The Skeleton Soldier Failed to Defend the Dungeon - Vol. 1 Ch. 56

Double-page supporter
@Solipsist What you're describing are two tropes, one is called the hero's journey and the other the call to adventure, not every story is written with those as their model anymore, every book I read growing up used those two tropes as their framework, and now that I'm older and seen it used in so many different ways, I'm very tired of it, there are a lot of other people who feel the same. I suggest you read something like Warlock of the Magus world or Reverend Insanity for perspective on a proactive protagonist that didn't need the call to adventure to have a goal and seek out the power to accomplish it.

Dex-chan lover
@gaigous
Just to seal this topic: I literally never said anything like "Establishing a hero who trained for his powers is bullshit ", neither did I say "any other alternative is bad and here's why".
This entire retarded topic started out of a stupid arse misunderstanding that just gave me a headache. All I said was: "If <you want to spike your MC's power> -- then <you better have a good reason for it>". That's literally it. It rides on the simple premise that "giving something a reason is much better than literally having nothing". I never said "It is awesome when you spike your MC's power to solve something immediately, and that's the only thing I want to see." I said it was a better alternative to "Just being dumped with a lot of power and then trying to write up something to do with it", and I gave examples of that.
Remember what we're reading here, this is a discussion about a story in which the skeleton-MC is about to absorb a huge amounts of power, and it feels like he's just going to willy-nilly with it without any given rhyme or reason. I commented on it. That's it.
I am reminded why I hardly ever comment anymore, I'm out.

Dex-chan lover
@Solipsist:
That's not the "opposite"
Forget the fact that the assertion above does not agree with formal logic (go and negate my original statement and see for yourself), I believe you're just trying to derail the convo at this point. Note that this is your statement:
it's a lot better for him to have a reason standing in front of him that'd require that much power, rather than just literally let him stand still on a battlefield and then enjoy his sweet time by sucking away everyone's abilities and strength for no reason.
Thus far you have only paraphrased the same idea over and over, but you have yet to substantiate it:
"You gained a lot of power, let's go find something to do with it", which I repeatedly explained is potentially much, much worse than the former.
You didn't explain why it is worse, you just kept paraphrasing that it is worse. I am still waiting for a solid argument as to why this is so. If this is simply your belief and you have no other basis for it, you should probably mention it.
"If you're asking "why even have overwhelming power to begin with?" -- then you're stepping outside of the topic."
That's not what I am asking though, is it? The statement:
that's established as strong and providing a challenge where he doesn't have to unrealistically gain such power
admits the possibility of overwhelming power in the part "established as strong". But I digress (partly thanks to you). Back onto the main topic:
A power demands a need
Says who? With the risk of repeating myself - the last few replies you've kept going in circles postulating the same things over and over. I want you to provide arguments, not just paraphrase your points.
Also regarding your other comment:
you better have a good reason for it
Here's the thing - an insurmountable obstacle is not more of a reason for your MC getting a power up, if he gets it out of thin air, than having no obstacle. Thus my whole point is that what you presented as a "good" reason is in fact not a good reason. Let me make it explicit for you - a good reason would be your MC having trained for 5k years, a MC getting a power up does not logically follow from him being in a dire situation, thus it's not obvious how you derived the fact that the obstacle a MC faces is a "good" reason. It's not logically consistent - it does not follows the causality principle. And this is precisely the reason why I am trying to understand why you believe it's "good", but you keep dodging it. It seems that for you it makes more sense if a MC gets a random power-up if there's something he must beat at the moment with this power up, rather than the MC getting a power up and then the challenge being introduced. I argue that the former is not better than the latter. Note that I already provided arguments why it is not (the plot hole patching argument).

Fed-Kun's army
@Solipist
If you want to spike your MC's power -- then you better have a good reason for it.

I see where you're coming from, but if you're talking about a reason for the MC himself to keep seeking power, I think this story gets around that pretty well with its repeated 'savestate' gimmick. Every loop, Skellington eventually meets something (whether that be a person or a situation) that's stronger than he can take on with his current powerlevel and amount of knowledge, and gets absolutely wrecked. The reason he's continuously trying to get more powerful is because he knows how many things in this world can utterly destroy him, and how many times he's failed to protect someone because of that.

In order to protect the succubus nearly twenty years from current time, he's going to need to survive both a world war between human factions and the invasion of a bunch of demon gods in the aftermath. And he knows how many of the things involved in those conflicts could swat him like a fly. There's plenty of motivation for why he wants to gain power.

As for this absorption scene, where he basically stands around during the fight and leeches all the XP after a mysterious monster shows up and kills everyone, yeah, this has definitely been the weakest-plotted loop so far. In all the others, I actually gave a shit about the characters and situations, and was sad to see him fail. This just seems like a dubious excuse to give him more skills and power, only tangentially linked to the rest of the plot.

I noticed that what the dark knight was saying, was written in greek text. To be honest, it felt like it was put through google translate because in the first instance he says (and I translate) "Because I can make a request". Nonsense... Then in the second instance he says "There is no left time" with 'left' here being the direction (right or left). So I'm guessing his text was machine translated to greek, to say "There is no time left" or what not. How you interpret that is up to you.

this ones interesting because he is not just getting stronger left and right. he is going through a lot, oh my dude

will he ever get a flesh, probably not

Double-page supporter
based on what everyone is saying about the knights text ill assume hes saying 'ill put in an application (for you)' and 'theres no time left' which to me paints a very clear picture of whats going on with him

Users who are viewing this thread