The Lady and the Beast - Ch. 40

*Duchess draws sword*
Duke: *Heart beats fast* "Is this love?!"
Wolf inside Duke: *Quivering from trauma flashbacks*

Dex-chan lover
@Flyingpantsu there is a distinction in Chinese with two-edged (jian) and one-edged (dao) blades, and translators have handled it by using 'sword' for double-edged weapons and 'saber/sabre' or 'sword-knife' for single-edged weapons. That distinction has spread to some other Asian countries as the sword spread from China to them, but it does not actually carry over into English or a number of other European languages, in which we have a single term, 'Sword', to cover all long-bladed weapons with a handle on one end. The word 'saber' only properly refers to a European weapon that derives from the Middle Eastern scimitar, but thanks to a need to translate Chinese, the term 'Chinese saber' has become accepted. It would be a lot better, in my opinion, if translators knocked it off and trusted readers to be able to learn the words 'Jian' and 'Dao'. We seem to have picked up a lot of other Asian words fine. (Baka translators!!)

Single edged swords in English divided into sabers, cutlasses, scimitars, broadswords, katanas (yes, this word is part of the English language now), scimitars, backswords, falchions, rapiers, etc. but they are all unequivocally considered swords.

@golestar and, interestingly enough, in Chinese, they would refer to a Dao and your fillet knife as differing kinds of '刀’

Nep

Dex-chan lover
Poor duke suffering from trauma :p

@flyingpantsu https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword

Yes, rapiers are swords too.

Sword is an all encompassing term. Its like a species for weapons, with each individual difference such as rapiers/katanas being the different races or breed of human/animals.

Thats why katanas are known as "Japanese swords". Also katanas are single edged.

The poor duke has become similar to pavlov's dog. But instead if drooling its anxiety attacks.

I have a soft spot for guys that look scary but are warm and milk-tea like on the inside xD Also "unrealistically good looking" is a nice way to describe Theo.

The look Astina/Martina gave Theo when he blocked that rock had so much sex appeal too, I was loving it.

Double-page supporter
Bwahaha he's conditioned with the blade as a dog it carried on to his human form

Aggregator gang
"Why is my heart thumping so hard at the sight of her holding a sword??"

That my friend is called being scaroused. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread