This Villainess Wants a Divorce! - Vol. 1 Ch. 16

Aggregator gang
MC: Did i just change the story?
me: hmmmm, lets see...checks all 15 chapters again yup, you changed the story from the moment you rencarnated as the princes. its strange to me how you came to notice until now.

Double-page supporter
Ah, the death flag's back. It'd be terrible if she ends up getting Cesar killed, since things are already going differently.

Dex-chan lover
Hell yeah, get it, girl.

And I'm assuming Ceaser will be "fine" since "Survive as the Hero's Wife" is the title. Can't be the hero's wife if there's no hero.

Dex-chan lover
Gracie is totally girl crush material X'DDD No wonder some people are hopelessly thinking about shipping her and the female mc<33 X'DD
At least the best friend route between them should be possible? Would be quite amazing to read about :DD

Power Uploader
The prince comes back as a war hero… but nobody cares because, 200 years earlier than in our world, Canaria and Gracie will have launched sex revolution! \o/

Speaking of, the lengths shoujo series go to put fanservice above historical precision…

I'm no military buff, but even I know that those shiny young men in pretty uniforms only make sense in a world that has firearms, not swords as the main personal use weapon. So far we haven't seen as much as a pistol in this webtoon.

'Cause you know, if mélée weapons are the norm, then they would be wearing suits of armour and carrying shields. The handsome uniforms from the 18th and 19th that inspire shoujo artists appeared as suits of armour and shields became obsolete. Carrying less weight increased mobility and made a soldier less of a sitting duck for someone carrying a weapon. The norm was the bayonet at the time, if memory serves.

But whatever, military technology of the 1600s and uniforms of the 1800s make the most romantic combination, I guess.

Not that I care. I'm enjoying this for the rom-com anyway.

Sem

Dex-chan lover
If Cesar survives this and manages to come back, he's going to find that Gracie's become a duchess and now keeps trying to hit on his wife.

Dex-chan lover
Oh God! The letters! The letters we've been jokingly sending about plants and lesbians are going to get him killed! We've fucked up, we've doomed the story!

Dex-chan lover
Duuuude, spending money is not a trivial thing... nor is managing a salon, expecially when the saloon will be created by spending his money... that at least shows she is indeed a women and that she was created in a enviorement that spoiled her even if just a little.

Also not necessity but self interest or greed. She wants to be "free" not realizing that she is just the way she is because of how protected she is.

The heroine is a "talented" person with a rotten personality, nothing new I guess... My doubt in the end is who is actually the better choice to inherit the Duke house. My bet is in the cousin for various reason other than their sex but we don't know enough about the character to say who is the better one.

Dex-chan lover
@Kendama
Because of historial acurace been so low it may happen but IRL there would be no change of that revolution being possible in a society so primitive. It only happens when society can give itself the luxury of weakness.

Group Leader
@mahtan
She has a rotten personality because she believed shse more then just a "noblewoman"?

Even random peoplel said that if she was born a man she would have inherited the title and been a great Duke. So yea. Shes a better choice then the cousin according to the narrative

A women having ambitions isnt bad nor does it give them a rotten personality. Especially in her environment where men had more opportunities then women even if they wernt as capable then them

Dex-chan lover
@theilikepie
No, she has a rotten personality becaue she is spoiled by those around her praising her all the time and fail to understand her position and reasons to what is happening around her.

Stop thinking about what is happening with the preconcepts of our modern society and remember that they are in what seems to be the middle ages. Family name and position are connected and have a greater weight than most people understand today.

If you analise her complains so far they are stupid ramblings. The money is not hers but the family's and her father is the one in charge of the family. If anything happens it is him that will have to burden the consequences and as such anything that may impact the family needs his aproval, it's not only she that needs it but all the members of the family. That she is allowed to venture in her desires, as she speaks of managing a business as if she was allowed to do it after asking, shows that she is not being opressed or not given oportunities to show her worth.

Also it is hard to say if she is as "talented" as is being said as since she is the daughter of a duke they could be just flatering her by saying such.

Dex-chan lover
@mahtan - As Dr. Ian Malcolm observed, "[You] were so preoccupied with whether or not [you] could, [you] didn't stop to think if [you] should." *invokes Chesterton's fence*

T_T BAE WANTS TO SEE HIS GIRL. I HOPE GRACIE BECOMES A DUKE.

AND MY HEART HURTS KNOWING THAT CAESER IS GONNA FIND OUT ABOUT THE MC TRYING TO MAKE DEALS WITH THE EVIL BITCH BUT IS ALSO TRYING TO HELP CAESER. AKSJFGKHAEUT THIS MISUNDERSTANDING IS GONNA HURT ME SO BAD.

@mahtan

If you think that modern women are the only ones that would complain about the lack of economic freedom based on their gender, then you don't really have any understanding of history. The setting is a fictional one that isn't necessarily "middle ages" as nothing in the costumes or known setting is historically accurate to any time period of any European country. Gender relations are also a lot more complex than you seem to think during the centuries-long time span that counts as the "middle ages" in the whole-ass continent of Europe, particularly when it comes to finances, property, inheritance, etc.

TL;DR Historical accuracy is not a valid argument for a fictional setting. Your argument that she is spoiled and has a rotten personality is not supported by the narrative. Economic freedom has always been a major concern for women throughout history and that INCLUDES the middle ages.

Not that the setting in any way resembles the middle ages tbh as the aesthetic is closer to early modern ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dex-chan lover
@mmonstra
How it is not suported by the narrative when it is based on what she said in the chapter?
Economic freedom has not been a problem for women because historically the men are responsable for adquiring money for the family and it would happen that in the event the women would get money it usually was hers to use as she wanted while all money gained by the man was the family money.
Women were able to work and such even at that time, sellers in the market or working in the family fields or even working in mines at times. If anything you are the one that seen to need to study story...
Don't take me wrong, I do blieve some stupid noble women would complain she is not being allowed to do whatever she wants without having to get autorization from someone but that does not represent what really was happening at the time, just like this case.

The setting is from before the creation of fire arms as such it is sometime before 1364, as such the middle ages. Alas you didn't adressed anything I said to disprove she is spoiled but if you want another exemple of why she is not opressed as she thinks is that she WAS ALLOWEDto aprticipate in a competition in wich all the other participant were MAN in a storically MALE ONLY competition (hunting).

Lastly none of my arguments are based on "historically accuracy" but in what was presented in the story so far. Her complains are "I can't be the heir for my house", "I need to get permission from the head of the family to use the family economic prowess", "Even after being married I will have to get permission from the one shouldering the responsabilities for the family to do something".

The first one I explained already, she can't carry the name of the family as such if she is the heir and get married everything her family adquired will be merged by the groom's family and will be aprt of that family heirloom, basicly destroying the house after one or two generations.
The second one is obvious, it's like a child wanting to have unlimited use for the parents credit card without needing permission for use. The idea itself is ridiculous.
The last one is the same thing as the second one since the one that will have to deal with the consequences of her actions is the husband.

Nothing of this is hard to understand if you think even a little bit on what is being said and the consequences of it.

Users who are viewing this thread