The Soulless Duchess - Vol. 1 Ch. 9

Dear scanlation group, I'm sorry to hear that you guys are stuck in this uncomfortable position. It must be difficult to see your work 'sniped' by others when you worked so hard on yours. However, just my opinion, perhaps rather than determining who should translate the work, it may be a better idea to collab and produce faster release? There won't be duplicate products and we can have faster release, less workload for you guys, learning experience for each other, less time wasted, etc. Or perhaps you can agree to work on alternate chapters. Just a suggestion. And once again, really sorry you're facing this :(

Thank you for your hard works D&A
The ungrateful readers always funny to see..
They only care if someone bring the chapter faster without even care for the world..

It's not like the D&A have full time job to keep bring you folks new release, the translator have life too and some of them not as good as yours who sleep well while read your favorite series.. Even so.. My words won't reach to those who as ungrateful readers..

@Puzzler
Didn't you see at credit that D&A got ignored by the unknown group.. How the heck they can smooth the conversation if the other party not willing to play nice.. Lol..

If a sniper provides roughly the same quality with no malicious intent then I see no problem with them doing so. The main problem with sniping is the fact that it causes wasted effort and feels like a slap in the face to the scanlation team but that's about it. It's not a nice thing to do but it's happened and if the sniper is more motivated/focused on the series then it should come as no surprise that the sniping is overlooked.

The fact that they sniped your project, ignored your dms, and consider this project ‘practice’ instead of working on a different project, all seems really rude and fishy to me.
I prefer your scanlation over theirs anyway.

Thanks so much for the update DnA!
I was thankful to both groups translations but it is unfortunate to hear of the unpleasantries between you. I was not aware there was such a thing as "sniping" so thank you for bringing it to attention, it was indeed wrong of this new group to pick up this series without even contacting you first and to not respond to you either... I'm hoping they didn't start this with malicious intent knowing it would destroy your hard work as they seem new and stated they only wished to practice but of course they are still in the wrong for their ignorance and I hope they will realise their wrongdoing and respond to you to mend it so that things can come to a peaceful conclusion.

Nonetheless thanks so much for the translations DnA, your hard work is really appreciated and you've brought quality scans which are really worth waiting for and I really hope this does not become something that discourages you from continuing this project as myself and many others really love reading your TDES translations which is why I really hope for things to be resolved soon and peacefully.

Y’all sure do bitch a lot for people that are getting to read this for free and also illegally. 🤔

@_Kaoru_ and everyone else too I'm not saying it with anger or anything...
But I think that if they are sniping then you are sniping too...
Since no one received the permission from the author then everything is sniping right?
Like you, they are doing the effort to translate the chapters and it's not like they have stolen your translations so I really can't see what's the problem... As you can see everyone reads the translation that comes out first it's not about loyalty but about who can make us happier first!

I was surprised to see the quality of writing go up, not really knowing which group posted it. So I read the page with the long text. Usually, I think of them as advertising, a 'we-need-a-translator' page. Because some works here include advertisement pages that I've learned to ignore it.

I thought it was some weird internal fight. Really not sure how to take upon the comment of sniping, as I've never really known about much of it before.

Basing on what's already happened, here is what I honestly feel: the sniping announcement needs an edit.

The tone of writing sets off some kind of indignant feeling. It's not because of the sniping part, but the part where they assume that they have an authority to give permissions to other groups to allow them to translate something. It's not mentioned as a fact that, as a group, no one can translate without the AUTHOR'S permission. Assuming they have a hold on this work is kind of silly. It's one of the parts that put me off the whole note. Don't worry, I support you. (Just not that note.)

Another part of the note that caused confusion is sniping being a bad thing to do – for me, who has not heard of this, I would have wanted an explanation from the translator: what is it, and why is it bad? Give an example of what it has caused. Getting this information from the announcement would have helped a ton, because I assumed that the translator was angry about competition. I had to sift through the comments section to understand what it really meant, and I'm glad I did.

From what I've learned, sniping isn't a polite thing to do. Someone tried to take over this work by posting the NEXT chapter of D&A's last release, instead of posting from chapter 1. That's not a good sign, because it can cause the first group to be disheartened and discouraged, which in turn could make them drop the release.

Another thing to note is: D&A has a community that loves and supports them, and has a lot of people anticipating their release. They probably have announcements there of their releases, delays and other things. They are held accountable for their actions, and therefore would be observed if they muck around their announcements.

(Though they did the same thing, didn't they? They posted chapter 9 of the second group's last release. Which made them a sniper, too. Probably a bad example to set, after mentioning that sniping is BAD.)

The second group has no such thing, I think. That's what is bad. There's no promise they can uphold their words unless they put themselves out in the open. This means no future chapters if they get tired of translating. No idea what kind of work they do, too. We know nothing. They're hiding in the shadows, and trying to goad people into commenting stupid, useless comments.

(I hate that part, because it's reminding me of social media people who beg for "likes" or other similar points that give someone attention. It's useless, and it makes a mockery out of the people who genuinely want to comment with more words than what they want.)

Sure, the fast updates nice. (Grammar needs work, and a lot.) But the lack of plans for the future is not nice. If the first group drops this, what happens when the second group does it? No translations. Another group picks it up? Start from the beginning. Perhaps with high expectations on them, too.

Things that can possibly happen: second group posts the first few chapters they have missed, so they are not considered as a sniper. First group could also try not to be too angry that someone else is trying to translate the work because they love the work, too. Both of them could post. Maybe they could take in the other group. Teach each other.

(Or they both drop it, so someone else will pick it up.)

Edit: didn't know it, but the other group has posted chapter 9, too. They mentioned the DM.

Group Leader
Are people actually comparing free scanlations to market competition? These are real people who do it for fun/attention or whatever reason, and not for profit. They don't want to compete. There's nothing to be gained from competing. If they don't see the point in scanlating anymore cause everyone's happy with the garbage the other group is releasing, they're just gonna quit. It happens so often when a series gets sniped and ironically the snipers usually drop the series shortly after the original group does. Competition in scanlation is retarded.

Claude forever! oh wrong chapter 🤭

>"supporting sniper" LUL
imagine needing permission to do scanlation
no i'm not supporting sniper but it's better than milker's
same thing happenened with leviathian's where there's a whole conspiracy about sniping

>"ungrateful readers" LUL
more like why should people be grateful for groups that milk or drop stuff(not specifically talking about D&A)

I wouldn't have an issue with people sniping the translations, as most people don't have permission anyways, but good god are the other translations shit. The grammar is so poor it hurts to read. If someone is going to do a shit job they might as well not do it at all. That said, keep up the good work. This translation is excellent, I'm sure other would rather read this than the other as it were. So I'm sure a few others would appreciate if you put your versions of 6-8 up if you have them.

Not going to lie. I only supported them before I knew they were snipers. I'm embarrassed to admit I don't pay much attention to title pages and translators. Didn't realize it had changed. I definitely support you guys more. Yours is higher quality and wasn't even going at a slow pace.

@Reyven
Stepmother's Marchen was initially being translated by secret land castle and was sniped by another group which in turn translations were continued by Bucci Gang. I think the approval you're talking about was from the sniper to Bucci gang.

I remember that the sniper was not talking with the SLC translator and even included in one of their credits asking the general audience if it was ok that they continue the translation. Of course the audience said sure since they were releasing faster than SLC and even attacked SLC for being "childish". SLC on the other hand was keeping a low profile due to being issued by a cease and desist email from the korean publisher for another webtoon. SLC eventually got tired of the drama and dropped the stepmothers marchen.

In the end, it's gonna be the same thing that happened to "A Stepmother's Märchen".
The group will end up dropping and the snipper too, then no more updates of "The Duchess With an Empty Soul".
Honestly, my hopes are low and I can only say "It was good while it lasted".

Users who are viewing this thread