The Servant of the Ultimate Party - Ch. 1

Dex-chan lover
@Amer Lord of the Ring is an isekai also, right?
Also now that I think about it, humans get reincarnated into Middleearth from some vague world, so tensei it is.

everytime some brainlet claims a fantasy story is an isekai despite literally all evidence to the contrary i get flashbacks to dumb boomer shit like taking your kid to an R-rated movie because "obviously a comicbook movie is going to be for children, that rating obviously doesnt mean anything"

Why do people get angry when someone miscategorizes something as isekai? Either they generally don't know in which case they just need ONE gentle explanation on what is an Isekai or they are a troll. And the troll succeeded in angering you.

If you are looking for other Isekai. There is a tag for it in mangadex. https://mangadex.org/genre/41

@CivilSky How long ago are we talking? I don't think any Boomer has children too young to see an R rated movie.

I go agree parents should check a movie before taking their children to see it though. Why did the movie get an R rating? I'm curious. What pushed it into R territory? Hmm.

Edit: I went looking... And which movie was Rated- R? I don't care to look since I don't need to... But every movie that I looked at (that a parent might want to take their kids) was pg-13.

@Darkmint13 im using boomer in the "ok boomer" sense, wherein it refers to basically anyone i think is an out of touch idiot.

that specific example was deadpool, which was r-rated for the visible gore, many sex jokes, and extreme violence. deadpool has as far as im aware never had a child-friendly image, but because it was a "comic-book movie" the mother in question took their 10 year old to see it, r-rating be damned.

other examples are parents renting anime movies like ninja scroll and akira from a store for their young child and ignoring the very visible age-rating on the cover, and then coming back into the store to complain to the clerk.

the whole "member of an older generation thinking everything belonging to x genre or medium must be for kids and then buying something wholely inappropriate for someone else despite any attempt by a member of the store to tell them otherwise" is a common internet anecdote

Dude look's pretty young and somewhat edgy for an "Old Man". I think Dias of the fantasy Mongolia manga is a better representation of this character archetype.

Welp, let's see how he deals with his "visibly desperate and about to mess with the wrong person" partner.

Dex-chan lover
Our kind of guy.

But once the wealth was shown, she had an immediate 180 of attitude.

Double-page supporter
Dandy protagonist!

I want those clock earrings. Assuming that they function.

@CivilSky lol there's idiots in every generation but I get what you're saying.

I was thinking it might be Deadpool but I wasn't sure since I only like Spiderman out of the marvel universe. (Didn't think Deadpool counted as a superhero) And I already gave up on most of DC.

Lol. Something similar happened to me with ninja scroll but in my case I was just consuming everything in the anime section. It was more of a ok what is going on. Lol

Dex-chan lover
Clothing looks like it's been lifted from later Final Fantasy installments...

Fed-Kun's army
"Who are you calling a girl? Though I look like this-" uh oh "i'm an adult!" Oh phew

Group Leader
wow kirei cake posted an isekai chapter that's actually a whole chapter, halle fucking lujah

Fed-Kun's army
AT LEAST... a "old man" manga with an old man that doesnt look like a 20 year old potato...

its weird when a party that recognise the MC (at beginning of the story) is a "fresh" twist

Fed-Kun's army
Oh. Though it going to be another revenge fantasy manga like the old man got fucked over by ungrateful hero party, but it actually took an opposite direction. What a breath of fresh air.

@Silwith @WEISS
(tl;dr version: The manga is mislabeled, if I associated the Japanese correctly, and should read "middle-aged man" instead of "old man")

Well, the word used is "ossan", which could potentially translate as "aged man" or "older man", since it can be associated with either of "old man" or "middle-aged man" (though it most typically associates with, and is translated into the latter). This differs from "jiisan", which does directly translates to "old man", and bases its origins off of the Japanese word for "grandfather". Thus, it is directly equatable not only to "old man" over here, but also to English's use of "grandpa" to respectfully refer to old men one is unrelated to.

Similarly, ossan is often used towards middle-aged men in Japan the same way "old man" is used towards middle-aged men over here. Of course, over here that's typically a term of endearment offered up by the individual's own children or spouse, while in Japan it seems to be more popular in being used by strangers to indicate a casual or disrespectful stance towards a middle-aged man. That is to say, it's primarily a term used to refer to middle-aged men [albeit, often in a japing way which teases their age], or to encapsulate middle-aged and old men as a whole (ex).

Point being, it doesn't actually seem that it would properly translate to "old man" for this particular manga (or in most circumstances, at that), which explains why the servant is still fairly fresh. This mistranslation of sorts is also likely very true of any other manga you're considering, wherein a male protagonist is younger than you'd expect of "old man", as ossan most naturally translates to "middle-aged man" rather than to "old man" (and yet, is often translated as old man instead).

Consider the appearance of the 63 [technically 73] year old protagonist of the jiisan titled Jiisama ga iku (Translated: An Old Man in Counterworld) as it compares against the appearance of the 38-year old protagonist of the ossan-titled Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki (Translated: A Certain Middle-Aged Man's VRMMO Activity Log). The latter shouldn't have its title translated to have "old man" in it anymore than this manga should, unless we're considering a rather low threshold for the label.

In any case, properly speaking, this manga would be better suited to be titled "A middle-aged man forced to take a holiday" than "an old man forced to take a holiday".

Users who are viewing this thread