The Second Coming of Gluttony

Dex-chan lover
@Degernase

well YouTube is supposedly "breaking even" or operating at a "small" loss according to an anonymous inside source, of course "small" for a multi million company like Google is still a lot of money.
As far as I know thought Google have never publicly posted the real hard data about it thought, so while I can't say you are wrong. I don't think you could prove yourself right.
Its a pretty unreliable information and for the sake of the argument don't really matter for the point I was making, But if you do find some let me know.
IF Google is losing money on YouTube it's not considered a lot of money to them as they expects to make up for it with extra "awareness" as you put it. Or they would sell it / close it down.
They did not get to where they are now by running bad businesses.

as for the reason why YouTube have gotten worse, I wouldn't blame on the ads system itself, I would blame it on the algorithm that controls who gets recommended what and the system behind that.
The current version incentivises long and mass produced videos that can be uploaded regularly.
This makes it so "home made" videos gets drowned out by groups or companies that actually can upload multiple videos in a week unlike hobby creators who does it for fun every now and then.
this is because its gives YouTube and Google more money in theory.(and likely in practice too, but again we can't say for sure without hard data).

the current system does have a few good points to it as well outside of getting google more money but i dont think you particularly care and this wall of text is long enough.
I should mention thought that most of the stupid things that have happened recently is needed because of US laws and I wholeheartedly agree that the changes made are stupid.
But for Google itself the options are fairly limited as they can't just ignore them, if you know anything about international laws about things on the internet you would know that.
But again, this is pretty irrelevant to the argument i was making as well.

I was pointing out the fact that if everybody used add blockers or only read manga and comics online for free the industry that makes them would shrink A LOT or disappear completely.
That and the fact that people are way happier paying for their content by wasting their time then with actual money.
The idea to fund YouTube with ads is in itself a pretty consumer friendly option, they have to make money somehow after all or the site would be a charity and not a business.
Nothing is truly free on the internet as you end up paying for it one way or another, be it Bitcoin mining, ads all over the pages, stolen computing power or real life information or actual fees paid with money.

TL:DR
Youtube is trash because of Google and not ads, I kinda agree with you but that was not really the point I was making anyway.
i was pointing out the Ads as a system to pay for "free" content is a mostly consumer friendly system if done right but when its not its cancerous like everything else.
like for example when you have to watch a 10 minute ad to watch a 4 minute video then it's pretty terrible.....

Aggregator gang
@Goldenzeal
My main gripe with ads is when it inevitably causes sites to adjust their content in order to attract more advertisers. In theory ads are a great way to support independent content creation but I'm willing to bend over backwards to avoid them (like many others) so I can't say that it's an ideal solution.

The algorithm is certainly to blame since its promoting big mainstream shit even if the search has a poor match rating and their views/rating is low.
Yes the switch forcing 10m+ videos to achieve decent monetization is trash but I feel that this is to let them have more and longer ads. Most mainstream content isn't really extremely longform from what I've seen on youtube, mainly shorter clips that act as advertising, alongside a few trash shows which don't really compete with some of the more popular independent channels.

As for US laws, yeah the recent shit isn't exactly helping content creators but youtube really goes out of their way to make up their own bullshit rules which in the end only serve to stifle their growth. If they didn't manipulate the algorithm and didn't keep adding rules that no law forces them to enforce, I doubt there'd be any financial trouble.

TL;DR
Youtube is trash because google is desperately trying to make it profitable, ads play a part in this. Decisions for the platform are made with ads in mind.
Ads are rarely done right, I'm so tired of that shit that I wont expose myself to them out of principle at this point. It would suck to see content disappear because of no financial support but I'm a selfish bastard that wont lower my internet QoL to throw someone 5 cents.
Stuff like Patreon seems like a much better solution but then those are even worse when it comes to banning users from their service. When someone tries to start up an alternative like Dick Masterson, Mastercard goes and tells payment providers they can't do business with his site or they'll cancel their contract.

The internet is getting shittier by the day.

EDIT: I forgot a big point, videos not being eligible for monetization because they're not 'advertiser friendly'. You could argue that people can at least still make those videos, but if a video is not monetized it wont get promoted by the algorithm, will get less views and wont help grow the channel it's on. That is directly caused by ads.

Fed-Kun's army
"Second coming of Gluttony Is So MuCh BeTtEr ThAn SoLo LeVeLiNg"

Not saying its bad but its chapter 20 and I dont think it warranted the overhype of some people

Why is everyone comparing this to Solo Leveling they have literally nothing in common

Aggregator gang
Both solo leveling and this are pretty shit imo. Solo leveling because characters never complete any development before just dropping off the face of the world. Gluttony because (Manga hasn't reached this point yet) the main character basically has multiple personality disorder and the author writes it like he's completely fine.
Right now he's still in the opening test so he acts consistently with his background as a rock bottom addict, but afterwards he becomes your stereotypical Japanese virgin protagonist whose naive about the world. Like wtf he gets flustered over lewd jokes, and acts like a damn puppy.

Aggregator gang
What a sh*t is that (i don't mean story but pace) freaking 24 chapters of manhwa are only 5 chapters of novel tf is that?

@bvdaf
What the hell are you saying? The chapter 5 of the webnovel is where Kim Hannah introduce herself for the first time.
Right now the manwha is at the chapter 15 content-wise.

First read webnovel then compare this to solo leveling! Im telling you! You cant compare them!

https://readwebnovels.net/novel/the-second-coming-of-gluttony/

Dex-chan lover
Omg I got bored reading this, more like, frustrated, feels like I had to read 5 chapters at once to feel that I've read just one compared to other works, is not like this need that much exposition, they just love to stay on one issue and spend 3 or 4 episodes thinking about it and you know, sometimes a door is just a fucking door! overanalizing everything just to prove that the mc is "clever" is just dragging this more than necessary, 28 chapters of running ... I bet the first fight will come around chapter 50 and who knows how many months the next fight will take.

@RobDog The scanlators don't post in Mangadex cause of some shit between them (plus some other groups) and the site admins. Jaiminisbox is the scanlator go to their website.

Aggregator gang
This is some good shit. Why isn’t this series rated higher? Looks to be about on par with Second Life Ranker for me, it should probably be an 8.5+ imo, not a 7.83. Then again, the tutorial arc was extremely long, so it makes sense that people might rate it a bit lower on account of stagnation; however, it wasn’t really a pacing issue in my opinion, and the story stayed fresh throughout the whole thing (at least, on a full read. I could see it being torturously slow if you have to wait a long time between such a long beginning arc). To me, this series seems to be a criminally underlooked hidden gem, since it has solid quality and doesn’t have many ratings or views. Gotta give props to Sleeping Knight for consistent uploads to this great manhwa, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread