The One Within the Villainess - Vol. 4 Ch. 18 - The Demon King Angel

Dex-chan lover
I got curious and look it up, it seem like in Japan there's a subject called Shokuiku (Food Education) in elementary school. It's study the processes of making food like farming and fermentation, how additives create flavor, and where food comes from. While I doubt it will go into a detail farming, they at least already have an hunch about it.

Also I more amazed by the fact that many isekai characters remember almost all their past life memory while I sometimes don't remember what I did yesterday. Remilia had upper hand as she can see Emi's memories, but Emi and Pina need a good memory if they can remember the contents and the LINES of Otome Game.
crop rotation is one thing but another weirdly common one is the pump, i already seen like 5 or so series using it and it is such a trivia thing to even remember.

Dex-chan lover
crop rotation is one thing but another weirdly common one is the pump, i already seen like 5 or so series using it and it is such a trivia thing to even remember.
Yeah, the pump is that one that always gets me, the Archimedes Screw has been around since ancient Egypt, Water Organ since 200 BCE, and the force pump since like the 1st century AD, by the time the late medival/early renaissance period that most Isekai are set in rolled around they had all sorts of other crazy pump inventions like the centrifugal pump, Sliding vane pump, gear pumps, etc.

And like, I get the world not inventing those things if they had magic to replace it, but if that were the case then why would they care at all when the MC introduced it either?

Aggregator gang
Some information: Crop rotations is ancient but it changed into the modern form fairly recently. Egyptians only used a 2 crops rotation, and the 3 crops rotation (that is already used by the knigdom) came during the 8th century and lasted until the 20th century.

Also, putting animals on a field is one of the worst idea. 1) Dropping need to ferment to become true fertilizers. P*ss in particular is quite bad for the soil and the plants. It's okay in the wild because animals are not restricted, but when in delimited zone, the bad substances accumulate. In addition, in the wild it's just about grass, not crops that require more nutriments.
2) The soil get damaged from the animals walking. For example, place where the animals gather regurlarly (drinking/eating spot) is often infertile for several months

It's for these reasons that people raising animals need to rotate pastures for their animals, to avoid making it too damaged.

(It's funny how we always talk about crop rotation, but not about seasonal grazing) (And that's also one of the reasons that meat always costed more. You need a lot more lands in comparaison)
I am not sure about that. Mixed farming is a thing, was historically, and nowadays its starting to creep back in as a modern ecologically friendly alternative that can help build soil where intensive farming of monocultures completely drained it.
Examples I have read about talks about improving bacterial composition, increasing the amount of carbon and nitrogen in soil, as well as advantages for no-till farming (which is increasingly being preferred, as it helps preserve the soil bacterial biome).
There are experiments with sheep, cows, and chickens, the latter in a way serves also as a form of pest control, able to devour various insects and even rodents if required.

https://www.csuchico.edu/regenerativeagriculture/ra101-section/integrating-livestock.shtml

Double-page supporter
So hyyyyyyped for everything beginning to unfold. Wish I could watch that musical myself, haha.

Well you forgot that they already knew. Chapter 14 page 12 She proposes to: instead of having a fallow field, just sow crops to feed livestocks and the manure of the livestocks will help the soil to be more fertile.
So I decided to search it up and yeah the people already knew about the phenomenon of what’s happening, but they didn’t coin a term for it yet. Pina also just suggested a very terrible improvement to it, while Remilia actually improved it by using her fertilizer and legumes.

Double-page supporter
I am not sure about that. Mixed farming is a thing, was historically, and nowadays its starting to creep back in as a modern ecologically friendly alternative that can help build soil where intensive farming of monocultures completely drained it.
Examples I have read about talks about improving bacterial composition, increasing the amount of carbon and nitrogen in soil, as well as advantages for no-till farming (which is increasingly being preferred, as it helps preserve the soil bacterial biome).
There are experiments with sheep, cows, and chickens, the latter in a way serves also as a form of pest control, able to devour various insects and even rodents if required.

https://www.csuchico.edu/regenerativeagriculture/ra101-section/integrating-livestock.shtml
First thing first: mixed farming in the past only meant that you raised animals and crops at the same time. Not that they used the same space. If a farm had a coop with chicken but also made wheat, it was mixed farming.

2) Yes, you can put animals on field or fallows. But only for a short time. For example, in medieval time, animals were put on the fallows field maximum a few weeks (heavily dependant on size of field and size of animal pack), the time they eat most of the plants. Doing like that is beneficial. But leaving the animals roam for a few months? That's a bad idea. If you have read your link, it says that you need to often move the animals to avoid overgrazing and over-compaction.

The best example is the chicken. Chicken manure contains a lot of nitrogen, which is good for the soil. But if it keep accumulating, the soil become unbalanced and lose efficiency. In addition, chicken dig a lot to find worms, insect and roots. Leaving chiken a few days on a field is beneficial (removing insects, giving nitrogen, ...) but more than that will start to damage the field. If you want further proof: coop are nearly always barren soil because of that.

