The Former Structural Analyst's Otherworldly Adventure Story - Vol. 2 Ch. 11

Dex-chan lover
@flannan @Trezcast
The truly weird thing about the "naive isekai Jap protagonist", is that a Japanese author writes them like that, while obviously knowing their "innocence will get them in trouble".
I.E: A Japanese person is aware their MC is being foolish, for basically being "Japanese". And this is a trend.
I can't say I actually get it, beyond being "easy to write, and everyone else are doing it".

P.S: I don't really think being a Chinese murder-hobo is a fair comparison for being the polar opposite. Both are equally terrible. Both shouldn't exist.

@flannan it would make a lot of sense if she was reincarnated as well. That didn’t occur to me, probably because I still (to a very small extent) think it might not be true.

@Solipsist I agree on that! A Japanese getting into trouble for acting Japanese.. Maybe they think the Japanese traits they depict in the manga are good with no fault. Except that they reincarnated in a different world with different rules, so that’s the cause of these traits being seen as faulty.

Dex-chan lover
@Solipsist @Trezcast - well, writing protagonists with weaknesses is the basic advice for writers you can find anywhere.
Having strength and weakness come from the same source is more advanced advice. Maybe this thought is more easily accessible to Japanese? Because it's a Buddhist saying or something?

Dex-chan lover
@flannan
I dunno, man. It feels like as if a British writer would write up a British character, that gets berated for "drinking alcohol in the afternoon after work / during work breaks" (they have the habit of hitting the pubs something fierce). Why would a Brit consider that "a weakness", if it's so ingrained in their culture? Only someone who views it from the outside would point out and say "this is weird."

But, I'm getting the feeling that if anything is "Japanese", it'd just be the writers. That is to say, people who end up writing *really* agreeable protagonists, that are easy to work with / torment. It is easy to apply force on something that changes shape in which ever way you press on it.
That at least means that there's zero self-aware commentary here, just culture-meta about being insanely pliable at the hands of others.

Dex-chan lover
Ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahaha

i_lied_meme_face.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Isabelle is a true villain, but Charlotte is a true uh... i dont wanna say it

Users who are viewing this thread