The Second Coming of Gluttony

Double-page supporter
Yeah no I think I'll continue reading this on jaiminbox. The translation is way better there.
Just read chapter 41 on here and there. You'll see the difference fast.

Review, as I feel the convo between Solipsist and me474 doesn't do the manga justice.

First off, it's a korean story, not chinese, so has a bit difference in flavor. the confusion is likely because the novel translation is hosted on Wuxia world, which started off primarily translating chinese novels.

While the story does have some of the traditional tropes like a tournament, many female characters, or set in "other world"; I disagree that it is bad writing. Bad writing is using tropes as a crutch instead of properly describing a setting. This story does get lazy from time to time, especially in the early chapters when describing the MC's tragic backstory, which I feel is from the origins of the weekly/daily business model of these stories: if you don't hook people in a couple chapters, they quickly move on.

As a serial story targeted towards teens, it's decent, with the author knowing to focus on the characters instead of specifics of the world so the eventual plot resolutions do feel earned. There is an actual sense of tension, as even though MC can still feel OP, there is more to the fight than just dying. I hope the author writes an actual book sometime, as I feel he is too self conscious about the audience and can dumb down the story in response to negative feedback.

Overall, I'd say the manhua is about the same level as solo leveling, with art/story scores reversed. It's a bit toned down and less complex compared to the novel, but paced better. 8.5 is probably an accurate score.

@Prinnyfoof
you haven't seen the rape filler , have you ?
at least solo leveling wasn't too scummy to use a previous character as a th*t just for filler and doesn't do a shit to the story

Those last 2 chapters were sped up and barely told the story. The LN offers a better understanding and so much more detail. The skipped the part of the things he bought at the vip store with his voucher, they skipped him using his new eye color during the impossible mission. Read the LN 👍 roughly ch 34.

Definitely rushed, really sucks because the end of neutral zone is my favorite part of the LN even now.

Fed-Kun's army
For those who have the time, the LN is far better. The pacing and story order actually make sense. Also the LN has moments that are borderline nsfw, the few I've noticed here have been changed and I feel it takes away from the story. https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-second-coming-of-gluttony/

The beginning is really good that I even began to read the actual novel, and the novel is really fucking good.
But after comparing the novel and this manga, I am pretty disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread