Contributor
don't underestimate how fucked up depression will leave you feeling
there are a bunch of depression themed manga out there
some hit harder than others
https://mangadex.org/title/9131/34-sai-mushoku-san
https://mangadex.org/title/21423/yuuutsu-kun-to-succubus-san

I touched my hair a lot when I’m anxious and depressed too

Dex-chan lover
Don't worry guys, this is supposedly autobiographical, so she must have gotten better.

Aggregator gang
It’s really hard to make friends as an adult. I wish Tsuna being more familiar in Osaka would introduce her to some of his friends

Tsuna-san, it's obviously not nothing. Pay a little more attention to your wife's condition.
And Urashi, speak up already! If you can't talk to him, send him an email.

Dex-chan lover
Quite the situation, let's hope he takes action and helps her, not that she wouldn't have to tell him but still, for story sake :c

Dex-chan lover
This shit is hitting extremely close to home. The sleeping problems, the upset stomach, fuck.
Here I am, recently quit my job to go freelance and it’s been even more stressful than before, really doublethinking all my decisions in life and wondering what even was I trying to prove. I should be working on two proposals and can’t fucking focus and the coffee at 9pm is not fucking helping aaaaaaaaa

I hope this one ends better, I need some inspiration. I also like to draw but haven’t had time to even get these october dailies going with all the shit I should be doing and it hurts me so much...

Dex-chan lover
Hang in there, impendio!
Job-hunting in the middle of a recession is tough. Hope she cuts herself some slack.
Thanks for the translations!!! ⛪⛪⛪

BCS

Dex-chan lover
You'd think having concentration problems, insomnia and stomach pains would prompt someone to visit the doctor, but nooo

Double-page supporter
What makes this manga realistic, at least this chapter, is how it shows that depression is a disease.
In any other story (manga, book, movie) the narrator seems to say that the disease comes from someone's fault, the fault lies with the sick person or the environment in which he lives, and then if a woman gets sick then the fault is surely given to her husband. Here they did well to describe in detail the background of their marriage, even if the two are not very affectionate, however, in their own way they love each other and despite the changes nothing excessively traumatic has happened. Depression comes and it's no one's fault, and it's also difficult for the family to immediately notice the symptoms or intervene, imagine that you are depressed and your spouse or mother always asks you "how are you?"

Dex-chan lover
@HajimeteNHK It's important to note though that not all depression is clinical, that up to a certain point having bouts of depression is a "normal" response to stressful or emotional situations and can be alleviated through time and/or personal action rather than medical intervention. Just because a person feels depressed does not mean they suffer from clinical depression. Same goes for anxiety. That particular type of depression is often referred to as "low mood" and can develop into clinical depression in more severe cases so shouldn't be taken lightly either, it's just generally much more treatable and in fact can be/often is environmental. I'm not saying this to take anything away from those with genuine clinical depression, or belittle those with regular depression, but to provide context to the difference between the two.

This case though is quite clearly clinical depression, the medical condition, and requires outside help.

Another good example of an autobiographical account of clinical depression is "The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness" and its sequels. Unfortunately this author's particular struggles with mental health are ongoing.

Fed-Kun's army
@impendio Same here. I went freelance since finding a full-time job is hard right now... This manga really deserves that feeling of stress and anxiety perfectly...a bit too well in fact.

@MacMeaties It's too bad if the author is still undergoing the same issues. I'm guessing this series is a bit like writing/art as therapy, I hope that writing about the struggle helps.

@BCS I wonder if they have medical insurance or something similar to cover the costs; given how ashamed the main character is about not being able to contribute financially, she's probably even more ashamed to add to the costs by having to go to a doctor. I hope that she will go eventually, her husband seems supportive enough.

Users who are viewing this thread