well, still going, maybe I should put it like that. Please give us an ending, Miuchi-sensei, we're freaking beggin' ya here :D

Group Leader
Love Hina. Got my only volume in bilingual from my old local library, that frequently gave away old books they no longer carry for various reasons. Just a guess, but I have a feeling the librarian simply bought new books for themself with the budget (even imports), and then covered their tracks by giving the books away, since my volume still looked in pristine condition. I'd always drop by the "free books" section just to see what caught my eye and take home, since I couldn't afford to buy books at the time. Another reason for frequenting the area was because whatever wasn't taken by the end of the week, was to be recycled or thrown in the garbage compactor. One man's trash was my treasure. That was nearly 20 years ago.

Unfortunately, by the time I could afford my own books again, I could never find another copy after volume 1 since it was discontinued, which is how I ended up reading the scanlation online, as well as develop an unhealthy pack-rat collecting habit from trying to hunt down old books and other collectibles.

Group Leader
It's been a while but I'm not it's either Absolute Boyfriend or Hanako and the Teller of Allegory.

I guess it must be the later. since I'm so intrigue and I appreciate all of horror mangas being published out there.

Users who are viewing this thread