Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi - Vol. 7 Ch. 38 - Is THAT thing's meat good?

Dex-chan lover
@Nunally Of course luxury beef is not exclusive to japan. But we're talking about Japan's obsession with it and the iconic wagyu beef is just a good example since it's history is the idea of competing against quantity with quality. ie. Japan started with luxury produce due to limitations.

Dex-chan lover
Aww these four are from the Meat Faction.
I wouldn't mind crabs or shrimps sometime... but yeah I guess beef tastes better for me. I'm faction comrades with them then.

I don't understand how people that are used to eating crabs, squids, shrimps and octopus have reservations against spider meat... For me I like neither. ^^
But since I live closer to center Europe this there isn't really an ocean within a distance things would keep fresh. Thus no getting used to it in my youth.

@Nunally
And I thought Japan's obsession would be over rice.^^
I eat mostly potatoes and sometimes noodles here instead, but also rice sometimes.

Dex-chan lover
@Redice I see, but I think Wagyu is born for export and tourist purpose, because for what I see in Ms. Bird manga, on that time for normal citizen, its not considered normal to eat cattle (because of their smell & they have high value for farming & transportation, they are treated like horse). Thats why in Japanese traditional dish, outside seafood there are many vegetable dish. Plus Japan base religion is Buddha, which eat vegetables as their main diet. In short its not required for them to eat meat.

So, why wagyu meat born? I think its because of Japanese emperor modernization program (which era is it? I forgot sorry), they want to appeal to the rest of the world, especially Europe. I dont think (on that time) European think vegetables is a luxurious dish, yes? Raw fish? Eeww.. So the only choice is cow meat.

althou i coun't imagine eatin spider leg but considerin ther are people in teh world eats snails, living octopus, bugs, etc.
Spider leg sounds like possible food, it does look like crab legs XD

Dex-chan lover
@Nunally You could honestly google the information yourself instead of a hearsay from a hearsay here. But IIRC, meat was banned in japan because religion. And like most things, that changed when foreigners came. With foreigners also came trade. "Wagyu" is japan's native cattle that japan wanted to sell, but they can't really compete with the prices of beef from landmasses like America. So they made it into a luxury good because lucky them, it's actually really good meat. Add a hundred years of breeding with quality in mind (and a lot of castrated cattles), and we have the wagyu beef.

Dex-chan lover
I swear the more it releases, the fenrir is getting more and more in vibes as our dude

yosh

Dex-chan lover
@Redice well what I mean is, at the start (in 1862 after the ban lifting) most meat demand in Japan is from a foreigner (delegation & merchant) because from native Japan its not required for them to eat meat and they need to appeal for this foreigner so they need to have a better quality meats (its the born of Kobe beef), then after that they try to import to get the best quality meat, alas the imported cow isnt as good, but then they try to cross breed the import & natives one, then wagyu is born (The core breeds which collectively became known as "Wagyu" had evolved. They are derived from native cattle that had been crossed with imported breeds to improve size). So I still dont think Wagyu is born because they need to compete with cheaper products, more like its born because they need more exquisite product.

Dex-chan lover
@Nunally At least you're googling now. Believe what you like, it's your own research now. Whether it's because they want it to be special or need it to be special, either way, they have to make it special because land.

Dex-chan lover
Its good that this series got updates in a while.
If you read straight through it, then you will getting hungry and getting fat instead...

Double-page supporter
this chapter, among previous chapters, and all these comments make me real hungry rn

Users who are viewing this thread