The Saga of Tanya the Evil - Vol. 15 Ch. 41 - Preparation to Move Forward I

@greatninja3 I don't think so. In fact faster fighter jets would have even more troubles fighting mages. Have you ever tried to swat a fly mid-air? Remember, the size of a man is barely 1 meter wide by 1.7 meters long (and I'm not even taking Tanja into consideration, her being the tiniest and most powerful of them all) try keeping a pea-sized target on your sights. Besides the mages have a ridiculous maneuverability advantage: the F-16 needs 30 seconds to make a 180° turn (a quick turn meaning the pilot has to take on high Gs) a mage can stop mid, turn around and shoot you down in less than 5 seconds. And don't even get me started on homing and wide range magic, it's like cheating. Bombers would have the altitude advantage but still have problems with homing and long distance magic. Besides you can't win a war with bombers only

@Moreira_X I'm sorry, but that's not exactly a true statement. An F-16 is a fairly maneuverable aircraft which can certainly do a 180 degree turn in faster than 30 seconds in almost all flight envelopes.

As for how I see a jet engaging mages would go? Not quite so onesided as you would suggest. The jets would come in at high speed, preferably in a slight dive, fire on the mages (probably with a number of machineguns intended for the purpose instead of the one or two cannons that most jets in our world would become), and extend past them at high speed as well, before regaining altitude at a safe distance and coming around for another go. Mages are incredibly maneuverable, and would doubtlessly be able to avoid many of these passes, but I don't think that they'd be able to turn around and get a proper firing solution afterwards because of the VERY high speed that the jets are carrying out of their dive increasing their separation greatly. It's basically a question of how many of these attacks the mage can dodge, but they wouldn't probably be very effective at fighting back unless they were a monster like Tanya. Jets have a definite advantage in being able to strike without much of a chance of being struck back at.

Dex-chan lover
might as well have just had the imperial army advance instead with how incredibly OP Tanya is.

jets are nearly useless against a flying human target , it's too small , jets weapons have no auto-tracking , flies too fast to be able to be as agile as a mage , fuel consumption is HUGE so it can't stay in fight for long , it's fast and difficult to aim at but mages have auto-tracking so it's not an issue as long as they're lower in altitude.
and if we ever see jets in this manga , it will be the first jets ever so it means it won't even be that good.
the only good thing they'll do is basically bomb the heart of the enemy territory , mages shouldn't be able to do anything against that because the jets would be able to attack very fast from a high altitude before the radars can spot them and the HQ can dispatch mages.

Guys, to put some perspective, in the setting of this world, fighter planes are considered the natural predator of flight mages. Most mages in the setting also aren't capable of attacking at the altitudes of most bombers and fighters in that world.

That 203 can actually engage and win against fighter planes, and also take down high altitude bombers is considered incredibly special and amazing in the setting, even though this is not shown in the manga itself.

That is why everyone they are fighting consider them a major threat that causes alarm bells whenever they are detected, and boost the morale of friendlies at the same time.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2015/07/an-air-force-veteran-disagrees-about-the-f-16-cessna-crash/399437/

@Eviltwinn it may be even slower than that. May I refer you to paragraph 8?
¨I recall that an aircraft flying instruments normally makes standard rate turns at 30 degrees of bank and at that bank angle any aircraft turns at 3 degrees per second or 360 degrees in two minutes."

@Silveridge
saw the movie raw yesterday, you need to wait until 203 mock the communist shits in not!moscow

Waifuhunter101 The LN setting is post-WW1 to early WW2. The manga jump into WW2 techs right away. There are actually some portable gatling gun prototypes in WW2, but only appear in 50s. It make sense that some kind of Gatling gun appear in this magic world and use by top elite squadron like 203.

reu

Dex-chan lover
I want to commit murder for this loli
LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE

Fed-Kun's army
i keep screaming every single text in this chapter in my mind
i love it

Dex-chan lover
@Doomer Yea, that would be good...but now they can regroup, prepare, and throw their everything at once with Tanya on their side. Both will yield amazing results, but this will be even better. And for someone who opts for efficiency so much, this is definitely the plan they'll go with since both have a high chance of victory.

Dex-chan lover
This battle was so incredibly epic, but the 203rd mage wing is just OP beyond common sense.

Fed-Kun's army
There were a lot of cool parallels in this chapter that made it feel so satisfying to read as an end to the Rhine Front. I think the coolest parallel was the scene for scene recreation of chapter 38 when Second Lieutenant Glanz risked mutiny against partaking in the Arene Massacre, but here Glanz was the one acting as the commanding officer. Seeing Glanz block the shot in the exact same way Tanya did just felt like tangible growth in his character, and I think I can most definitively say this was my favorite chapter so far.

Small weird thing to add, Neumann got impaled by a bayonet and then he self destructed like Tanya did in chapter 1, but somehow he survived and was healthy enough to fly back on his own with the rest of the wing. This man's got some dummy thicc plot armor.

Double-page supporter
When you see the speak bubble cover 50% of the panels, you know the rally speak is here.

This chapter is almost 100 pages long in the tankoban raw, and there are a bunch of pages just before the final pages of the chapter that are missing here. what's up with that? does the tankoban version have extra pages or something?

Users who are viewing this thread