The New Gate - Vol. 10 Ch. 61

@RobDog I fully agree, it's a really strange word to be using in those scenes, either a mistranslation or the MC is using the game's terminology.

Group Leader
@BloodySorcerer WN reader here. no mistranslation, they're really lovers. Also, kind of obvious but this flashback is from before the death game

While saying "lover" isn't wrong, it's an uncommon term to use in English, usually coming with different connotations.
For example, a mistress or someone you're cheating with.

@albirew So is Shin cheating on some other girl with Marino? Because that's about the only time it's common to refer to someone as a "lover".

Group Leader
@TUSF if lover is another word for cheater, how do you name a "normal" couple? "we're a couple" sounds weird tho...

@albirew "This is my boy/girlfriend", or "this is my s.o." or some other term.
"Lover" has a scandalous connotation, which could either mean there's some cheating involved, or in the best case scenario they're friends-with-benefits without a real commitment.

@albirew You use less commonly used sweethearts or more common a couple. Lover is mostly used in a situation when you are having an affair. edit: or non official relationship

Never thought i'd see uncensored unprotected raw handholding from this manga.

Dex-chan lover
@albirew "My partner" works in a couple. But since they're acting like a fairly recently formed couple, "My love", "My beau", "My boyfriend/girlfriend" would be among things I'd expect.

"My lover", I won't say its scandalous what with the context, but it gets about the same value as "My fling" (my sexual partner without deeper feelings or at least without any particular intention of permanence). Come to think of it, since a "fling" is usually used in a summer vacation context, and they might only have intended to be together inside the game for as long as it lasts, and most MMO games last only a year or two (the longer lasting ones are the 'winners'), then 'fling' or 'lover' might be just the right word. But "game wife" and "game husband" would also have been the right words in that case, and maybe less scandalous for some ;)

Group Leader
manga discussions: leaning new stuff everyday 😁
PS: thanks you, you 3 =)

Fed-Kun's army
Is it just me or the word "lovers" sounds awkward? Like why not use boyfriend/girlfriend instead? Its more common. Personality ive never seen anyone referring to their couple as lover. To me lover is the person you are having an affair with.
Also dont you think that sometimes the gamer terms they use sound cringy? Or maybe forced, like they added there just cuz its a game based manga. Its like it was written by someone who has barely ever played a mmo. It reminds me to that one scripted Anthem trialer they showed in E3 back in the day

Dex-chan lover
Is it justo me or someone else already hate that Marino character?

Dex-chan lover
Man if only the art of this manga is as good as the light novel it would be a bit much better. I swear the LN illustration of this is godtier. Though the story kinda generic it's not bad either. And I kinda find it fun to read.
Marino's character design doesn't look like this! Yeah she wore a uniform like clothes but it didn't look like this. The artist of this manga adaption sucks.

And they're actually lovers.
This is just a flashback. Marino died in the game not because she was killed, but because of her physical condition outside the game(Real life) so she might not be alive in the current world where's shin at. And honestly Schnee will marry shin later on after ton of shit happens (and it looks like that she do approve to share shin to the other girls too) so don't worry, and it looks like the series will be a harem ending! so yeah

Users who are viewing this thread