The Necromancer Maid - Vol. 2 Ch. 16 - Night of the Undead

Dex-chan lover
I'm guessing it'll have to do with the baking soda? He'll turn her into konjac jelly? 😂

just a little nitpick... Andrée and Andry are nowhere near the same pronunciation if these names are indeed French in origin. Andrée would sound more like (ond-ray) and Andry would sound more like (ond-ri). While in common English the difference between double 'e' and 'y' is nearly negligible, from my (admittedly small) knowledge of French, 'e accent aigu' (é) and 'y' are quite unsimilar.

Edit: Thanks for the chapter despite my criticism. I looked over again, and a solution to the problem of a ´ (accent aigu) not being easy to type could be as simple as typing his name out as Andre.

Jean apparently has one of those Aperture Science rifles, that shoots the whole bullet.

Group Leader
@vessalius I'm aware they differ, and took that into consideration. I've known since the beginning what the actual name was (although I wasn't aware it was spelled "Andrée"), but due to a number of factors, the biggest being the fact that our main dialogue font does not handle the accented é well, I think it'll be best just to leave it as is. Manually fixing the font would be more work than it's worth.
Additionally, her name being spelled as "Andre" would make everyone think she has a male name, when in reality, it's just French.

Regardless of background, this is a JP -> EN scanlation after all, so the target audience is taken into account when translating names. I think most English speakers (at least in the US) will think of Andre the Giant when seeing the name "Andre".

EDIT: To be clear, I would've preferred to update the name to the correct one, but this isn't an issue of "not being easy to type" as you described it, but that the font doesn't handle the character well, and it is absolutely atrocious to read.

Andrée would sound more like (ond-ray)

ée is more like pulling the e sound from text while finishing on a high tone instead of a low.

Kinda like when you say "eh?"

And it‘s not only english speakers who think of a male when seeing that name, some spanish/portugese/french speaker may suspect the name to be female. but everyone else would think of a male.

@kdrakari

Yeah, and it's a bolt action, full-length pistol caliber carbine, too; that looks like a .32 ACP.
Then, again, it could be a very poorly drawn 577/450 style bullet:
52-20149953120_540x360.jpg

a black powder pre-spitzer bullet that fits quite nicely into the setting. But with Japanese authors you never know, they haven't even seen a gun on a cop's belt.

Group Leader
@Khrysaor Keep in mind everything is typically French influenced in this one. The mangaka seems to have a penchant for detail when it comes to references, so I wouldn't put it past em.

Forget if this was the series where someone identified a gun in the chapter as very likely being based off a particular model. Was possibly even you who did that.

Dex-chan lover
I prefer speedscan over having slowscan or even no scan at all. Often times, these speedscans will piss people off so much they started scanlating for real, which is even better for readers

Double-page supporter
As some one who starting translating Japanese with a mtl I can vouch there’s a much better mtl called deepl

@DrWhoCares makes sense. in the end I only commented on this due to the pronunciation being very different and understand that sometimes compromises must be made.

Users who are viewing this thread