The Ride-On King - Ch. 68 - The President and the Temple of the Gods

Dex-chan lover
Hold-on, now that we see how Bega becomes evil, will Purchinov rider her too since she can probably be redeemed? :finnawoke:

Dex-chan lover
It's always a blast to read a story that basically goes: "Hitler did nothing wrong", and you have to remind yourself: "No, wait, hold on, that's still Hitler". :v
(Of course the analogy doesn't really quite work here)
Solid villain backstory though.

That being said, the explanation about "why our devices function for so long?" is pretty crap, though.
Yeah? "We just made it better"? Kinda weird cop-out. It'd have made more sense to have them own a solar battery charger. Even if that wasn't a thing back then, it'd still make more sense than: "just cuz".
It's basically what real world is. Villain is just a people's hero who rebel the injustice but lose the war.

Dex-chan lover
Can't say she is innocent though, considering she seems to have reached the point where multiple generations of elves have come and gone while she remained alive.
Not generations, just waves, there are 77 Elf strongholds, or at least were.

Dex-chan lover
I'm amazed the author made me sympathize with the main villain and hate elves instead. I'm surprised Bega didn't instantly go after Kanya during the exorcism back then.

That is the effect of them perceiving themselves as "God's chosen people" which makes them think that everything they do is right and in the name of those they perceive as gods. Regardless of the point at which you occur in the chain, you are a still a part of said chain regardless if it is a mesh or a strata.

Bege is not better or worse than the elves as she takes freedom away from those she needn't. To punish every generation that comes after is also a terrible thing to do as well.

It draws parallels pretty close to our own world.

Dex-chan lover
Baga is the a monster of the elves' making. If they didnt have too much pride then she could have been a different kind of villain.

Dex-chan lover
Remember that even the high elves weren't aware of the full capability of Yggdrasil, so it might be a case of unreliable narrator on them too.
They just know it become better, but they don't know how either.

That's literally why it's a shitty explanation, and a cop out... It's not interesting, and comes across as trying to solve a problem that didn't need solving.

Dex-chan lover
That's literally why it's a shitty explanation, and a cop out... It's not interesting, and comes across as trying to solve a problem that didn't need solving.

You're taking/expecting it as explanation, but I see it as just adding more layers to the mystery of things and not at all meant to explain the upgrade stuffs.
It's not a cop out if it's not meant to even be an actual explanation to begin with.

Dex-chan lover
You're taking/expecting it as explanation, but I see it as just adding more layers to the mystery of things and not at all meant to explain the upgrade stuffs.
It's not a cop out if it's not meant to even be an actual explanation to begin with.

"how come our phones still work"
"because god made it better"

That's a question and an answer.

Dex-chan lover
"do you know how this work"
"I don't"

That's also a question and an answer.
But elves are arrogant assholes who blindly do what God told them, anything they don't know will be answered with "God did/will it".
That's literally how zealots work.
Also, they technically do know why, because of God, they just don't know the details of how it becomes better.

It's pretty clear that for a while the series is possibly setting the Gods as the big problem behind everything, so of course we won't know what they're really capably of and why.

Dex-chan lover
But elves are arrogant assholes who blindly do what God told them, anything they don't know will be answered with "God did/will it".
That's literally how zealots work.
Also, they technically do know why, because of God, they just don't know the details of how it becomes better.

It's pretty clear that for a while the series is possibly setting the Gods as the big problem behind everything, so of course we won't know what they're really capably of and why.

I'm aware of that, it's the other guy who can't seem to take the elves saying essentially 'we don't know, we don't care, DEUS VULT Infidels' as 'cop out'.

So you should be saying that to him.

Dex-chan lover
I'm aware of that, it's the other guy who can't seem to take the elves saying essentially 'we don't know, we don't care, DEUS VULT Infidels' as 'cop out'.

So you should be saying that to him.
... I quoted the wrong person :facepalm:

@Solipsist , my previous message was to you.

Dex-chan lover
"do you know how this work"
"I don't"

That's also a question and an answer.
And dedicating 1-2 pages just to illustrate that point, on how plausible it is that "god made it better, because god's imagination is so much more vivid than our own", is why it's bad writing. If all the author wanted to do was to pull a: "actually I dunno", could've just said that and immediately went ahead, instead of trying to convince the audience with a really shitty explanation.
I'm going to stop pushing this point, I'm tired of this.

Dex-chan lover
And dedicating 1-2 pages just to illustrate that point, on how plausible it is that "god made it better, because god's imagination is so much more vivid than our own", is why it's bad writing. If all the author wanted to do was to pull a: "actually I dunno", could've just said that and immediately went ahead, instead of trying to convince the audience with a really shitty explanation.
I'm going to stop pushing this point, I'm tired of this.

Might I remind you this is all essentially flashbacks?
Considering what present day Bega is doing it was obvious she didn't get the actual answers she wanted.

This is mainly meant to be the villain origin story for Bega.
So again you're the one who got yourself into some high expectations then get disappointed on your own when the story have made no such hint.

Users who are viewing this thread