To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Ch. 156 - School

Anyone else having an incredibly hard time keeping the current plotlines of Railgun and Mental Out separate from one another in their heads? They're both Clique-involved flashback arcs and it gets confusing reading both at the same time.

Dex-chan lover
thanks for the chapter!!

Kuroko's now taking interests in Mikoto! Can't wait for the chapter where Kuroko fell in love so hard she turned into a complete pervert!!

Anyone else having an incredibly hard time keeping the current plotlines of Railgun and Mental Out separate from one another in their heads? They're both Clique-involved flashback arcs and it gets confusing reading both at the same time.
not really, since Mental Out is a weird "cliques infighting" thingy, while this one is about one (1) idiot thinking she can bring Tokiwadai down by acting like a terrorist.

Dex-chan lover
Here we see the same tomboyish and virtuous Misaka as the one who appears in the chronologically later stories consistent with being the same person who decided to take full responsibility for Radio Noise and tried to fix it all on her own.

But at the same time, she still lacks a certain degree of firebrand and impulsiveness that we see some signs of, but not yet in full. The trifecta of annoyances that are Touma/Misaki/Kuroko really gave her a short temper.

Dex-chan lover
Railgun is the flashback, about a Chinese middle schooler mad about how her onee-sama got the short end of the stick after some scandal and conspiracy.

Mental Out, is about Tokiwadai student council elections and a supposedly dead level 5 turned into cube.

Dex-chan lover
The realisation of betrayal is getting real close now.

Mental Out isn't a flashback. It is set after Astral Buddy. Somewhere around slightly before or during British Halloween but probably before Prison Break is what I would estimate.

Dex-chan lover
yeah, most of the time it takes me a few minutes (and checking the last chapter) to figure out what series im reading, and was going on, its kinda annoying tbh.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Yeah, it is super confusing to me :/

Dex-chan lover
not really, since Mental Out is a weird "cliques infighting" thingy, while this one is about one (1) idiot thinking she can bring Tokiwadai down by acting like a terrorist.
But how do you remember which is which? Both gives identical contextual clues at the start of each chapter, so you can't [be sure which of those plotlines you are reading].

One is a frame job, the other is an election period, but "cliques infighting" accurately describes both plotlines. That's why I get confused.

Dex-chan lover
One is a frame job, the other is an election period, but "cliques infighting" accurately describes both plotlines. That's why I get confused.
But how do you remember which is which? Both gives identical contextual clues at the start of each chapter, so you can't [be sure which of those plotlines you are reading].
I mean, I get why they're confusing at the start because both arc/story use the same "cliques infighting" to start, but Railgun turned into an idiot-wannabe-terrorist, while Mental Out is somehow about the "previous 1st-ranked Level 5" mystery thing.

For context clue, I just look out for which one is discussing the terror-wannabe, which this chapter literally talked about in the 1st page "I doubt Anti-Skill really believes Tokiwadai is supporting the terror attacks".

That and well, Mental Out just had the most bullshit fight ever between the Dorm Supervisor vs a Kihara, it's kinda hard to forget tbh (frankly speaking I personally don't want to consider that fight canon at all, but that's just my opinion)

Dex-chan lover
I mean, I get why they're confusing at the start because both arc/story use the same "cliques infighting" to start, but Railgun turned into an idiot-wannabe-terrorist, while Mental Out is somehow about the "previous 1st-ranked Level 5" mystery thing.

For context clue, I just look out for which one is discussing the terror-wannabe, which this chapter literally talked about in the 1st page "I doubt Anti-Skill really believes Tokiwadai is supporting the terror attacks".

That and well, Mental Out just had the most bullshit fight ever between the Dorm Supervisor vs a Kihara, it's kinda hard to forget tbh (frankly speaking I personally don't want to consider that fight canon at all, but that's just my opinion)
Wasn't the last dozen or so chapters of mental not about the cube, and instead (like you said) about some dorm mother vs wannabe-terrorist that was allowed on premises? And railgun was mostly about people framing each others (be that with their powers like now, or with their smells earlier, and overall locking ppl into buildings for death matches), so yes, clique fights, but not the wannabe-terrorist doing anything.

Dex-chan lover
Wasn't the last dozen or so chapters of mental not about the cube, and instead (like you said) about some dorm mother vs wannabe-terrorist that was allowed on premises?
uh yes? And that's kind of hard to forget, so why would you mistake Railgun with Mental Out?
And railgun was mostly about people framing each others (be that with their powers like now, or with their smells earlier, and overall locking ppl into buildings for death matches), so yes, clique fights, but not the wannabe-terrorist doing anything.
Again, it literally talked about terror attacks on the 1st page of this chapter, I even quoted the line for you. The terror-wannabe is literally the one going around framing people, so that she can "trick" others thinking that the entire Tokiwadai is terrorists.

anw, I've said why the 2 stories are vastly different, and you seem to agree to that too, so if you can't differentiate between them then that's your skill issue.

Dex-chan lover
uh yes? And that's kind of hard to forget, so why would you mistake Railgun with Mental Out?
Because I did each time :( Probably because in both titles it was all about terrorists.
Again, it literally talked about terror attacks on the 1st page of this chapter, I even quoted the line for you. The terror-wannabe is literally the one going around framing people, so that she can "trick" others thinking that the entire Tokiwadai is terrorists.

anw, I've said why the 2 stories are vastly different, and you seem to agree to that too, so if you can't differentiate between them then that's your skill issue.
Yes, it is a skill issue :D
But that means it is an issue - it's not idiot-proof!

Dex-chan lover
In the middle of this long boring tunnel, we get Misaka who admits that she likes Tokiwadai :) Cute
And I feel like I'm in the minority that really likes Kiyoshi-Misaka friendship... I feel they're just nice foils to each other and.. I want to see Kiyoshi back :< Her friendship with Misaka feels so precious and I like Misaka's friendships where they feel more like equals rather than one is higher than the other. (Sorry Kuroko..)

Users who are viewing this thread