Tonari no Seki no Satou-san

Dex-chan lover
It's been 3 months since I've been waiting for chapter 8, it still didn't arrive.

Fed-Kun's army
I totally missed the volume 2 being released on February 14. It was even on auto-purchase. It'll be out soon.

Group Leader
Satou-san is super cute, super sweet and super nice but Yamaguchi is a super annoying, condescending, tsundere jerk. I'd much rather that they never become girlfriend and boyfriend as she deserves someone who is much nicer than him.

Group Leader
@sjiveru
Don't worry, he gets way better.

Way better at being a condescending jerk? It behoves me to understand why so many authors insist on making the MC be an condescending jerk right from the get-go. Why not make them nice right from the beginning?

Dex-chan lover
Jesus Christ on a bike @FredFriendly, stop being such a fucking nice guy. The dude is just fine, he hasn't done or said a single bad thing so far, could you possibly calm your tits?

Group Leader
@So-chan Looks like you and I are reading a different story, or perhaps you simply don't know what "condescending" means.

@FredFriendly

I think it's you who are reading a different story from us, to be honest.

While I could maybe agree, that in the first 1-2 chapters he maybe acted slightly off-putting towards her..I feel like condescending is too much of a strong word for this. As he has gotten to know her this has slowly gone away, however.
In a sense, this is a very realistic way of showing things. People rarely might like you right away... By chapter 8(there's already gone a lot of time since chap 1 in the story) at least you have to see he clearly likes her but is actively trying to deny his feelings...

Fed-Kun's army
@So-chan @Emperor_Late @FredFriendly

Speaking as the TL, I don't think condescending is the right word. The person Yamaguchi actually argues with in his internal monologue is himself. Every criticism of Satou he thinks up is his attempt to deny his budding feelings. He's not trying to prop himself above Satou or trying to feel superior to her, or that he feels Satou is necessarily inferior to him. There's a perception of Satou within Yamaguchi that is only partially revealed to the readers (and more of it will come out in future chapters) that Yamaguchi is trying to suppress with these internal monologues, but the person he's trying to convince is definitely himself. I don't think he would ever say these things to Satou herself or even to another person. I don't even think he would say these things to himself, if he didn't already have the feelings he was trying to fight. If anything, he's trying to drag things back down to level where he's not feeling anything special toward Satou. He is failing.

As I said, I translated this so I read most lines maybe 10-15 times, and on most substantive lines, I spent a fair amount of time considering the proper interpretation, and condescension has never entered my thought. Translating creative work like manga is different. You don't translate a line so much as you interpret a character, often with established personality and likes and dislikes. And it's my job to convey that total package to the readers. So insofar as a wrong impression was conveyed, I apologize. I honestly don't think that's how Yamaguchi is. Mean, yes, sometimes. Condescension, no. But it's the kind of freedom we allow ourselves in the absolute privacy of our deepest thought. And if we're judged on that, then all of us are villains.

Dex-chan lover
What the hell, this is giving me diabetes, I guess I don't need to buy a sugar anymore and just read this manga as I drink my tea

I dont know what to call this feeling, it's as if there's something off, or there's this bittersweet feeling lingering everytime i read a dialogue. and knowing next to nothing about her personal life is offputting. im enjoying it so far tho

Dex-chan lover
Thank you @ThePaulBunyanTrophy , you are a gentleman and a scholar. This manga is absolutely amazing in showing what you're describing here, which is internal denial. I think @FredFriendly is confusing internal monologue - in this case attempts at stifling his feelings - with external behavior. As you say:

>Yamaguchi is trying to suppress with these internal monologues, but the person he's trying to convince is definitely himself. I don't think he would ever say these things to Satou herself or even to another person.

Pre-fucking-cisely. All the "negative" things we've seen were just internal and were just the MC struggling with his feelings, because he doesn't know what they are outright. He has not done or said a single bad thing so far, and people are acting as if he's been abusing Satou verbally every chapter, which is hilariously out of touch.

Fed-Kun's army
I've had a modest success with people sending me proof of purchase for volume 2 of this manga. I have as of today completed chapter 9 and 10, and I'll probably do a chapter every 2 to 3 days until chapter 14 is finished. At that time, I'll upload everything with 1 week delay (the longest MD allows) so the people who have purchased the manga will have at least that week to ... I don't know, feel superior to everyone else who is waiting. More than likely, all the chapters should be available to the public in no more than 3-4 weeks from today, regardless of the purchase status. Sucks some people have to wait, but 7 chapters in 4 weeks isn't exactly the slowest release rate, right?

This was what I had in mind when I transitioned to tankoubon only release some time ago. I don't pretend to believe that this makes me any more legitimate than any other pirate scanlators (which we ALL are). And I don't plan to put the QR code for purchase on any other chapter than the first chapter of the each volume of tankoubon and will not nag or pressure people in any way other than that. Of course, this means ALL my new volume releases will follow the same pattern. And it's not all bad. People who don't buy the volume will still be able to enjoy all the chapters in a volume all in a row. Just a month or so (2 or 3 in some cases) later than some other people...

So hey, if you got $7 or so sitting around, scan that QR code and purchase that copy from CDJapan. It's a e-manga so there's no shipping. The reader ain't half bad (NOT GREAT though). I usually prefer to buy from ebookjapan but the purchase process in entirely in Japanese and you need Yahoo Japan account... If you have $3-4 extra, you can opt for a physical manga and have it shipped to you. They look great on your shelf. Don't think so much as buying something that is useless (since you can't read it) but more like paying someone (not me!) for their effort that you enjoyed.

Users who are viewing this thread