Maybe I expressed myself badly: Just placing the animals a short time can be good.
But truly putting them for an extended period on a land destined for crops is a very bad idea.

Aggregator gang
First thing first: mixed farming in the past only meant that you raised animals and crops at the same time. Not that they used the same space. If a farm had a coop with chicken but also made wheat, it was mixed farming.
I have read various definitions, some of them talked about forms with crop rotation (including pasture), or even in-between form, where there is no clear distinction between pasture and cropland.

Basically, I am talking about ideas, you about a particular form of practice that you have in mind. This brings me to the fact that saying "crop rotation was known since ancient Egypt 6000 years ago, its nothing new" is such a nonsensical position. We have together established that the amount of forms a particular idea can have (keeping animals and crops as part of a single unit) is staggering, with many of them being catastrophic, and some of them highly productive instead. So talking about "Crop rotation" as if it was a single technology is less than ideal.

Double-page supporter
Basically, I am talking about ideas, you about a particular form of practice that you have in mind. This brings me to the fact that saying "crop rotation was known since ancient Egypt 6000 years ago, its nothing new" is such a nonsensical position. We have together established that the amount of forms a particular idea can have (keeping animals and crops as part of a single unit) is staggering, with many of them being catastrophic, and some of them highly productive instead. So talking about "Crop rotation" as if it was a single technology is less than ideal.
That, I totally agree. It's like saying that rifle are ancient because the firelance existed in China around the 11th century. It's the same principle, but there has been substantial improvement between them

Dex-chan lover
I have read various definitions, some of them talked about forms with crop rotation (including pasture), or even in-between form, where there is no clear distinction between pasture and cropland.

OK, but most isekai do treat it like single revolutionary technology, completely unknown to the locals, who by that time should have so many various forms of it tested already. That's how those high-schoolers with just basic knowledge are supposed to drastically improve the efficiency of people who already spend so many generations doing and improving their jobs.

There are also similar cases , like "revolutionary" idea of using wind magic to blind enemies with dust, and so on. Konosuba had a really stupid chapter like that, and I was happy it never was adapted into anime.

willards so cute in that panel im sorry

image.png

he looks so easy to bully... 🤭🤭 he should cry next time

Supporter
The one I like to cite is a manga that made spring suspension using coiled wire FIRST, instead of leaf springs.

Like guys, coil springs are not easier than spring-tempering bars of steel.

I love this one, because they never bother to show how to build a triangulated 4-link or 5-link suspension or double a-arm required to make coil springs work properly. I would even accept a 3-link setup. But at that point, just go to a torsion style. And a coil sprung suspension is going to be way more unstable if you do not have a proper sway bar setup. Especially if you go for the independent suspension.

And leaf springs work fine if they are long enough. Not like you need 20+ inch long travel suspension for your carriage. Oil filled shocks with proper valving are a way bigger improvement step.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Isekai authors are not known for their intellect. Which is why every single one introduces the same exact "innovations" to the place they are sent to. Innovations that often have existed for thousands of years on our planet, and make zero sense for them to not already have. I've seen Isekai Protags introduce water pumps and pulley and lever systems into worlds that are late medieval era, when those have existed since BCE on Earth. So either the planets they are going to are beyond stupid, or the Isekai authors are, guess which gets my vote?
One thing is different, isekai worlds mostly has magic which our world doesnt and thats why it kinda probably substitutes as a solution to their problems and hypothetically civilization would develop leaned into magic compares in our world didnt have that so people grow more ingenuity and make technological breakthroughs, where as a magical world would expect to make more magical breakthroughs cuz the general population would use magic as the solution to their everyday problems but would hypothetically hinder their technological advancements since in contrast to our world which doest have that option.

To put into example, let's look at water pumps, in a world where u could magically produce or control water, this would hypothetically take longer to develop, or may never even be developed cuz the problem had a different solution and that solution would probably develop in another innovative way

Dex-chan lover
One thing is different, isekai worlds mostly has magic which our world doesnt and thats why it kinda probably substitutes as a solution to their problems and hypothetically civilization would develop leaned into magic compares in our world didnt have that so people grow more ingenuity and make technological breakthroughs, where as a magical world would expect to make more magical breakthroughs cuz the general population would use magic as the solution to their everyday problems but would hypothetically hinder their technological advancements since in contrast to our world which doest have that option.

To put into example, let's look at water pumps, in a world where u could magically produce or control water, this would hypothetically take longer to develop, or may never even be developed cuz the problem had a different solution and that solution would probably develop in another innovative way
Everything you mentioned has already been addressed multiple times in this thread.

Dex-chan lover
Everything you mentioned has already been addressed multiple times in this thread.
I mean, thats expected. i skimmed thru the page i was redirected on and replied on one that seemed interesting to talk about. Sorry i didnt go thru 6 whole pages of comments.

Nitrogen burning the soil is definitely a danger which is part of why you want to go through a "ferment" process or whatever, there are 3 numbers on fertilizers which end up playing a big part of how well they work so I am not surprised the lazy method didn't work too well.

Users who are viewing this thread