The Princess of Sylph - Vol. 3 Ch. 11 - Snapdragon (3)

Dex-chan lover
Sara didn't want to kill herself. She just wanted to give up the sword. It just so happens that doing so would kill her. But it's not like killing herself was her goal. She just knows the sword doesn't belong to her and could be extremity dangerous if the princess doesn't have it. Those are good reasons to want to give it up despite the risk to her life.

Needles to say, I don't think this is a character flaw.

Dex-chan lover
Yes, it is flaw to attempt suicide. It doesn't make her a bad person, per se, but it's a very human flaw.
Well this falls into the opinion area then, cuz ain't no way attempting suicide objectively a flaw, are you lowkey trying to say those "suicide people are selfish" bs things or what
Plenty of people commit suicide for stupid reasons. Plenty of people blame themselves for things they didn't do wrong.

This is very human.
Sure, it could somewhat, some tiny level feel human, but it still aint human flaw

Let me say this again, unlike her highness, none of Sara actions so far objectively feels annoying like a human flaw.

Dex-chan lover
Oh that's not... lol that isn't a flaw, do you really hate it when someone respect your decision instead of your silbing decision? Do you really hate it when someone decided their own punishment, which is frwaking death? No! Those only left good impression.

And no, trying to do a good thing do feel human, but punishing yourself with death from trying to save someone life isn't a human flaw or feels human, more like god trait.

No doubt Natalia will be grateful for Sara's attempt at trying to heal her, but she will also be concerned about Sara's lack of self-esteem (in the same way Sara was concerned about Natalia neglecting her own needs over her royal duties).

When Sara entered the forest despite the risks, chased Natalia down and tried to rescue her, she was putting herself in danger. But while trying to rescue Natalia was dangerous, there was something to be gained from that act (i.e. Natalia's safety).

On the other hand, when she tried to rip out to sword from her chest, she believed it was going to kill her for sure. And there was nothing to be gained from her death; it was beyond unreasonable. Nobody who values their own life in a healthy way would attempt suicide just to follow an arbitrary religious rule.

Being unreasonable and irrational is to be human. None of this makes Sara any less human. They are not flaws in the sense that they make Sara unsympathetic, but they are imperfections with an adverse effect on her life.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Sara didn't want to kill herself. She just wanted to give up the sword. It just so happens that doing so would kill her. But it's not like killing herself was her goal. She just knows the sword doesn't belong to her and could be extremity dangerous if the princess doesn't have it. Those are good reasons to want to give it up despite the risk to her life.

Needles to say, I don't think this is a character flaw.

Natalia's brother explains that there is no serious downside to Sara having the sword (because the sword has not been used to slay monsters for centuries), that Natalia would benefit from being able to rely on Sara, both for material and emotional support. Sara accepts these explanations too, then for a moment, she argues that Natalia should be the one to make the final decision about all of this. But then she immediately contradicts herself by trying to pull out the sword, without waiting for Natalia's judgment.

The real reason she chooses to tear out the sword from her chest is because she thinks a normal human holding the power of the spirits is a "violation of the natural order" and "blasphemy". And to "atone for [her] mistake". That is religious zealotry; not rational in the slightest.

Last edited:
Group Leader
I would say all this falls into the "prisoner of fate" category and isn't necessarily a flaw or personal consequence of Sara's, but you're starting to see the more dangerous sides of her personality and if it's anything like the original those will result in very real failures of hers later. Sara needs saving just as much as Natalia does.

While it might seem noble of her to attempt to sacrifice herself to restore order, she's also willingly abandoning Natalia in the process. And there's no reason to think Luis is wrong about the sword yet (chronologically, since this is a flashback and ch2 hasn't happened. Yes the dire wolf does count as a monster).

It's a very hasty decision and Sara knows it's going to leave someone vulnerable, but she excuses it based on seeing Natalia's sense of duty when she was dying and delirious. Touching a bit on spoilers if it's anything like the original Sara wanted to die before getting the sword, over what made her a nun in the first place. She's not being completely rational here.
Suicidal intent isn't inherently a flaw, it's a very sad thing, but Sara ignores the harm it could do believing it's the best solution for everyone.

You don't need a magnifying glass to spot the flags Luis was setting, but while he seemingly lied about pulling the sprout he is almost certainly telling the truth that the only way for Sylpheed to transfer is for the previous host to die. He doesn't want to sentence a good person to death just to heap more responsibility on his sister, who didn't want the position in the first place. Yes that means denying Sara's will in the matter, but choices with no clean solution are part of being a ruler.
There's an extremely relevant quote of his back in the first chapter,
There's a weight to choices made for yourself. A weight which only builds until the day you die.
It's one of the themes of the series, and when these two start making choices for themselves it's going to come down hard.
Another is good intent only making things worse.

Dex-chan lover
He's concerned for his sisters well being and sees the opportunity to keep close to her, someone who will love her enough to change her depressive and suicidal tendencies. The sword would likely be nothing without a competent handler anyway, and the princess was not in the mental state to survive long without Sara. He ends up being right about the effect she'd have but what's really great is how the two women have ended up affecting each other in positive ways. They both have issues and flaws that the other helps account for. Now the girls have a lot of troubles to get through together.

Banned
Started with chapter one again after this. Thank you so much for re-uploading them again in higher quality. I take you will do this with all chapters if you can?

Dex-chan lover
I mean something like the princess but being edgy in a medieval story isn't a bad idea
Neither of them are edgy and yes, it would be a bad idea. But anyway, I shouldn't have responded. I've read the discussions going on and I don't think it's worth getting involved in too much. Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Dex-chan lover
She was told repeatedly that her presence would help the princess and that she should embrace what she was given and she repeatedly rejected this to the point ef attempted suicide.

Hur flaws are way more human and normal than the princess's.

Because it's irrelevant to the discussion. Some impending doom doesn't mean that monsters have already breached the barrier nor does that mean the wolf in chapter 2 was a monster.
I argued with that 1ddio dude a while back on this series. He either acts like he's seen the future, or has literally read ahead and is trying to ruin the experience for new readers. Block him and move on was my conclusion~

Dex-chan lover
Yes please, you both can't just run away from this fate like this, at least not yet anyways. Brother in law is right, you gotta support each other. Make sure you both are sturdy and wilful enough to stand for yourselves and each other, and that will help the kingdom in turn!

Dex-chan lover
I argued with that 1ddio dude a while back on this series. He either acts like he's seen the future, or has literally read ahead and is trying to ruin the experience for new readers. Block him and move on was my conclusion~
Even reading ahead, they're not describing the events in a reasonable way. Knowing the future doesn't change much for my disagreement with their impressions. The way they characterize events and characters is the issue. So, it doesn't matter that they might have also read the previous version. I know what happens as well.

Last edited:
Group Leader
Started with chapter one again after this. Thank you so much for re-uploading them again in higher quality. I take you will do this with all chapters if you can?
I don't like making promises but I plan to. It should be easier; volume 1 took a long time because of all the SFX I skipped. Volume 2 releases on the 26th.

Dex-chan lover
Natalia's brother explains that there is no serious downside to Sara having the sword (because the sword has not been used to slay monsters for centuries), that Natalia would benefit from being able to rely on Sara, both for material and emotional support. Sara accepts these explanations too, then for a moment, she argues that Natalia should be the one to make the final decision about all of this. But then she immediately contradicts herself by trying to pull out the sword, without waiting for Natalia's judgment.

The real reason she chooses to tear out the sword from her chest is because she thinks a normal human holding the power of the spirits is a "violation of the natural order" and "blasphemy". And to "atone for [her] mistake". That is religious zealotry; not rational in the slightest.

To start with, Sara has no reason to trust him. There's no guarantee the sword won't be needed. But even if he was right about that (which he's not) she still does have a point that she shouldn't have the sword. It's not just religious zealotry, it's a fact that she got the sword by mistake. I don't think it's a flaw that she wants to correct that mistake, to make things right.

And yes, if she makes that choice, she leaves Natalia alone, but she's not close with Natalia at this point in the timeline, and she has no obligation to do what the bro wants.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Being unreasonable and irrational is to be human. None of this makes Sara any less human. They are not flaws in the sense that they make Sara unsympathetic, but they are imperfections with an adverse effect on her life.
Hm when you put it that way, I do kinda see it, she disregards her own life so much.
But this is also reinforces my point lol.

Let me rephrase that, her actions in this chapter ain't what make her less dimensional, it's the build up till those actions makes it. Just imagine this, you got introduced a character, into more than half of the main story plot, what you got from her is that she's kind, clever, funny, sweet, thoughtful, and now she's a type of person who so willing to end her life after trying to save someone life??? Unrational indeed, but it just isn't it.
It isn't the same as the princess who so beloved by the citizen, a strong charming "perfect" person but also is a weirdo who ate explicitly dirty cookies on the street, very responsible toward her citizen, hard on keeping her image but pretty informal toward the fellow princess to the point of somewhat bully them without acknowledging it. The princess who so stubborn that when she made mistake because of it, she could acknowledge it on her own, learned and tried to not making the same one again. That's what make her dimensional, she has both the flaws to just being the flaws and the flaws to be changed. Sara still hasn't had those yet, the flaws that reflects her good traits or the flaws that gives her some sort of self-reflection, like she just being reckless and that's it, no acknowledging how bad that would affect on her life.

Dex-chan lover
even if we never saw a monster before because we do know normal wolves so we can tell the difference.
I generally agree with you and that shit will go down, but I'm not sure I'd agree on this point, wolves are notoriously bigger than people expect in real life, heck, they're a lot bigger than most manga draws them in fact. Seeing a normal wolf in a world where there's extra scary wolves and going "oh shit a dire wolf" because of that effect wouldn't be that far fetched.

Again, I believe the brother's wrong given the other sylph and also just like... of course things would go down when they're weakened, but still.

Users who are viewing this thread