The Lady and the Beast - Ch. 21

Double-page supporter
@scarlet_summer I agree, it is quite fitting. With that said, it's not like Elize was completely left for dead. All of the Baron's assets will essentially be liquified(the stuff that can be, anyway) and the funds will be given to Elize, so while she'll be without a job for the time being and would have to raise a child on her own(as well as bearing the stigma of an unmarried mother and having been banished from a duchy), she will still have some compensation money to help her get a new life going. Astina says she's not benevolent, but I think otherwise. Rather, she is actually benevolent but simply not stupid or foolish, which is a very important distinction.

in our more liberal world people forget what was like in the kind of society depicted here. the assistocrat using his position to take a girl and then using her is the definition of being a beast. for the girl Elise, she had no power to protect her. and once the deed was done she was kind of hosed. in this kind of conservative stratified society her circumstances - no man and pregnant- was considered the worse of women. her future was bleak- either turning to selling herself to survive or dying in the gutter. this kind of stuff happened in history, just no one wants to talk about it.

glad the Lady at least made so had way to support, doing the responsibility the baron was not man enough to do

ps sorry for the rant, but i felt sorry for the maid

Thanks for the update~
Wow, I have a lot to says both for this chapter and for chapter 20
So Astina gave her chastity to the tyrant emperor to attend to the ball just to get revenge? That's... Really brave, I salute her
In the beginning I got confused why Astina believes the maid, so that was the reason
And that knight tho, Astina apprentice lolol, he such an arrogant guy in the first appearance but feel reverence to Astina later, here I thought he's just a mob who's not gonna appear in next chapter

it's actually better for her to leave the duchy. she can restart her life without attachments and tons of money. perhaps under a new name. if she stays in the duchy people will recognize her as someone who tried to assist in an assassination, etc. her child will carry that stigma too.

Dex-chan lover
@inKraken
It's a bit more complicated than that, while this did happen it really depended on the nation and it's adherence to religious laws that would determine the treatment of women exposed to such situations, one of the reasons was societal norms, things such as the prodestant reformation and the laxing on certain laws such as divorce laws, the ending of serfdom and the value of virtue, all of these had a effect on the treatment of unmarried mothers, women effected by sex crimes and the like, that said the argument that women were always the one at fault in the eyes of others is somewhat of a myth, but also not wrong, again it depended on the nation and laws of the area, ironically the ratio hasn't changed a heck of alot, though some places that once had more laws protecting women now don't and vice versa.

Generally speaking women's treatment after such incidents was more determined how closely the nation adhered to religious law on the crime, some nations treated women much better in this regard and men far worse than others, it's not a uniform thing, in all honesty the biggest issue i have with stories like that is they generally follow one type of classical society and not another, there are in fact thousands of different societal norms that most people forget today because a few have become popular, egypt for instance gave large degrees of power to women, yet historically many believe the opposite.

Is almost like the author was reading the discussions here in the past chapters lol the plot really addressed everything nicely.

Ty for the double update!!

Users who are viewing this thread