The One Within the Villainess - Vol. 4 Ch. 18 - The Demon King Angel

Aggregator gang
I'm not convinced by this chapter... Crop rotation already existed in ancient Egypt. It was the number of fields (two, three or even four) and the specific crops grown on each that were refined from the Middle Ages onwards.

The last boom was the introduction of synthetic fertilisers.

In Remilia's world, you should already know a minimum crop rotation to sustain the population of these cities/kingdoms. The magically produced synthetic fertilisers would be revolutionary though.

Crop rotation isn't the innovation introduced by Pia. It's adding livestock and new crops to produce fertilizer on the "fallow" land. Because you're right, crop rotation isn't some new thing. It's something that already existed in their world, even.

I checked myself because I wasn't sure what the difference between their two plans were. But I think it's because putting livestock on the field is actually bad for the crops (because sheep, etc eat to the roots of grass) and Pia didn't research what plants are ok to be used on fallow land.

Dex-chan lover
Isekai authors are not known for their intellect. Which is why every single one introduces the same exact "innovations" to the place they are sent to. Innovations that often have existed for thousands of years on our planet, and make zero sense for them to not already have. I've seen Isekai Protags introduce water pumps and pulley and lever systems into worlds that are late medieval era, when those have existed since BCE on Earth. So either the planets they are going to are beyond stupid, or the Isekai authors are, guess which gets my vote?
the usual hand wave is "magic made everyone stupid" but magic is a rare thing here as said in this chapter, so it makes even less (than zero) sense

Dex-chan lover
he seems like the type to just blindly believe star maiden without testing it.
This is the fucker (amongst others) who let his envy and lack of self-esteem towards Emi get him manipulated and onboard with the idea to drag her down. Despite spending his childhood with her. And now the thot is draining national funds.

Was anyone really expecting something else from him?

Dex-chan lover
Did Willard not test out the method before pitching it??? That should be like the first thing you do when trying to pitch a new farming method. Show the fucking products and then you'll have a higher chance or convincing people
I mean, he IS a noble, i imagine most don't do it themselves or delegate that stuff to their servants. and even if that 'star maiden' who reincarnated had knowledge on how farms/fertilizer works, i doubt she was actually a farmer in her past life if she's just blatantly going for the 'harem ending' or whatever lol

Dex-chan lover
Crop rotation isn't the innovation introduced by Pia. It's adding livestock and new crops to produce fertilizer on the "fallow" land. Because you're right, crop rotation isn't some new thing. It's something that already existed in their world, even.

I checked myself because I wasn't sure what the difference between their two plans were. But I think it's because putting livestock on the field is actually bad for the crops (because sheep, etc eat to the roots of grass) and Pia didn't research what plants are ok to be used on fallow land.
In addition, without the demonic super-fertilizer, I don’t think you can see major profits in such a short timeframe.

Dex-chan lover
the usual hand wave is "magic made everyone stupid" but magic is a rare thing here as said in this chapter, so it makes even less (than zero) sense
Yea, I get that if it's a world with "domestic magic" or whatever they call it when it's just used for tiny daily tasks, it would make sense to not have a lot of those inventions, because as always "necessity is the mother of invention". But like, even with magic, a pulley/lever system is still an extremely powerful tool in tons of circumstances, and would be amplified by magic. But if it's a low magic world, like this one is, then yeah, it's absolutely a sign that most Isekai mangaka do zero research and have zero clue about the history of the inventions they shove into their stories.

Dex-chan lover
Look i`m not going to defend Isekai authors... is always a bit cringy when an MC introduces some thing that is either weird for the people to not know yet or for a high schooler/salary man to know realistically... For the later is like the "TV genius" trope, a character that knows everything that is to know about a lot when in reality, that level of knowledge is really hard to have or get. For the former i always go with "they have magic" excuse. If we had magic, a lot of our advances would be different or even impossible to someone without magic, so not knowing about some farming methods might be excused by "they make due with magic", is a very weak excuse but allows me to not be upset.

Dex-chan lover
So smug about her ticket... Well, for a low-res bit character.

Integration of demons goes well, I see.

Crop rotation has been mentioned.

So either the planets they are going to are beyond stupid, or the Isekai authors are, guess which gets my vote?
It's hard to write characters more intelligent than yourself, so both answers point to the latter either way.

Users who are viewing this thread