The Lady and the Beast - Ch. 22

I still think the maid got off way too easy.
Victim or not
She treated everyone like crap, messing with them at every turn. Plus she tried to kill a high-ranking noble, Though it wasn't completely her fault, but she wasn't blameless either.
I stop calling people victims when they start creating victims. I don't want her to die since she's pregnant, but if she wasn't I wouldn't have cared if she was eaten by wolves.

Ohh no I’ve got it again 2nd lead syndrome 🚿👄🚿🏃🏼‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️

@kilisloe while I understand your point, I highly respect Astina for her decision
I ask you, what should that maid has done? she was raped and used by the person who had a say over her life in about everything, she lives in a world where a raped woman counts as a dirty whore (not the rapist is wrong, the woman is wrong for seducing the poor man)
had she adamantly said no in the beginning, at best she would have been on the street, at worst she would have been raped anyway and later see above, there was no authority to go too and the other maids, she was sent as a spy, she didn't know any of them, how should she know whom she could eventually trust
so she was alone, desparate, not in the best physical condition either (hard work during pregnancy) so no wonder since she could neither go against the hated person nor had someone to cry to, to go against anyone whom she could -not saying it's a good thing, just very, very normal and understandable, as for punishment, do you think she will have an easy life, even if she gets money? in that world with that society? and what punishment would you suppose? jail or some kind of beating? would probably lead to miscarriage and a double death

@buecherwurmin
Depending on what she does in the future, she could have a fairly normal life. Not everyone will die just because they're not nobles. The reason the author didn't kill her outright is mostly that she is pregnant. If she wasn't, she would have been killed on the spot. She may have been desperate, but I see that as no reason to abuse everyone around you.
I've been in a situation before when someone was being abused at home and took out their stress on me and others around. Then later on when he finally got in trouble for it. He used that " Home abuse" excuse and he got off lightly. He was a Horrible person beating and hurting people. laughing as he did it. What about all the other teens who were hurt to the point that they were sent to a hospital? What about those who were bullied to the point that they quit school or nearly committed suicide? so I'm supposed to forget about everything he's done? Do you know how many times I tried to tell teachers and other people and they just brushed it off until he was finally caught? There were around 11 of us who was a victim of his abuse. I was beyond angry when they let him off easy. So after that day, I stop having sympathy for people who create victims because of their "Circumstances". call me cold-blooded, I'll gladly accept it. It's been almost 4 years since then. I still remember it clearly
Sorry if I got a little personal about it.

@kilisloe nope, you have every right to be angry, when someone goes so far a described from you, then yeah he is a victim who needs therapy but he should receive a harsh punishment too (his abuser of course too, and I would also include your teachers) especially if you live in a society (like I hope you do) where home abuse is something the authorities will punish harshly, so he could have gotten help (I assume he was old enough to be able to do that)
as for her, sure Astina could have probably executed her for trying to murder her, a noble, but even without her pregnancy (which made her dependency on him so worse ) it wouldn't suit her, who has done so much (what exactly she did to the other maids was not told if I remember correctly, so it's difficult to decide if it was still on the not nice but eehm kinda okay side (beating others physically or mentally would not be okay)

and just out of curiousity: how would you judge Martina's deeds? was her revenge justified? she had a horrific past, but what she did was still murder before the law

@kilisloe I mean, was it easy though? At the end she didn’t actually kill anyone, so her crime is not to the extent of needing to be punished with a life. However, she’s going to need to pay for the results of her actions the rest of her life. She is a single commoner mother in a patriarchial society where virginity and “chastity” is extremely valued. She has also dishonorably lost her job. Sure, she has some child support now, but with no backing and enemies everywhere (can she go home? Does she have any friends? No.) will she really be able to hold onto the child support she is supposed to receive, or will someone try to steal it away from her? And would anyone hire her, a single dishonored mother that had attempted to kill her previous master? Banishment is just the beginning of her punishment. Living with the results of her choices is the true punishment, possibly worse than death, but at the same time there is also (a sliver) of hope if she can turn a new leaf.

@Anonmily I agree. I doubt she can go home to her family and probably where her ex-fiancee is. Probably after 5 years or more when her guilt eroded, not now.

Not to mention the baron family will try to find dan punish her (and take their money back). Being a single mother is hard enough in modern time, the setting is in historian era.

Sometimes living is harder than dying.

NICE! This is probably like only the second time. or maybe it is even the first; that a character is not a dumbass of the obvious! LOVE HER SO MUCH!!! UGH!!!

I like her, her 'not dense' trait is added to the list...

But she's creepy sometimes because of her bestiality 'traits', imagine this guy losing to a dog...

Users who are viewing this thread