Top Summer 2019 Anime So Far According to Japan

NTTC conducted a survey to see which new anime of Summer 2019 was the most popular in Japan. The survey received a total of 113,934 votes.

For the results, the new anime that came in first place overall is J.C Staff's Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II (or DanMachi II for short) based on a series of light novels for males titled Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? by Fujino Ōmori with a total of 9,046 votes. The anime also ranks as being the most popular among men with 6,885 votes. As for which new anime is the most popular among women it's David Production's anime adaptation of Atsushi Ōkubo shounen manga series Fire Force with a total of 2,327.

I cannot say anything about DanMachi since I have never seen this anime, nor the first one, but I have seen the first two episodes of Fire Force and it's so far one of the anime that has left a good impression on me. My sister also has shown interest in the show when she learn about it. I was expecting a little, or maybe was thinking, to see Lay-duce's anime adaptation of Mari Okada's shounen manga series O Maidens in your Savage Season by in the top list of most popular anime among women given it's subject matter, but it would appear the show did not make the cut.

If you want to see if your favorite anime of this season made the top list(s) and in what rank you can view the results here:
https://www.otakuusamagazine.com/top-summer-2019-anime-far-according-japan/

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...ans-rank-summer-2019-tv-anime-by-online-votes

Dex-chan lover
@May_Lily At first I thought it's just a generic harem fantasy, I mean with a title of Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon you can't really blame me. That's basically the only reason I held off watching it until s2 approaches. Turns out that it's a tale that roots its essence within its characters and the world they live in. Generally it has great writing and great characters which are two things that tickle my fancy. Plus the waifus are great.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN

I understand. I think anyone at first glance would make that assumption about DanMachi just by the title, as well as I would add how the one character who looks like she could be the love interest for the protagonist is dress. So it's one of those stories in which it looks to be one thing, but is an entirely other thing altogether and the better for it. Also from seeing some of the official artwork from this series from time to time, I agree there are a couple of attractive women in DanMachi (especially the two siblings in particular).

Kinda lost any expectation of decent series from japan ever since they sink unto that crap fest of isekai now only waiting for king avatar and demonic sect from the chinese

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN There used to be lots of cool innovative anime back in the days like the entire series of girl with gun from black lagoon , noire, madlax, ect. To some awesome mystery and horror like shiki, higurashi, umineko,garden of sinner,ect. or just simply anime that really touch your heart like speed grapher, kurau phantom memories, this ugly yet beautiful world,Simoun ect. Now it just devolved into cutesy moe blob and isekai trash fap fest.

Oh, the survey was for which summer anime they were still watching. The survey is skewed for that period they served and it tends to go to the more recent anime.

My faith in humanity is saved.

Literally spat my drink out when I first saw some of those top 5 choices.
#3 ISEKAI CHEAT MAGICIAN?
#2 ARIFURETTTTAAAAAA??
#5 TSUJO KAGEKI OKAA SAN? THE MILF MOTHER ISEKAI GOT A SLOT?

THOSE SCRAPPING BARREL ISEKAIS????????? THE SHiTtiest OF THE SHITTIEST ISEKAIS???
😖😣😳😱

Dex-chan lover
@crazybars The LN for Arifureta has a 8.00 on MAL meanwhile the anime is a 6. Blame the adaptation for being bad, not the author.

@Doujinftw Well isekai is just another genre with good and bad entries, alike sci-fi, mystery, and other genres. Isekai is basically just a concept which allows for fantasy to be written more easily which sets the tone for unique premises like Overlord, Saga of Tanya the Evil, Re: Zero, No Game No Life, etc. It just happens that this ease of writing is a double-edged sword which attracts a lot of inexperienced and/or uncreative writers who has enough luck to pull the right straw and gets an anime adaptation somehow.

That or isekai just isn't your cup of tea.

Aggregator gang
@Doujinftw
To some awesome mystery and horror like shiki, higurashi, umineko,garden of sinner,ect.
Your standards can't be as high as you act, if an adaptation so bad, it itself sabotaged any possibility of a second season, leaving the story completely unfinished, is awesome in your book.

Actually, after having read the LNs, while it's still great, the Garden of Sinners movies aren't that well adapted either. Especially the sixth one, whose entire story was changed due to nonsensical censorship.
At least, it never made sense for me to remove teenage prostitution as a plot point, when an earlier move had a graphic rape scene that wasn't even in the book.

In general, I can't help but notice that some of your examples are from the end of the 2000s, when people were already complaining about nearly exactly the same thing you do (everything being moe, all anime was better in the past). Makes it hard to take it seriously. Not as much as the Unimeko thing, though.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN

. . . . . . I hated the Light Novel though.

It turns into a Waifu Rom COM/ SLOOOWWWWW LIFE Japanese Light Novel with him steam rolling everything using his "ARTIFACTS" of AUTOWIN.

Dex-chan lover
@crazybars wait, it (Arifureta) turns into a romcom? For real??
I was under the impression it mostly about some dude bizarre quest to kill a god.
So can I assume Arifureta.. in a sense turn into romcom like Konosuba?

@ ABCsOfLife

Yeah, it turns into a Romcom.

The first Arc revolves around revenge. After that. . . . . it turns into a story where the MC and his Waifu Harem go to a town, GO TO MEET THE LOCALS AND GO TO TOWN ON THAT TOWN's asshole, and then move on.

Oh, did I mention it essentially becomes a Waifu hunt where he's essentially hunting for broads to beat up and add to his Harem?
DID I ALSO MENTION HIS WHOLE END GOAL IS TO GO BACK TO JAPAN AND BRING AS MANY BROADS/ WAIFUS as HE CAN CARRY????

Also spoilers
HE MARRIES CLOSE TO 8 GIRLS, AND THEY SOMEHOW ALL GET IMMORTALITY (With exceptions)

Dex-chan lover
@crazybars Welp my hope for the series has just been betrayed. I wanted a powerup isekai with romcom as a sideplot, not what the series eventually evolves into. At least in KonoSuba the tone and past character chemistry sort of fits WAIT HOLD ON IT'S GONNA TURN INTO A ROMCOM?! @ABCsOfLife

Users who are viewing this thread