The Soulless Duchess - Vol. 1 Ch. 11

@Agathafk
In the grand scheme of things, yes, fan scan/translators don’t own the series. As individuals, at the end of the day, you’re free to make your own decisions and owning up to them.

What I just want to clarify is the reason why sniping is perceived the way it is: yes, all scan/trans groups carry the risk of potential legal trouble. But the reason why they risk it is bc they want to make series accessible to readers who otherwise may not know about it or able to obtain/read it. With this sentiment, most groups share the same intention.

With sniping, it takes those intentions and turns it into a competition. Whoever updates last starts to feel discouraged & that they wasted their time & energy, since that effort was suppose to go into making something that was previously
unavailable now accessible. More than one group working on releasing the same content just isn’t productive and doesn’t add anything new to the scene (if they’re both of passable quality; in cases where the quality is starkly different then more than one option would be more openly embraced). It’s more productive and respectful for the scan/translation community in general (not readers, readers would arguably benefit) if sniping is avoided when possible

Rather than it being “right or wrong”, it’s more like acknowledging that sniping was disrespectful to the former group. But if that’s something you’re fine with doing and you end up releasing first consistently, then by all means, that’s the decision you choose to embrace. It’s not really about the readers bc at the end of the day, they’ll continue to read what they want to.

Dex-chan lover
@Agathafk

You said it's OK, because you didn't know the 'snipers rule' and that you are doing it for fun so everything is ok.

No it's not, not knowing the rule is not excusing you. You enter the community so you at least should check the rules out. Just as a matter of politeness. The same applies when you visit foreign countries, if you are rude as a tourist you Basically you should apologize and stop doing the thing not wave with your passport and be suprised by the community reactions.

This attitude just promote fast, bad translation that lower the overall quality of translation. This is just bad.

Also the cloud forever action was just cheap and dirty trick to quall any negative opinions.

I would be frank and maybe rude, but I think this page would be better without you and I wish you will be disbanded soon.

You enter the community so you at least should check the rules out. Just as a matter of politeness.

wut? the rules you are referring to doesn't exist and where he'll get those 'rules'? from milkers groups? LUL

The rules that people keep referring to aren't mandatory. The thing is, we're all here enjoying illegally translated work. The creator doesn't get a dime from this and she and her publisher are the only ones with a real right to demand how this thing gets published.

I really don't get why two teams working on the same project is a bad thing? If you're saying that the translation doesn't have the same quality as the first one then I agree with NNG that the readers are free to decide which one they want to read. And if you're saying that the original group will lose interest in translating then all I can say that that's the risk that we all take when we read fan translations. Sometimes groups just stop translating even whitout a sniping issue. That's just how it is with free translations.

We see the original creators beg on social media to stop the fan translations because that's equivalent to stealing their work and that they're losing interest in continuing their story. Well it's the same. The only difference is, at least the original creator has the right to actually feel upset that their work is being distributed for free.

Thank you for the update and Claude Forever!
Note to the readers: I don't know if the two groups can come to an agreement (maybe they work on it together, maybe each team works on a specific chapter to release on intervals) but I hope people remember that these are free translations, that it's only because they're posting on the same site that you even know that these two groups are working on the same project, thus why this is called 'sniping' since you can see which group is already working on this project. I've found groups who translate the same webtoon but post on their own website of choice but this wouldn't cause drama.
Remember, these are both profitless groups who obviously both love this story,both want to release it for us to enjoy with them and NNg are also using this as an opportunity to improve their TL abilities. We are all fans and we want to share our hobby together okay? As readers in the same community, the best we can do is encourage these teams to work together in order to stop the hard feelings that are developing. I don't want these lovely groups to stop TL'ing because their scared their work will be sniped or that they can't work on project they have a passion for just because another group is working on it.
But the one thing we definitely shouldn't do is bully another group into disbanding or say harsh things to one another. These teams are precious and without doubt both work hard to translate these not just for themselves but for others to enjoy too. I truly feel for both sides and thank both teams for continuing to TL through periods of strife like this. I just hope for an answer that can please both parties.

