The New Gate - Vol. 8 Ch. 49

Dex-chan lover
WOOOOO

On a sidenote, I wonder if the author originally planned this or is improvising everything throughout. Considering the lack of foreshadowing, it might be the latter which is honestly even more impressive if so. The author could've gone the easy route and make it so Schnee doesn't know that dead players get revived in this world (which would be a plot hole cause there's no way she wouldn't know in 500 years time) but the author went the hard route and added onto Shin's backstory to make it make sense for Schnee to hide it. Very impressive writing right there.

Dex-chan lover
A healthy relationship is built on trust. Jealousy is usually a sign of a lack of trust, so it's not exactly a healthy sign. Still, they are pretty adorable anyways.

Dex-chan lover
@icekatze They haven't got that kind of a relationship, though. What you say would only apply to an already established one. So far it's Schnee loving Shin one-sidedly, but Shin only viewing Schnee as a trusted comrade/friend/underling/staff member/AI from the past, while he actually loves someone else no longer present. So, technically Shin and Schnee are officially only friends now, from a mutual point of view, so it's quite natural for Schnee to worry about Shin being unavailable for her as a romantic partner if there's someone else taking that role. It hasn't got anything to do with trust because there was never such an agreement between them in the first place.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme
When I say relationship, I do mean romantic relationships, but I don't exclusively mean romantic relationships. Trust is also a crucial component of friendships. Formal agreements aren't required, as long as people have expectations of others.

Worry and jealousy are not the same thing. Worry is based on fear, while jealousy is based on anger and disgust. It's not just this story, but a lot of romances in pop media try to portray jealousy as a positive thing, but my point is that it's actually a bad sign. Whether or not Schnee and Shin can resolve this problem in the future is another matter entirely.

Having read the novel version, I know what's going on and what will happen, but this is only relating to the conversation about what's happened so far and how it is portrayed. The conversation happening in the comments for this chapter is mostly about Shin's comments on page 21, where he talks about what it means to really love. "...you want them to think only about you, everyone's like that. Even if that involves wishing for someone else's misfortune." (emphasis mine)

Dex-chan lover
@icekatze It's not wrong, though. It's mostly displayed as a positive thing in manga as a sign of love existing. That is, if you don't love someone (romantically), you don't particularly care even if that someone ended up with another person. Of course assuming you weren't in a relationship for political or financial gains. That's where those numerous "Could it be that you were jealous?" "happy" scenes come from. They show that the other person has romantic feelings to be able to feel jealous in the first place. Trust enters the picture afterwards. It keeps the jealousy in check.

Jealousy has plenty to do with fear. It's the fear of losing someone important to you, snatched away by someone else. To quote Yoda: "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme
I can understand that you believe it, but in my experience, it is still a big red flag. For a better understanding of what love is, I would suggest Sternberg's triangular theory of love as a better starting point. All those "happy" scenes where someone gets jealous about someone they're not in a formal relationship with are more a sign of poor communication skills and personal insecurity than a healthy budding relationship.

Personally, I'm even a student of the monogamy school of thought, but I have at least one friend who is in a poly relationship. While I might think that they are doing things on hard mode, I'm not going to judge them as doing things objectively incorrectly.

It's fine if Shin is being honest with his own feelings here, but I think a lot of the sticking point is that he then turns it into a generalized statement about love as an ideal for everyone.

Dex-chan lover
@icekatze It's quite easy to understand why Shin said what he said. While he doesn't love Schnee romantically, she's still very important to him. When she was calling herself a horrible person because she was feeling jealous, he had to say something. If he had started talking about how jealousy is a bad thing and a sign of lacking trust, it would have made the crying Schnee hate herself all the more. So, he had to give that kind of rosy textbook answer describing what jealousy is and how it can happen in a relationship, regardless of if it's ever shown or not. The situation was made unfortunate by the very fact it is Schnees's one-sided love, so Shin can't really do anything to reassure her. She feels like she could lose him at any time, like she did 500 years earlier for another reason, but he could only tell her that if his old crush reappears, she indeed will lose him. It's kind of hard for him to give her any words of comfort under those circumstances.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme
It is certainly easy to understand Shin's motives. And I don't even think it is bad writing to give characters flaws. But because the conversation in the comments here is about romance in general, I can think of a few ways to console someone in Schnee's position that don't involve romanticizing jealousy.

First of all, it's not really necessary to justify emotions in the first place. People have feelings, that's not a crime. What people need to be able to justify are their actions, and Schnee correctly judged that acting on her feelings wouldn't be appropriate, and didn't. That's commendable in its own right.

Fed-Kun's army
I'm a little worried about the possibility that Marino did appear, and that Schnee may have done something to her in the hopes that if/when Shin reappeared, she'd have him all to herself.
...I've probably just been reading too many yandere stories.
If that did happen, though, hopefully Schnee just convinced her to move on and find someone else, while also keeping her existence a secret from others like the Gold Company. I'd hate for this story to get detailed by a main character going full-yandere.

I like Shin. He atleast is completely honest with his feelings and doesnt beat around the bush. Unlike most MCs who make their love interests false hope or misinterpret by beating around the bush. I like this forwardness

This is pretty sad considering her love is one sided and that he still desires to leave and will leave everyone behind to go to "earth". I guess she cant really cope with her jealousy.

@katojana I couldn't agree more. It's really refreshing to have a straight-forward, honest and decent human being as an MC for once. This way of handling things results in the least number of broken hearts in the end.

I don't know what kind of woman Marino is but I think I lean more into Shin x Schnee. So far, my impression of Schnee is great. Behind a successful man, there's a great woman. I see Schnee as a woman who can support her partner well. She is the type of woman who make your home feels like home.
Well, I'll still accept whatever the result tho. I just can keep shipping them quietly in my heart.

Fed-Kun's army
this mc normally seems cool.. but his personality seems to be pissing me off in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread