The Villainess Turns the Hourglass - Vol. 2 Ch. 47

@athyathyathy,

According to the novel,
Aria is half nobility. Her father is the only son of a Marquis from a nearby kingdom. If I remember it correctly, her biological grandmother drank some magical lake water (the source of the Franz imperial family's powers) when she was forced to marry into the royal family. However, at that time, she was already pregnant with Aria's father. So basically, Aria and Asher had the same source of power.

Dex-chan lover
Oh god the power couple these 2 make. One is a teleporter, and the other is a time rewinder. May the heavens be with their children

now all that's left to do is have him and the whole world find out that she is investor A and I will be really satisfied =w=

Thank you for the update!!!

These otome isekai series always make one very obvious mistake when building their pseudo-European period fantasy worlds: They divide the society into royalty, nobles, and commoners, conveniently forgetting that class divides outside of peerage exist. A society as developed as this one would not only already have plenty of schooling opportunities for the working class, but also a rising and quite successful middle class unconnected to the nobility. This series makes a flaccid attempt to acknowledge the latter, but doesn't seem to understand that a rising middle class would be nothing new or novel at this point. In fact, it's pretty wild that most of the trade and industry in this world is still overwhelmingly monopolized by the nobility and royalty; that hasn't been the case in the West for a long time (possibly ever, depending on your metrics). It's so weird to see these quasi-medieval European/C-drama politics grafted onto a setting that's somewhere in the late 1700s- early 1900s ballpark in terms of technology, industry, and fashion.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that real-life "commoners" did not need the intervention of Divine Goodpure Royals in order to pursue higher education, run successful businesses, and achieve economic independence from landowning nobles. Speaking of divine royalty, let's hear it for finally getting past the drawn-out question of Asher's heritage and powers! I feel like the powers are being revealed a little earlier than in the novel, but I don't know for sure; the whole middle section was an absolute slog and I admittedly don't remember most of it. I'm glad we're finally starting to set up The Worst Reveal, that being that
Aria is ackshually of legit noble blood and even got her superpowers through her father's line, completely destroying the last shred of transgressive appeal she had
. That'll be fun. The art is still very nice, though both Asher and Aria's rapid aging doesn't translate well to visuals. They both look like jaded thirty-somethings and it's kinda weird.

Dex-chan lover
Really feels like Aria is breaking character now. She has always been completely cold, distant, and calculating before even with Sarah who so clearly cares about her. She honestly came across to me as having developed ASPD from her experiences before the time leap. Seeing her now blushing, clearly displaying her true emotions instead of hiding them behind a polite smile, and talking openly about her emotions (I won't be able to keep trusting you) without some major arc where she changes to truly open up to someone, probably Sarah, feels like lazy writing.

I like Aria's missing important parts however very intelligent person πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ She's like me so i understand her πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Like seeing the foods but not to notice the feast 🀣

Double-page supporter
@K_mari This isn't isekai. Isekai would be if she traveled to a different world, not being reborn in the same world she previously lived in. To use the Japanese term, this would be classified as Tensei. Not going to get into the whole Proletariat vs Bourgeoisie distinction.

Browsing Wikipedia for an hour would help these authors when building these mind numbingly dumb hierarchal societies.

@degenerateafro Pretty much all "villainess" manhwa are considered otome isekai, even if the protagonist isn't from another world. R/OtomeIsekai's parameters for what is and isn't otome isekai are more useful to readers' purposes than the literal definitions of "otome" and "isekai," since the subgenre breaks from the staples of regular isekai anyway and is mainly distinguished by certain romantic and political tropes combined with the protagonist's foreknowledge of certain events.

Users who are viewing this thread