You guys keep translating <3 and Claude forever!
PS: I can't stand the cheater-baron and the two-faced cousin.

Contributor
Please talk this out with Devil and Angel Scans: snipping is not good practice. If you want to continue the project, it would be better to properly discuss the matter with the original group, not ignore their notices. If you were offering a different version of the chapter that would be a different matter, however, you are using the same versions. As such please discuss it with Devil and Angel Scans or go for a different project which no one is working on at present.

Don't bother talking to the other group, they'd just make a slave of you.
Here are the options they could suggest:
1. NNG translates slower or stop translating. (Why translate to begin with if they would agree to this?)
2. NNG releases different chapters that would leave massive gaps since DA can't keep up. (NNG would be screwing themselves since almost no one would read ahead)
3. NNG works for them, lets them steal credit, does the hard parts that take DA a long time and lets DA put their name on it. (Only benefits DA and they'd probably still slow the release)
NNG has absolutely nothing to gain when they're already doing everything themselves. Sounds like DA is too big, scans passing through too many team members with different schedules and varying levels of giving a crap. Only way to keep up is if they cut out the fat like an over-inflated corporation. DA is lucky it isn't the real world and they have to compete with companies like Walmart.
Yeah DA will probably run away and quit because they can't handle the competition and barely wanted to do this to begin with like a lot of groups. Already burnt out and looking for a reason and this would just be the final straw to set them free. Can already hear their bitterness in the "Don't you dare repost this or else we quit!" crap on their front page. If DA has any actual pride or fire in their soul then they'd keep going and never let another group take them down with a days worth of effort. One person who knows Japanese Korean well could do these chapters in less than 30 minutes. Fancy typesetting, cleaning, and redrawing are minor luxuries that 90% of readers don't care about or notice.

@ManlyMan6545 just want to comment on your 3rd point, the ban on reposting is for everyone's benefit cos by reposting it on popular sosial media like instagram, twitter, fb etc, the risk of being found out by the author is terribly high. As scanlation falls under grey area and it's not exactly legal to translate and share, the scanlators could be warned or even fined by the author/company. They are not saying it out of bitterness and instead just informing us the consequences of reposting their works. Please understand that.

Gaspal's self-absorption is truly incredible, thinking Ivona is ambitious and demanding when all she's asked for is to be treated like his actual fiancee. Has he forgotten that the jewel was a gift in recognition of his "relationship" with Ivona and not Tri- what am I talking about, of course he has. In my heart I want him to be humiliated by a public reveal that as a summoner he's a fraud.

As far as the group drama goes, it would probably have been polite to give DA a heads up that NNG would be releasing their own chapters but it wasn't obligatory. It's also not sniping and NNG isn't committing some great fandom sin by wanting to keep working on this series. Honestly DA is pretty audacious to be mad that they weren't asked permission when they have no permission to translate it from the company or the creators in the first place. I hope NNG keeps working on this because I'm going to pass on reading anything DA does in the future.

@AngryFerret Telling them to disband and get out isn't being frank, it's just rude.

Ugh seriously, where does he get the confidence to even think so!
That's so human, to cling to you when you're useful and throw you away like trash when you're useless.

when the drama about the translations distract you about the drama of the series . . . .fuck

Dex-chan lover
OK, sniping doesn't make a group horrible evil people. But honest to gawd, with all the manga, manhwa and toons out there you couldn't find something nobody was working on that was as interesting as this pretty damn typical comic? Give me some time to dig, I could totally nominate some series better than this this that got dropped a year or more ago and need some love, that nobody would be upset someone was taking on.
Really, this kind of thing wastes people's effort on duplication, it also wastes time and effort on getting everyone pissed off and having arguments, so now that you know, next time find something nobody's working on, K?

Users who are viewing this thread