The Only "R" in the world - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - Those that keep running

oh yes all multiple accounts i abandon i know the weight of my sin author stop reminding me of them

Funny thing is...

Unlike some other players, I never did all those resets and rerolling.

I still use the very first account that I created!

If I have abandoned it and created another one, I might have never gotten all the juicy units that I have accumulated over the years!

Never rerolled all my life playing gacha games, too much a hassle for me just use what RNG give me

Dex-chan lover
I once played a gacha game, but I never consider to reroll.
I just simply gave up when it become a hassle and too money wasting. Especially, the end game content. Oh God, that's a nightmare...

Dex-chan lover
Wait what? Rerolling is fine and all, but it kinda loses the comedy effect when you learn these guys are literally committing suicide for a gacha roll. For crying out loud you’re real heroes, if you’re having a lot of trouble fighting demons then train up so you don’t need gacha companions (or find some real friends). Also are these guys reincarnated into another life or repeat their own over and over? If its the latter its still cheap but midly okay. If its the former than that’s REALLY bad. They’re making their family deal with each of their deaths and then moving on to the next family to devastate just for a freaking reroll.

Group Leader
This gets all the more disturbing if you take it at face value. That kid's at least ten years old, probably mid-teens... if it's his 24th reroll, that means he's been at it for over three hundred years. And so has everything else we've seen happening.

Fed-Kun's army
So much about this manga just doesn't work.

First it's title is a lie he's not the only R.

Second the way it tries to blend living people with Gatcha logic doesn't work very well becaue it tries to go "dark humor" route but the carefree logic of gatcha and actual lives are so contrary that it doesn't fit well.

Like why are quality heroes locked by random rates if the demon king is an actual threat? Why do they not just train what they've got? ANd the list of issues goes on.

OVERALL the main problem is this. You can't take the rules and logic from one place and apply it elseware without problems. Some logic only works as it does because of context and putting it in a different context. At the very least you need to put more effort and be more creative to make it work than what this author is doing.

@Metazoxan
Like why are quality heroes locked by random rates if the demon king is an actual threat? Why do they not just train what they've got? ANd the list of issues goes on.
The gachas aren't heroes; they're hero companions. The people that form the extras of a hero's party (i.e. thief, wizard, priest/healer, etc).

Even still, I've rarely ever seen manga where the hero gets anything given to them (besides op powers) just because they're a hero (and I've read a LOT of isekai/fantasy manga). The only exception i can recall is Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero (which still excluded the mc from the handouts).
It's such a common thing that I have more examples off the top of my head that make fun of the fact instead of examples of it happening. Examples like Epic NPC man and fff-class trashero.

Though, this manga has a bit of different standard for heroes. Where most manga have 1-4 heroes, this one has just an endless amount of heroes that being a hero is just somewhat more special than being a regular adventurer (reminds me of a certain priest manga with a very long name).
With so many heroes, it'd be a wonder if the demon king is an actual threat.

As for the "dark horror" route it feels more like it's a "dark humour" route.

Fed-Kun's army
@Crazyperson117 "Dark Horror" was a typo. I meant "dark Humor". But it's attempt at dark humor causes it to fall into a middle ground between "cartoon logic" and "real logic" that just falls flat. Because it's trying to make humor by pointing how the logical flaws in various scenarios. But those flaws are only there because the author mixed gatcha mechanics with real world fantasy poorly. So rather than being funny we're instead just sitting here confused by what we just read.

A good example of this is the issue you mentioned about there being so many heroes.

The author is TRYING to showcase gatcha gamers and their behavior. But the problem is that in a gatcha game, from a story perspective, every player is the ONLY hero and the existence of other players is purely for multiplayer aspects.

So the author trying to incorporate ALL gatcha players into a single world doesn't work. It's not even cleverly done as there are a lot of logical plot holes. Like how they apparently reincarnate as babies after death but will "Reroll" 20+ times for a good starting roll. WHO WOULD GO THROUGH TWENTY LIFETIMES JUST FOR STARTING LUCK!?! In gatcha is it takes too long to reroll most players either will give up after a couple tries or will try to use emulators and such to streamline the process. No one would go through so much trouble just for a good starting roll.

That is the other issue. The author is trying to makes jokes centered around Gatcha mechanics and the behavior of it's player base. But they pay absolutely no attention to the context of said behavior or how to make it make even a little sense.

In fact here let me outline just one option for how this could have been done BETTER.

Set it up so that people who die and get "Isekai'd" go to a kind of "gatcha dimension" first to get their companions. Afterwards each is sent to their own world for them to save. Then when they die they are sent back to try again in a new world. This would better align with Gatcha mechanics as "Players" (heroes) would "Log in"(be summoned) and each one would be the ONLY hero in their "instance"(world). And because they aren't starting from infancy it would make more sense to "suicide"(reroll) to aim for a better start. In fact you could do more dark humor this way as the hero would effectively be abandoning a world to destruction just because of a bad starting roll.

@Metazoxan
Tbh, it makes a real world sense to have each hero to all be considered heroes in that world since it's supposed to be more real world. Each hero can't exactly be the sole hero of the prophecy when there's so many other heroes running around affecting the same world. Plus, it's not impossible to do. I've even seen a few manga that have this idea work (admittedly, most are vrmmorpg based, but they still act as if the vr world was a real world of it's own).

The "suiciding for another chance at rolls" bit would've worked better if the hero didn't have to start from a baby and instead took possession of somebody at a proper age (and kept their memories). Since rather than spending maybe 15 years just trying to earn rolls in a normal way, they suicide and spent that long doing basically nothing for 10 free chances. Even 1 chance earned per year would've been more productive than suicide. I.e. "I killed myself 24 times this month so I could keep getting the first time bonus" vs "I spent (about) 360 years of time trying growing up and killing myself to get free rolls". IMO, the main issue isn't the excessive length gone to get free rerolls, but the unnecessary and inefficient method done to get it.

As far as I can see, the main problem here is how poorly mixed game logic and real life logic are intermixed (not that I really care, I just like leaving comments making fun of stuff).
For example, All the "heroes" have a purely video game mindset (i.e. kill and steal everything for themselves, there are no consequences, and dying has no meaning because you can just "respawn") and completely ignore any real world consequences (some of which are mentioned in later chapters). While the rest of the world is stuck to deal with it using their real life logic/rules (like families whose hero children commit suicide less than a week after leaving home or, again stuff mentioned in later chapters).

Users who are viewing this thread