The Knight and Her Emperor - Ch. 31

Dex-chan lover
Aino busted in there like he's the princes secret lover lol I'd believe it too if Paulina wasn't the Fl, who tf would choose Aino over Paulina, nobody that's who

Dex-chan lover
Wait... she killed the princess? If that's the case, I think I'm dropping this. It would be one thing if the author wanted to call that what it is, but it sure has heck ain't kindness.

she probably killed the princess to spare her from whatever will happen to her (rape, slavery, etc etc). I believe Pauliana wanted to see if the princess was strong enough to lead her own life, and so she was observing her reaction.
Her saying "That's not how it is" after seeing the princess' reaction was kind of a confirmation that the princess gave out the wrong answer and she won't make it, she'll keep being used and abused by someone else...so by that point it's better to just kill her rather than have her go through the same shit Pauliana went through. Also, she's a princess, so having a possible threat from a hostile royal family ain't good....that's the sad life of the medieval ages I guess

for some reason I remembered the early chapters when Pauliana got captured and wanted to die.

Aggregator gang
Did Pauliana kill her?? To spare her from more horrors awaiting her before her death?? Or is she comforting her?
The blood tells me the princess is dead, but at the same time I feel like it's hard to accept that as a kind gesture.... I understand it could be..... but my heart says otherwise....

Seems like the consensus is that the princess is dead.... I guess her kindness was in trying to make her passing quick and painless and the least scary as possible.

Dex-chan lover
The brat got decent. Good for him.

@4sarah1212 my money's on both, as a fellow "useless woman". Small comforts.

@daichidee the princess blamed her failure to seduce the emperor for the fiasco that followed, which is also wrong. So, Winter's comment is twofold.

The spanish translation was up to chapter 60. I don’t understand Spanish but I used google translate and this is what I got.
Sorry for any mistake or wired sentence. English isn’t my first language.

The princess decided to kill herself. Paulina told her where to stab to get quickest and most painless dead.
The princess is only one to have proper funeral. The dead king and other nobles dead body were hung at castle wall.

Dex-chan lover
I suspect (or, to be honest, I hope) that Pauliana "killed" the princess herself to establish the end of the Bikpa royal family as official fact - while in truth, she only knocked her out, so she could offer her a chance to start over in secret. If the princess was just going to die here, then there would have been no reason to build up her character as another noble daughter being used as a disposable tool by her family, much like Pauliana herself.

I feel like Pauliana would emphasise with her, and would want to offer her the same choice she received - to honour her name and lineage and die, or to throw those away, and live with pride as her own person in the new empire. That's the kind of "kindness" that the Emperor would appreciate, after all.

Plus, the "death" happened offscreen, Pauliana isn't holding a weapon, and the blood in the last frame is smeared on the floor, rather than pooling out from a wound. A perfect setup for a misleading false death. If the author wanted to make a point of Pauliana's pragmatic mercy, then the focus of the scene would have been on her resolve in the act, not the Emperor's reaction to it. That's probably the biggest clue, for me.

'Course, I could be wrong, and the author just drew this part a bit weird. Wouldn't be the first extremely important event to happen offscreen. But I'm holding out hope until proven otherwise.

Fed-Kun's army
I don't think she killed her. It'd make no sense to call that a kindness lol

Group Leader
I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times, Korean webcomics have really weird ideas about the European nobility they base their stories on, lol. It's like they just take East Asian aristocratic/royal rules (collective familial punishment, in this case) and just give it Western European makeup.

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@Amarrez welcome to the shittiness of culture and culture bias. Other culprits include every other story that even attempts at writing foreign culture.

Why are you thinking the princess would be rape? It's an european setting, you Don't rape nobility, especially princess…… And we see that the king punish rape with Pauliana…..
I think it's more related to the belief that nobles are allowed to kill themselves and win some honor for it, like roman artistocrats

Ore

Dex-chan lover
@Amarrez Japanese too.

I remember laughing my ass off while reading Monster. The author got so many things wrong about the Europeans (German in particular) that the weird combination of an European background with Japanese demeanors blew off the whole thing for me.

It was so off it felt stupid.

Man, I really sympathize with the princess. She was coddled and then all this horrible stuff was happening so of course she would get hysterical. Poor thing.

Also, thank you Devin and Angel Scans for having the multiple uploads 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

@Ore even in this series, Aino's jousting armor has Eastern Dragon decor on it's shoulder instead the Western Dragon, lol.

Dex-chan lover
Holy shit, with all the skipping of war scenes, I didn't expect this level of brutality. I didn't think he'd actually cut the guy's tongue off, and I thought he was going to spare the princess.

There was no way that a king with such a hefty ambition wouldn't show ruthlesness, but I really was not expecting them to actually show it.

Users who are viewing this thread