The Monstrous Duke's Adopted Daughter - Ch. 28

Double-page supporter
But I think that the prince will not help them so willing-fully~

@Darkion
aHOKbtr.jpg

Thank you so much for this chapter 🥰😍.
Yeah make leslie so happy that she can forget about this cruel past and live a life, deserving to called life, for all the sacrificed children. 🥰

I really want to punch this shitty father off hers 🤬😈.
Wonder what's the queens scheme 🤔

Dex-chan lover
@WhimsiCat He decided when he found out about her power that he could use her to rack up military points and better his position that way. She would prove more valuable in his mind if she served the same way the Salvatore family does. He further pollutes a perfectly good idea though by wanting to spite her in any way he can. She caused him trouble in his mind and need to be punished for it.

Most terrible people don't actually use logic and reason when they are being terrible. It is the breakdown of reason and empathy that makes humans truly terrifying.

And that's how he dug his own grave.

And whaddayamean the Duchess is quite strong even in "her age"? I think she's in her 40s, that's young enough!

I somewhat remembered, there was a foreshadowing a few chapters back of the queen dowager being a mastermind against the salvatores.

It's weird that the duchess doesn't understand why Leslie has such hatre, she saw all the recent "bullying" that LEslie has been through.

Dex-chan lover
On one hand, those chains should end up doing something because of literary conventions. On the other one, whatever children had those chains used on them should recognize them and IMMEDIATELY go for the kill in response before he can even think of wrapping them around him if he tries that.

Fed-Kun's army
This Marquess, too warped in his own small world, the moment he step outside his shell, he will see that fate doesn't revolve around him and his family only. That Queen Dowager will definitely use him until he get sucked dry, and only then he'll realize that he's just a mere pawn.

Every panel with that douchebag father fills me with the urge to MURDER DEATH KILL MURDER DEATH KILL MURDER DEATH KILL MURDER DEATH KILL

Double-page supporter
@RamenRider Honestly, the idea that the shadows will instantly go for the kill when they see the chain is a good point. I just wonder if Leslie will be able to rein them in enough not to kill him and only incapacitate him. A swift death is too good for that bastard.

@Aslinn It's not that she doesn't understand Leslie's hate, it's that she doesn't think it good for such a young child to have such a strong desire for revenge like Leslie does. She'd rather take Leslie in and have her forget her vendetta. But we all know that's not gonna happen. :p

@Pocky8 Back in the "medieval days" you'd be lucky to live till your 30s if you were a commoner, and while the aristocracy had it better even their life expectancy wasn't much higher. There's a reason why in the past marriageable age was, on average, at the age of 14-16 in many countries(maybe even 12 -13, although it depends on the era and country), and you were considered old at the age of 40 and up, assuming you even lived to be that old. People didn't live for very long back then, and marriageable age ultimately depended on culture, individual families, parental consent, and puberty.

The following is a little off topic but I feel it's important contextually, so I put it in a spoiler tag to keep things simple.
An excerpt from the Marriageable Age Wikipedia page:
"In ancient Rome, it was very common for girls to marry and have children shortly after the onset of puberty. Roman law required brides to be at least 12 years old. In Roman law, first marriages to brides from 12 to 24 required the consent of the bride and her father; by the late antique period, Roman law permitted women over 25 to marry without parental consent."

Of course, this specific scenario in this excerpt is about ancient Rome, so that is WAY further back than medieval times which this story's time is loosely based on.

Here's a link to the page regarding marriage and the specific excerpt in question for those curious: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age#Antiquity
And a link to the Life Expectancy Wikipedia page as well while I'm at it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy#Variation_over_time

With all that said, much of this information is from Wikipedia of all things, so my information is highly susceptible to inaccuracy and misinformation. As such, take what I've said with a grain of salt.

Edit: I should also mention that many countries today still have marriageable age to be as young as 13, but it depends on where you go and whether or not there is parental and/or judicial consent.

Also, from the Marriageable Age Wikipedia, there's this: "All US states (except for Delaware and New Jersey) have exceptions/loopholes that allow minors to marry in case of parental consent, judicial consent, and/or pregnancy. Of those, 37 states have a minimum age ranging from 14-17. In 13 states, there is no minimum age. In the District of Columbia, the general age is 18 however minors aged 16 can marry with parental consent." Kinda puts some things into perspective, I guess? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Svelandria: Yeah, I know.
Still, the two guys look older than her and speak about her like this. This just all tickles my modern senses, I guess?

And let's not even talk about ancient times, as in, before nations emerged. When people were hunting mammoths and gathering berries. Life expentancy at birth: 18 years. If you were 20, you were miraculously old. People became parents around 12-ish.
How far we've come.

Users who are viewing this thread